Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnybunch

re: counter depth refrigerators

sunnybunch
9 years ago

Hi, I need a counter depth free standing refrigerator for a new kitchen. I am sorry I didn't plan on 42" width as I thought they were all viking subzero types and out of my budget had I looked into it I would have seen GE and others make a built in less expensive. So now I am stuck with getting a free standing counter depth. I want ice it door and prefer french door style. The models offered are by LG, Samsung, Electrolux, and GE cafe they are between 23 to 24.6 cubic inches and depth at 30" maximum. Does anyone have any feedback on any of these models? Thanks

Comments (23)

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

You will get better info next door at the Appliance Forum. All I can say is I hate my Electrolux CD-FD. My appliance repairman said I should have gone with LG. The salesman had advised against it, and pushed Elux. Both are good, reputable guys. Dunno what to think.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Definitely check out the appliances forum.

I haven't had any of those models. The only brand of those I have had was a tiny LG refrigerator, which did not have ice or water through the door. That experience was a few years ago and we only lived in that house for about two years after we bought the refrigerator. But I was quite happy with it. It kept food at a constant temperature. Nothing broke and it did not need any repairs. I think we will be buying the same one again when we remodel this kitchen next year.

• fivefootzero
    9 years ago

We have a Kitchenaid CD french door. Only thing I can tell you is not only are you losing space with a CD (and I don't mind since we have a second fridge/freezer in garage), but the ice/water in the door takes up an incredible amount of space inside the refrigerator. What we have is a water spicket inside the door, and ice maker in freezer. I think this gave us the best of both worlds without sacrificing too much in space. This model also came with ice/water in the door, so you're not limited to the manufacturers you listed.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I have an Electrolux fd/cd without the ice in the door. We really like it. We thought that the icemaker broke, right after we installed it, but it turned out to be our issue. The water filter was not properly installed. So far, so good.
    Diane

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

My in-laws hate. Their LG French door fridge with ice and water. It doesn't keep a constant temperature, and when it was installed the ice maker didn't work. My FIL had a horrible time with customer service trying to get a part even after he offered to buy it even though the fridge was a day old.

I have a couple of friends with other LG products, and they have also said customer service was bad. Although reading through the problem threads on the different forums there is not a bullet proof brand. It does seem like there are some companies with better customer service than others, but luckily I've never had to use them with any of my products.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have the Samsung French Door CD with ice in the door. I love it. It has the same cu ft as my former GE sxs but everything fits and is accessible. I honestly can't believe how much stuff I can get into this refrigerator. I would say the only drawback is that the filters for the water in the door must be changed approximately every six months and they are kind of pricey (I think around $40 per cartridge).

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

IowaCommute, that is exactly what my salesman told me. That LG was the devil to contact, and nonresponsive.

I can't say Electrolux has been unresponsive. They have sent a repairman four times and gladly supplied any parts he wanted. They did finally get the lower icemaker going but the upper compartment still won't go below 45ð and I have given up and simply decided to live with it. Honestly, I think everyone has a refrigerator horror story these days. The old adage "they don't make 'me like they used to" seems particularly appropriate here.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I have a Samsung SxS CD with ice/water in the door. I don't hate it, I don't love it. I didn't really realize how much space I'd lose between the CD and the ice/water in door (compared to old Kenmore freezer on bottom).

When I shopped for new fridge (on order, rather than looking at cubic feet, I looked at linear feet of storage. If it's not accessible, it's not really useful storage. I think we've thrown away more than we've used from this fridge in the last 4 years (exaggerating just a bit, but...). I'm happy to be going back to a freezer on the bottom soon.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I love my 4 year old elux. Had an issue initially but fixed and perfect since then. The drawers are so smooth. Food keeps a long time.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I also have a KA french door/bottom freezer counter depth fridge. It has the water spigot inside the main refrigerator and the ice bin in the freezer drawer. It is 36" wide, 72" tall and I think with handles it is 30" deep.

I purchased it about 7 months ago from the scratch/dent area of a local appliance store to replace my very small (IMO) about to break down fridge that came with my house. I bought CD knowing I'd be re-modeling the kitchen and needing a CD due to the narrow galley style. I only just moved it into the final location and had the plumbing hooked up about 3-4 weeks ago.

I love it! I love the "hidden" water/ice dispensers and I find it holds a fair amount of food. Of course, I only have me and my two boys to feed, so others with larger families might have differing opinions. So far so good and no problems.

• Muffett
    9 years ago

I have an Electrolux wave touch CD FD with ice/water in the door and ice in the freezer.

I had one issue initially with the ice maker. Elux customer service was great to work with. Repair guy came and needed to replace a gasket at no cost to me. Works fine ever since.

My second choice was the GE profile CD FD but the Elux had a larger freezer opening and the fit/finish seemed to be better in my estimation.

• Muffett
    9 years ago

***removed duplicate post***

This post was edited by Muffett on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 20:47

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I hate that with appliances now you have to look for 'the best of the worst' since they don't seem to make them like they used to.

