Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blanco Silgranite II Anthracite: scratched--repair?

Posted by studio460 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 13:53

We have a Blanco Silgranit II sink in Anthracite (black). We just cleaned it up with Lime-Away and a Magic Eraser. Now we notice four distinct scratches/abrasions/cuts in the Silgranit surface. There's nothing on the Blanco site about buffing out scratches. A Google search didn't seem to turn up anything other than cleaning suggestions. Does anyone know if I can "buff" these out (abrade the surface below the scratch-line), or is epoxy-resin patching necessary?

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 3:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blanco Silgranite II Anthracite: scratched--repair?

I have never seen a scratch in a Silgranite sink. Never. And I've seen people try to scratch it deliberately and fail. Most of the time, what people think is a scratch is actually something like a metal mark that has abraded onto the surface because the granite composite is harder than the metal. Much like the metal marks that you'd get in the old cast iron sinks. Those usually come out with some soft scrub and elbow grease.

Or, I've seen hairline cracks from shipping damage that look like scratches. Blanco's retailer replaced that with no issues.

I've seen a damaged sink from someone using Drano in it. (Be very careful with the LimeAway and other harsh chemicals. It's only suitable for very brief exposure to Silgranite. If you have hard water issues, the better route is to treat the hard water. That will take care of all of the deposits inside the pipes as well as the water spots on them.) That was a denied warranty claim.

I've even seen a shattered sink where a client's husband accidentally discharged an "unloaded" pistol.

But I've never seen one with an actual scratch.

Do you have a pic?

o

Thanks for your reply--these are definitely scratches, since none pass the "fingernail test." Each scratch is perhaps 0.25-0.75mm deep. We have no idea how or when each one happened. Pictured below are four scratches visible in our five-year-old, Blanco Silgranit sink (close-ups for each follow in subsequent posts):

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 6:14

o

Close-up no. 1: (top-left; largest scratch)

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 3:49

o

Close-up no. 2 (top-right scratch):

o

Close-up no. 3 (bottom-left):

o

Close-up no. 4 (bottom-right):

o

So, we're wondering if Silgranit is really "color all-the-way-through," and if true, we could presumably abrade the area around the scratch as a possible "repair" technique. However, since each scratch appears "white" we're suspect of this approach.

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 2:51

o

Additional notes:

The sink was installed about five years ago, and has gone though "normal" wear-and-tear. We're careful not to put hot cookware in contact with the sink, and we're generally very careful with all of the components of our "new" kitchen (despite this, we also have a small chip in our Silestone engineered-quartz countertop). We don't wash tools, or any overly large cutlery or industrial cookware in it.

I remember dropping a chef's knife, straight down into the sink at least once, but don't recall if that particular event was noticed at the time to have caused any of the marks seen in these photos.

In fact, in the case of all four scratches, no one in the house has any memory of seeing one, right after the fact. Also note that the Blanco Silgranit warranty explicitily states that scratches are not covered.

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 3:44

o

That's a first for me. I've never seen a Blanco with scratches.

What model is the sink and where did you purchase it? There were a few discontinued Silgranite I models floating around at some of the discount resellers about the time you purchased your sink. The production process was improved quite a few years ago, thus Silgranite II. After the discontinuation of Silgranite I, non authorized resellers snapped them up and passed them off as II. And there are some fake Silgranite sinks from China floating about as well. Plus all of the other "name" lookalikes out there from other makers, like Kindred, etc.

If you had some diamond polishing pads and a wet polisher you could probably polish out those marks just fine. It's the rare person who has that at home. The granite component in the sink won't abrade with regular sandpaper though. The only other thing that might work to help polish the material to make the marks less noticeable would be some aluminum oxide sandpaper designed for wet sanding cars. You can get that at an automotive store.

But, even though the warranty excludes coverage for scratches, I'd still contact Blanco. They have some of the best customer service that I've seen. They can help you to figure out what can be done for your sink, and they might even replace it if you've got all of your documentation.

o

I am so surprised by these photos. I have had two Blanco Silgranit sinks, and didn't baby them, and they look like the day they were installed. Threw boiling water in them all the time, set down hot pans, banged around the heavy LC dutch ovens, knives got dropped, etc. My advice is to send these photos to Blanco, and see what they say.

o

live_wire_oak:

Thank you for that detailed reply. I suppose I could buy a diamond-abrasive pad for my oscillating tool--thanks for the suggestion. Our main concern is, where scratched, the color seemed to whiten (perhaps what we're seeing is simply deeply embedded mineral deposits). I'll call Blanco US and see what they recommend.

I believe the sink was purchased in 2006-2007 from a large online retailer (efaucets.com, or similar). The price as I recall was something like $550. The product came with the Blanco glass cutting board and stainless steel colander. The packaging appeared genuine, and I may have even checked if it was Silgranit II. But you could be right about the e-tailer selling an older, discounted product without making this clear.

Although our particular model was still shown on the Blanco website at the time of purchase (indicating that it was a current product at the time), the product was eventually discontinued some time after our purchase (I don't know how long after). I can't seem to find any images of our particular model--the one below is similar:

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 18:59

o

Mrs_Nyefnyef :

Thanks for your reply!. Even though the warranty explicitly excludes scratches, a call to customer service couldn't hurt, especially with the photos shown. Thanks for the suggestion!

o

That could be what's going on -- Silgranit II came out in 2009, so you probably have Silgranit I.

Still, reports of scratches seems so rare that you should give them a call and see what they say.

o

calumin:

Wow! Who knew? We probably bought it in mid-2008. I can at least see what they have to say. Thanks for posting that information!

o

Thanks again for everyone's comments! Regardless if Blanco decides to do anything, I at least want to consult them on a repair. If I can grind-out the marks (without making them appear worse), I'd be fine with that--this is one of the main reasons I chose "color all-the-way-through" materials for much of the house.

o

Any update on this? Frugalnotstingy also posted recently about a scratch (cinder). I've tortured my granite sample, I guess I can do the same to my silgranit color chips.

o

Yes, I'm also very interested in hearing any potential updates - we're about to purchase our sink (also following Frugalnotstingy's cinder sink scratch) and are trying to decide if this is potentially a big problem or something more of an anomaly. And very interested to find out what your contact with Blanco resulted in them coming up with.

o

When calling Blanco customer service yesterday to check on some stainless steel grids, I brought up some recent scratches with pictures demonstrating them on Silgranit sinks. Encouraged Blanco to look on the GW threads involved. The rep said use bar keepers friends to buff out the marks left by a pan on the surface but she re-iterated Silgranit sinks do not scratch. Hope they look here and there.

o

So, this morning, I took a serrated steak knife that I don't use to one of the samples that Blanco sent to me. I used the metallic grey as my guinea pig. After "sawing" through the corner with about 15 strokes, I did manage to get an indented scratch in the material...so, yes, it *does* scratch, bit it's a matter of how easily and what can cause those.

I can't imagine that studio460 took a knife to the sink and was sawing at it, so I'd really like to figure out how those were caused.

I have not yet taken any photos of the area that I scratched up nor have I tried BKF to see if it buffs out at all.

o

studio460, how did your story end? Thinking of putting in one of these sinks and just wondering how customer service responded to your problem? .Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here