Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studio460_gw

Blanco Silgranite II Anthracite: scratched--repair?

studio460
10 years ago

We have a Blanco Silgranit II sink in Anthracite (black). We just cleaned it up with Lime-Away and a Magic Eraser. Now we notice four distinct scratches/abrasions/cuts in the Silgranit surface. There's nothing on the Blanco site about buffing out scratches. A Google search didn't seem to turn up anything other than cleaning suggestions. Does anyone know if I can "buff" these out (abrade the surface below the scratch-line), or is epoxy-resin patching necessary?

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 3:54

Comments (106)

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Dark speck just left of center, pretty sure it's from the tip of a knife. I just sprayed with bleach, scrubbed and rinsed and it has remained dark.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Put a folded paper towel over the divider, pour on the bleach, cover the towel with Saran Wrap then go to bed. Pull it when you wake up, please. May work, may not.

• Katherine Wong
    5 years ago

I have an anthracite blanco sink that hs discoloured around the drain hole, the bottom of the drain...it is lighter in colour and it seems like it has been abraded...how do i fix it it...tried cleaning it with baking soda and a scrubber, but reluctant to use bleach and water....i am not sure if it is a hard water stain or not...can anybody help me out?? Thank you.

• pilatesmom3
    5 years ago

Katherine Wong - if you can post a picture, that might help people give you a suggestion on a remedy.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Katherine:

You're not fixing it probably. It may be possible to refinish with some diamond pads on a grinder with a skilled operator, but I'd make you text me that you know the sink is ruined before I'd touch it.

It's not that tough to replace a sink. No, the countertops don't have to be pulled. Ever.

• Katherine Wong
    5 years ago

Thanks Joseph...i used baking soda and a non steel wool scrubber and it took the discolouration off..it must have been a water stain. My sink looks as good as new...purchased the Silgranite I version and there are no scratches or nicks...now that the discoloration has been removed, it looks perfect.....thanks again.

• griffster90
    5 years ago

I found this thread and wanted to post since we're having the same experience with a year old sink. We had the metallic gray installed during our kitchen reno last summer and recently found 2 chips in it. We don't remember dropping anything in it and wipe it out nightly and just noticed them which seems strange. I emailed Blanco but considering they specifically say chips aren't covered I am not hopeful. I'm really disappointed - I picked this sink specifically because it's supposed to be so durable and was not expecting to have these issues 13 months in.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Pictures, please.

• griffster90
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Were this an acrylic (Corian) sink, I'd have those disappeared in minutes. No such deal with the quartz composites. May be possible, but I've never tried.

• Matthew Kress
    5 years ago

Joseph Corlett: what type of sink do you recommend for normal use? Also, can an undermount sink be replaced without ripping out the solid surface counter top?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"Joseph Corlett: what type of sink do you recommend for normal use?"

It's always about the tradeoffs. Acrylic scratches easily, but is easily repaired. Composite comes in colors and is very tough, but rare scratches and nicks are permanent; same with cast iron and fireclay. Stainless is tough, easy to scratch, but easy to refinish. Pick yer poison, please.

"Also, can an undermount sink be replaced without ripping out the solid surface counter top?"

Yes. I do it regularly. It's not a big deal to cut out the countertop section with the sink in it, replace the sink, and re-seam the top.

Here's the Karran 540 seam undermounted which replaced a white Corian 870. I never pulled the top.

• tericastrop
    5 years ago

I have had my Blanco sink less than a year. I dropped my cast iron pan while cleaning it. It is a dent you can touch and feel. I have 4 other marks in the sink caused from knife drops. Sad to hear there is not much to be done. Love the look of this sink.

• Haqiyfah Bartholomew-Kaseka
    5 years ago

When I contacted Blanco about my rough patch they pretty much told me that there isn’t anything they could do. They suggested that I buy one of those metal rack sink protector that go in the sink itself. Ridiculous

• PRO
    Anne Niedergang, Architect
    5 years ago
    Hoping someone here knows: Does anyone know how to delete an old comment or unfollow a conversation?
  • ou788234
    5 years ago

This is an update to my posting in March 2017. As a last effort to hide the chips in my white Blanco Performa Cascade Silgranite II, I used Fantastik with bleach and it worked! The chips are not visible. I also purchased the metal grid for the sink. The grid also decreased the depth of the sink which I have liked as well as protects the sink. I have had no more chips. I can live with this. However, I would not buy this sink again.

• griffster90
    5 years ago

To update: I reached out to Blanco and they sent me a new sink and free grate for the bottom (supposedly - I haven't opened the box yet). They will not pay for installation but overall happy with the service.

• Matthew Kress
    5 years ago

That's more than they did for me (or anyone else that I've seen post here) so congrats!