I'm very lucky that I've never had to repair any of my appliances. I did so much research on W&D last fall since we moved and needed a new set. After months of research I bought Electrolux with steam and even bought the pedestals. I absolutely love them (and we live on a farm so I know dirt). I am also secretly terrified at having spent a big chunk of money on them if they ever break down before the decade is out. I would probably just resort to washing like the Amish across from us and hanging them to dry.

When I joined GW a couple of years ago I was interested in Fisher and Paykel because of Americas Test Kitchen. F&P though seems to be so hit and miss although I am so intrigued with the dishwasher drawers I may just bite the bullet when we build our next house.

It seems like appliances now are just throw aways. My grandma has one of of he first micros on the market and an early KA stand mixer. My grandpa was really into gadgets. Her stuff if it has broken down in the last 50-70 years my dad can easily fix it. If its anything from the last two or three decades he says 'Mom you got your money out of it. Just get a new one.'

• farmhousemom
    9 years ago

I have the counter depth Samsung 23 cf French door with water/ice in door. We love our refrigerator! Yes, it holds less but we waste less now. We have had it almost two years with no problems. (If it helps, we are a family of six, with two of the kids being teen boys).

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I have the Kenmore Elite cd French door. Although that isn't a brand you asked about, I will tell you that I love it! It has water and ice in the door, and to be honest, it hardly takes up any space inside fridge. Kenmore may be made by someone else, hard to keep track of that stuff nowadays.

We are a family of four, with a teenage eating machine. Only thing we keep in garage fridge is beer.

• User
    9 years ago

I have the same fridge as @MGMum - the KA CD version with only internal ice and water, 72" tall. It's fantastic. I have 2 boys and it's plenty big enough for us, and is a great fit for our small galley kitchen. My experience with regular depth fridges is that things often get lots in the back, and that doesn't happen to us now. If I could choose again, I might have spent a bit more for the Pro version which has different handles with more clearance from the doors, simply because that's where I'm constantly cleaning away kid mess on my current model.

Fwiw, @sunnybunch, I was really obsessed with big fridges, in part because I knew our space was too small to squeeze an overflow fridge elsewhere. I mocked up a bunch of layouts trying to see if I could figure a way to get any bigger configuration, even thought long and hard about the 30" wide stand-alone fridge/freezers that Frigidaire and Kenmore make. In the end, I think this was an overthink - the only time when the space felt squeezed was at Thanksgiving, and that's just an inevitability no matter how big your fridge is! Good luck deciding!

• Barbarav
    9 years ago

MGMum and small old house, would you mind sharing the model number of your fridge? I'm wondering if it's the one I'm considering. Thanks.

• Barbarav
    9 years ago

Farmhousemom, would you share the model # of your samsung?

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Mine is KFCS22EVMS8.

I just googled it, apparently it's discontinued. I bought mine in November 2013.

• homebuyer23
    9 years ago

We have the Samsung SS CD FD. We've had it for 9 months or so and haven't had any problems. It made a very loud noise at first, but we pulled it out from wall a bit and haven't heard it since. I had read on GW about needing to give your fridge a little room to breathe in the back. I didn't want to believe it & I pushed it as close to the wall as I could! Sure enough though I think that's why it was making a weird noise at first.

I like it, it keeps my produce fresher than my old fridge I think, and I like the lighting and the water tastes good and comes out cold. I am still getting used to the smaller space a counter depth provides, you can't escape that if you need to have counter depth. Luckily we have our old fridge down the basement.
    I believe this is our model :
    Samsung RFG237AA

We got a great price on it from AJ Madison and we were quite happy with our experience ordering from there. We only got the fridge through them, but Id do it over again, great price and delivery went well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung on AJ Madison

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

We went round and round on this 'til my head hurt.

Our current fridge is a GE Monogram 84" tall 24" deep ... it's a "built in" that isn't really built in (another dumb thing that the previous owners did here!). We ***HATE*** it with the heat of a thousand white hot suns. Nothing fits - we have put all kinds of organizers to try to maximize space, even moved all sodas and the like to a beverage fridge, but it's still just not enough at 20 cu ft.

I researched and came down to two finalists - both LG models (based on recommendations & Consumer Reports reviews):

LFX25991ST 25cu ft (16.7 fridge/7.8 freezer)
    36"w / 70" h / 28.5" w/o handles

LFX28968ST 28 cu ft (18.8 fridge / 8.8 freezer)
    36" w / 69" h / 33" w/o handles

In our strange space, I have to extend the end wall next to the fridge for anything more than 26" anyway, so I ended up just going for the bigger one. The end result - by going with the 4.5" deeper model we gain 3cu ft of fridge (8 more than we have now!) and save nearly $900, plus a better config of shelves, especially in the freezer section.

Hope that helps ...

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

How deep is the average counter depth fridge? I am seeing fridges marked counter depth that are 30" deep. Shouldn't a true counter depth be 24" deep?

• theresa2
    9 years ago

lisadiu, a counter depth fridge is deeper than 24", because the counter next to it will add an inch or two and the fridge doors will extend out beyond the counter so that the doors can freely swing open.

I have a FD CD Kitchenaid 72" height and I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Refrigerator buying guide

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz