Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Blind" corner in upper wall cabinet - what do you keep in it??

Posted by hrumor (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 13:43

We're finally getting ready to move everything back into the kitchen.

In the past, we always had diagonal upper corner cabinets but with our new kitchen it goes straight into the corner and is only partially accessible. Granted, the corner has a more open look but I am totally at a loss how to effectively use the "dead"/blind corner space?!?! (In retrospect, an open L-shaped corner cabinet would have been better... adding it to the list of lessons learned... : )

They are 39" uppers and I would estimate that I have approx. 12" of blind space - the cabinet comes with 3 shelves but we'd be open to ditch one....

Could you share your storage ideas with or without pics?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Blind" corner in upper wall cabinet - what do you keep in it

Paper towels because it's easy to just grab a roll. Also a big package of paper napkins. I don't use the upper shelf because I'd need a step stool.

I didn't like the hinged door on the L shaped cabinet, so I'm happy with my choice.

o

@mayflowers - thanks for the response.

Didn't think of paper towels and saw myself constantly taking out the items in the front to get to a bowl or something in the back...

o

Things I don't use very often like large Tupperware cake holders. Yes, I still have some. LOL I don't have a blind corner in current kitchen. I eliminated it.

o

I'd planned to have a void in the corner so access wouldn't be an issue, but wound up with 12" of blind space anyway (long story), so I put less-used stuff there also -- quiche pans, pie plates, etc. It's still pretty prime real estate there, so I don't store the almost-never-used stuff there.

o

In the last kitchen that I had a blind corner upper, that's where the giveaway vases went. I tend to buy them at thrift stores and garage sales, and when I have an event that dictates that I cut flowers for it, I grabbed one out of there to give to the recipient and no one ever needed to worry about returning it to me. My laundry room cabinet serves that purpose now that the blind corner is gone.

o

Things I rarely use, like specialty servings pieces, etc.

Also overflow dishes that are used as backups.

o

Glasses and coffee cups- don't need the ones in the back until you've used the ones in the front so you can get at them.

Blind walls are often a net gain in storage even discounting the corner so just consider it a bonus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here