• vickioz
    5 years ago

I've had my Blanco Siligranit for a bit over a year. Recommended by a friend. Would not buy again!! I got white and it stains so quickly. I am constantly using Magic Eraser or Bar Keeper's Friend. I rinse after anything I pour into the sink but it stains. This week I noticed 3 little pit marks. This sink is babied, no knives dropped in, no hot skillets so not impressed with its durability. Goodness, it is a kitchen sink, it should be a little hardier than what I've experienced.

• Chris Baran
    5 years ago

I have the Blanco Diamond Siligranit in Cafe Brown and it had a good number of little chips in it. Installed in 2013. After reading this string of posts, I decided to try the Blanco recommendation of a scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend. It actually worked! The chips either disappeared or are hardly visible. I used a dish rag, not a scrubber and kept repeating the process until the marks disappeared. Good luck all. I agree these sinks should be much stronger and not so prone to scratches and chips.

• Loretta Madurski
    4 years ago

.. .

• tabdolan
    4 years ago

I have a 1 year old siligrant sink in grey and I have about 15 scratches. I am very careful with it and I only use mild cleaners in it. They told me it happens and to match an apoxy and push it in cracks with a razorblade, mind you this sink is 1 year old. I love the look of the sink but I could not recommend it as they say it is scratch resistant but I see comments all over internet of plenty of people with scratches and chips in them.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"They told me it happens and to match an apoxy and push it in cracks with a razorblade..."

Waste of time and epoxy. Won't last a minute.

• HU-166116552
    3 years ago

Where can you purchase a Blanco silgranit repair kit? Looked at the Blanco web site and it's not listed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

HU:

Please read and comprehend all the posts in front of yours. I'll repeat myself. Waste of time and epoxy. Won't last a minute.

• windyknollhouse
    3 years ago

Searching for ways to repair chips in Blanco composite sink and found this thread. Would never, ever buy a composite again - or recommend such. Ours is a light cream color. It looks horrible - and I’ve never been so careful with what ought to be the workhorse of any kitchen. Thinking of replacing it and it’s only been 5 years. Thanks for info about not using epoxy, Joseph Cornett. That was my next try. Someone here said Fantastik with bleach gets the “black” out of the chips but everything I read says do not use bleach on these sinks. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Blanco is of zero help and I cannot locate (to purchase) their repair kit.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Replace the sink:

• windyknollhouse
    3 years ago

Looks great! May I ask the manufacturer? Ours is a drop in and we want a high quality stainless with a custom grid. Thanks for the pics!

• SL SMITH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, I have a gray Blanco sink that is 1 yr old. I cannot remove stains on the side walls no matter the product, barkeepers, vinegar & baking soda, dishwasher tablets, etc. Blanco even sent some tablets but they were for hard water stains which is not my problem. I have a sink grid & live alone, use the dishwasher 95% of the time & have no idea what is causing this. They are in super odd places high on the side & the sink wall away from the faucet. This is an example. Any advice?

• varditp51
    2 years ago

I renewed my kitchen about a year and a half ago, including a white Blanco Silgranit sink. It now has about 5 or 6 pit marks. In addition, it stains very easily and I am constantly having to clean it. Baking soda works really well, but it cannot get into those tiny pitted areas, so no matter how clean it is, there are those dark spots around the base of the sink. It is only my husband and I

and we do not throw things into the sink. Occasionally something can drop, but MAN, it's a kitchen sink!!! Blanco advertises this sink as nonstain and durable. IT IS NEITHER. But, true, they do not say it is chip resistant. In fact, their warranty states, "The SILGRANIT® warranty does not cover chipping, cuts and nicks..." I am very disappointed that it chips so easily. To me, this is not durability. I will look into buying the grid because I will have to live with this sink for many more years. It's a flush-mount and replacing it would most likely damage the granite countertop that it's attached to. I will definitely not be recommending Blanco to anyone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Diamond abrasives may remove the spots, however, the sink finish may be altered where the spots were removed. It may be possible to blend them in or refinish the entire sink, however, if the sink is undermounted, it could be changed in less than two hours.

• 1maps
    2 years ago

I have an anthracite Silgranit sink, installed in 2008. It has been beautiful, so I wonder if the anthracite color just holds up better. However, last year it started to look dull. There are a few small (barefly visible) scratches, but I am beginning to see the finish degrading near the drain surround. Is it likely that the Silgranit Sink Repair Kit can restore the luster?

• guitarvenue
    2 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC .......I am a bit late to the party but this is what I have. Blanco Cinder 441474, and would replace with the 440104 stainless, which I believe is what you have accomplished above. I do see a small lip around the perimeter as the sink is a bit smaller. Blanco is over the top. I will run from these sinks and go with another brand next house! Thank you for your input. Joseph Corlett, LLC

• treesy507
    2 years ago

I also have the blanco Silgeanit in white. I purchased the grids before the sink was even installed and I continue to see more and more pitts. Its so disheartening to read these comments. This sink was not cheap! I didn’t want stainless steel; I was sick of shining it up. It’s horrible to know they don’t stand behind their product. The only thing I’ve ever used to clean the sink is baking soda so with the grids and the mild cleaning, there’s no reason for any marks. How sad all our hard earned money can’t be backed by the company.

