Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercymygft_gw

How much to have cabinets professionally painted?

Mercymygft
12 years ago

Does anyone know how much it would be to have cabinets professionally painted? This is for my friend who has a med/large sized kitchen.

She has light oak cabinets now that are not in bad shape, just outdated looking. I suggested maybe painting them, as opposed to replacing them especially if it would save significant money.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• neilaz
    12 years ago

Another option, reface them

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

2-5K for a professional job depending on size, complexity, and location of the job. Yes it saves money over 15K woth of new cabinets. But only if the cabinets are in good shape and really work in the current layout. If they don't have adjustible shelving, lots of drawers, and other modern conveniences like pullout trash cabinets, maybe you should at least explore the possibility of a new layout with new cabinets.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

It cost 2-5K for someone to paint your cabinets? I think for that much I would take the time to do it myself or bite the big one and buy them new.

Or she could gel stain them. Just an idea. I just gel stained my cabinets and it cost me less than a hundred dollars and they actually look really nice. And it really updated my kitchen.

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

The 2-5K estimate is spot on. Painting cabinets and getting good results takes a LOT of work. I just had a kitchen full of cabinets painted on site and it took two guys about 2 days to sand and paint on one coat. It took 4 coats to get a good finish. My kitchen is would be considered mid sized and has a fair amount of detail.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. 2-5K is what I thought.

neilaz - She priced refacing and it was really expensive.

live wire oak - Her cabinets are in pretty good shape and she is ok with the configuration she has now, that is why I suggested painting.

laranbrian and kadydid - do you have pictures of your kitchens? I would love to see them. Laranbrian how did you find your painters?

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i just got a quote from my GC this week. 3K to paint a 11x13 kitchen with cabinets on 2 sides uppers and lowers. i am debating if i want to spend the money or bite the bullet and pay to have them done. i was planning to do it but am so busy at work not sure when it will get done...seem like a lot for painting but as other posters said, it is also a lot of work.

• Mercymygft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow kadydid, your cabinets look great! I personally have been out of loop for a few years, I did my kitchen back in 2005, so I have not heard of gel staining.

How hard was that to do? And I assume the stain comes in different colors, right? What color did you use?

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

I apologize in advance for the exceedingly poor quality of the pics, but I only had my cell phone handy. As you can see we are still in the throes of renovation. Yuk!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

• kadydid
    12 years ago

It does come in different colors, but in my experience if you are working on wood that has already been refinished (like my cabinets were) it is hard to get them even unless you go pretty dark. (I have done seven gel stain projects.) I used general finishes Brown Mahogony, but have seen a lot of beautiful transformations on this site with Java from General finishes. I wouldn't say its hard, its just time consuming and you need to have an area that is not dusty where you can work on it and where they can dry. If you have a lot of nooks and crannies on your wood you have to take special care to get it even so you can see the fabric mark. And you have to realize that it will look pretty ugly before it looks pretty nice lol

I have also used minwax on a bathroom vanity and I would probably suggest you steer clear of that product, it is not as good as general finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stain freakout

• kadydid
    12 years ago

laranbrian, Oh I like your cabinets! I can see why you would keep them! lol Your kitchen is going to look awesome!!

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! We'll post to FKB when it's more presentable.

• lambsear1
    12 years ago

Check out caromalcolors.com-they have a product that is unique. And lots of people have been happpy with the outcome.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

lambsear1, Did you do your kitchen with any of the treatments that they have?

• Rene Urbanek
    8 years ago

I know I'm here years later may. Ot even get reply I'm at rju212@gmail.com and I was wondering what color gelatin is that? Is that American finishers java? I will be doing my kitchen next month. I hear so uch about Ja a. UT on Internet the sample square looks black, I want the exact color of yours, right now mine are that 70s medium maple not dark not light not attdactive, with new woodwork to dress it up, we knobs, ((again) lol. Already have all stainless & granite counters but need color advice so it comes out like yours you neve say the name of the color, thank you it's lovely

Rene'

• Rene Urbanek
    8 years ago

Forgot to mention to pics I painted those granite counters just used tinted tan kilz primer sponge painted 1 dollar art paint brushed lines Spink led copper glitter just a touch then envirotex lite epoxy that's what make it shine I hit submit on accident instead of photo to add a couple. Ore one with tan kilz primer after scrubbing they started out white. I already stripped that grass like wallpaper HG tv gave me that idea 5 years ago bcz I hated them so but now this if I add wood trim to dress up those doors will be good I hope old maple stains like new!! I love my counters I painted !!!! Ow I need to do cabinets. I can't wait please tell me gel color thanks. Anyone can email me q u estions on granite or tell me color thanks hope somebody out there sees this!!!?

• chrisstack
    7 years ago

I have red cherry cabinets, can I paint them white? Does the paint chip? I want to get them professionally painted. I live in Verona, NJ (next door to Montclair). Can anyone suggest someone?

• chrisstack
    7 years ago

kadydid, this may be a silly question, did you have to strip them first using the gel?

• Jeff Dill
    5 years ago

What do you use for stain and glaze?