Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to have cabinets professionally painted?

Posted by mercymygft (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 13:47

Does anyone know how much it would be to have cabinets professionally painted? This is for my friend who has a med/large sized kitchen.

She has light oak cabinets now that are not in bad shape, just outdated looking. I suggested maybe painting them, as opposed to replacing them especially if it would save significant money.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to have cabinets professionally painted?

Another option, reface them

o

2-5K for a professional job depending on size, complexity, and location of the job. Yes it saves money over 15K woth of new cabinets. But only if the cabinets are in good shape and really work in the current layout. If they don't have adjustible shelving, lots of drawers, and other modern conveniences like pullout trash cabinets, maybe you should at least explore the possibility of a new layout with new cabinets.

o

It cost 2-5K for someone to paint your cabinets? I think for that much I would take the time to do it myself or bite the big one and buy them new.

Or she could gel stain them. Just an idea. I just gel stained my cabinets and it cost me less than a hundred dollars and they actually look really nice. And it really updated my kitchen.

o

The 2-5K estimate is spot on. Painting cabinets and getting good results takes a LOT of work. I just had a kitchen full of cabinets painted on site and it took two guys about 2 days to sand and paint on one coat. It took 4 coats to get a good finish. My kitchen is would be considered mid sized and has a fair amount of detail.

o

Thanks for the responses. 2-5K is what I thought.

neilaz - She priced refacing and it was really expensive.

live wire oak - Her cabinets are in pretty good shape and she is ok with the configuration she has now, that is why I suggested painting.

laranbrian and kadydid - do you have pictures of your kitchens? I would love to see them. Laranbrian how did you find your painters?

o

First before
Photobucket

After some updates

Photobucket

Photobucket

After Gel stain application. This took me about 2 and a half weeks. Would have been quicker if I had not been so busy with my three kids.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

i just got a quote from my GC this week. 3K to paint a 11x13 kitchen with cabinets on 2 sides uppers and lowers. i am debating if i want to spend the money or bite the bullet and pay to have them done. i was planning to do it but am so busy at work not sure when it will get done...seem like a lot for painting but as other posters said, it is also a lot of work.

o

Wow kadydid, your cabinets look great! I personally have been out of loop for a few years, I did my kitchen back in 2005, so I have not heard of gel staining.

How hard was that to do? And I assume the stain comes in different colors, right? What color did you use?

o

I apologize in advance for the exceedingly poor quality of the pics, but I only had my cell phone handy. As you can see we are still in the throes of renovation. Yuk!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

o

It does come in different colors, but in my experience if you are working on wood that has already been refinished (like my cabinets were) it is hard to get them even unless you go pretty dark. (I have done seven gel stain projects.) I used general finishes Brown Mahogony, but have seen a lot of beautiful transformations on this site with Java from General finishes. I wouldn't say its hard, its just time consuming and you need to have an area that is not dusty where you can work on it and where they can dry. If you have a lot of nooks and crannies on your wood you have to take special care to get it even so you can see the fabric mark. And you have to realize that it will look pretty ugly before it looks pretty nice lol

I have also used minwax on a bathroom vanity and I would probably suggest you steer clear of that product, it is not as good as general finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stain freakout

o
@laranbrian

laranbrian, Oh I like your cabinets! I can see why you would keep them! lol Your kitchen is going to look awesome!!

o

Thanks for the encouragement! We'll post to FKB when it's more presentable.

o

Check out caromalcolors.com-they have a product that is unique. And lots of people have been happpy with the outcome.

o

lambsear1, Did you do your kitchen with any of the treatments that they have?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here