• tj edward
    2 years ago

Dont like it at all anymore. I have found that dawn power spray works almost as good as barskeepers and is much easier to use. In my opinion, my sink rinsed beautifully with water alone until I used barkeepers on it. After that, it seemed more pourous and has continued to stain more readily as time goes on. I still use barkeepers because it cleans it well. i just wonder if it somehow makes the surface less stainproof. I do not reccoment blanco sinks. I know two others with one and they all have chips within a year of install. All those specs are chips. My sink always looks dirty.

• 1maps
    2 years ago

Adding to my earlier comment -- my anthracite (black) Silgranite sink still gets dull between cleanings. I've tried washing it with Dawn, and that worked well, but getting it all rinsed off was very time-consuming. I recently had success with a new cleaning process I tried. I boiled a teakettle full of water and poured it down every side and center of the sink. Then I used Weiman Granite & Stone Daily Cleaner & Shine (a product available in most grocery chain stores). I found no white residue like I have after using Barkeepers or SoftScrub, and the sink has stayed nice looking for longer. Sharing this for whatever it's worth ...

I have a question for those of you who have said that you disliked the dullness of a stainless steel sink -- did you have a shiny stainless steel, or was it a brushed stainless? It's been over 30 years since I've had a stainless sink, but it seems as though the brushed finish might be best. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Stainless can be easily refinished.

• 1maps
    2 years ago

How is that done, Joseph?

• Shirley Pierce
    last year

I like others in this feed, had previously used Blanco and had good results, Not now ! less than one year old, in a Senior home ! loved and babied ! have 12 or more tiny dings and chips ! I do not drop anything in this sink ! Right on it is a Kitchen sink right ? it should be able to do dishes in it ! I am at this moment on Blanco's customer service line ( on hold over 40 minutes) and going to demand a new sink ! but is it going to happen ?? We'll see ! and what is it going to last like ! Ove $600.00

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Shirley:

You may get a free replacement sink from Blanco, getting it installed may be problematic. Are you in Florida?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

1maps:

A small random orbital sander and a 120, 220, 400, and red Scotchbrite grit protocol will refinish stainless steel including scratch removal. Good luck.

• Christine Power
    last year

The divider on my Siligranit Model Vienna 210 in brown seems to be chipping away. Is it possible to sand this down and and reseal it? If so, what is the process and what materials would I need.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

You can abrade it with a diamond pad protocol, but matching the factory finish will be problematic. You're better off to replace the sink.

• Gwen Fuchs
    last year

My Blanco Siligranit sink is 1/5 years old. I started noticing multiple chips (probably a dozen) in the sink about 6 months ago. We are very careful and don't drop anything in the sink ever. We never put knives in the sink. We lay our knives on the countertop until we are ready to wash them. I do NOT believe knives have caused the chips. The sink also discolored around the drain hole within a month of installation. I dry the sink frequently and find that to be a pain. I'm disappointed in this supposedly durable sink. My daughter has an off-brand, black granite sink she had installed about 2 years ago. She has no chips at all and no discoloration. I finally gave in and bought the Blanco metal grid which cost $100. A rip-off, but I'm hopeful it MAY prevent further chipping. I have no idea how the chips could have happened since only my husband and I live here and we are both extremely careful -- with a sink -- go figure!

• M Miller
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Gwen Fuchs - what color Silgranit sink do you have? The white and cream Silgranit colors behave quite differently from the darker colors. The white and cream Silgranit colors are high maintenance and do not have the durability of the other Silgranit colors which are very durable. I have had two Silgranit sinks in 2 different homes; both were the Anthracite color. We did not do much to care for them, and had teenagers at the time who threw stuff in the sinks carelessly, and after several years the sinks still look like the day they were installed.

(sometimes these one-off comments are bots; we will see if @Gwen Fuchs replies)

• Kate Hinton
    last year

6 months after we built our home we moved overseas and had to rent it out for 9 months. This is how our brand new Blanco anthracite sink looked when we came back. We do have a boiling water tap, so I wonder if this has caused the discolouration. The surface of the sink has also worn away all around the drain. I wouldn’t expect a high quality product to degrade like this in so short a timeframe. Would never buy a Blanco again.

• Colleen Lamar
    10 months ago

Same problems as everyone else, pits in my less than 2 year old Blanco Silgranit sinks. Big fat bummer, would not buy again. Blanco sent me instructions for a warranty claim. What a pain.

• duvalfowler
    last month

I hate my white Blanco Silgranit sink. It looked like crap by year two and takes a ridiculous amount of work to keep it looking even that good/bad.

• guitarvenue
    last month

Tip o' the day! Boos Lock Board Cream. It will absorb into the semi porous material and hide to a large degree imperfections!

• 1maps
    last month

guitarvenue - what color Silgranite sink have you used this on? Can you show a photo?