Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmakeit

Justmakeit just made it -- finished kitchen photos

justmakeit
10 years ago

I know it's customary to thank the GW forum for all the help in doing research and getting feedback, but I can't imagine anyone spending more TKO time poring over posts old and new than I did. Anyone who's spent time here will recognize the debt my kitchen owes to mpagmom, breezygirl, a2gemini. But many others have helped in many ways, large and small, seen and unseen. The generosity of the folks in this community is amazing, and helpful even for those of us who don't post often.

I'm an empty nester (at least for now), DH and I are vegetarians, and DH is a celiac. I cook dinner every night DH is in town, from scratch. We decided to renovate not because the kitchen was so bad, but just because we thought it could be a lot better. Wow, were we right! I wanted something uncluttered, bright and airy, using the same footprint as the original kitchen. I toyed with the idea of opening up the kitchen to the dining room, but took to heart Rosie's comment that it's sometimes nice to have a different room to be in. My house didn't seem to want to be opened up that way, and I like having my little kitchen dominion be separate. We did, though, add three big windows across the back of the kitchen, bumping them out about 14 inches, and running the counter out to them. This is definitely the best part of the kitchen for me -- light, air, more counter space, the illusion of a bigger kitchen. Not much of a downside there.

Here are a few details:

Cabinets: Ovation On-U Frameless
Cabinet pulls: Tob Knobs Princetonian
Counters: honed Ocean Stone quartzite
Floors: Duro Design glue-down cork
Stove: 36" Bluestar
Refrigerator: 36" Liebherr
Warming drawer: Dacor integrated
Dishwasher: Bosch (only thing we kept from the old kitchen)
Microwave: Countertop Panasonic
Sink: Custom stainless steel, two bowls, 9" and 21"
Faucet: Waterstone 5300
Backsplash: Sunflower Ming Green and Thassos, also 12 x 12 Thassos in toaster nook
Hood: 36" Vent-a-Hood
Windows: Marvin
Wall paint: Benjamin Moore Moonshine
Ceiling cans: 6" Ecosmart LEDs from Home Depot
Under cabinet lights: LED puck lights
Pendant over kitchen table: TBA, ask me 6 months from now if I've picked one by then (decision fatigue has definitely set in)

First, the old kitchen (my daughters were sad to say goodbye to the chile pepper border):

And now the new kitchen:

The all-important toaster niche for DH:

The window's deep enough that this wand really helps with opening it. (Thanks for expert window wand modeling by DD.)

The other result of such a big window bump out was that we needed battery operated shades -- !

We took an empty space in the back hall, just outside the kitchen, to put in a dumping ground/charging station/recycling bin/phone area. Soooo helpful! Gets the junk out of the kitchen.

We also transformed the back coat closet into a handy pantry.

The GC made this little between-the-studs niche for me, which I asked for on a whim. It's incredibly useful, though, for stashing little odds and ends like the garage door remote.

We needed a plug on the sink run where there was no backsplash. GW to the rescue -- I found this one in an old thread. KD likes it better than any other he's tried.

Unseemly faucet love.

Cork floor.

Spice drawer.

Double decker dish drawer -- two drawers behind one drawer front. DH was alarmed at the extra step required to get to the silverware, but he's adjusting nicely now.

Edited to add yet another photo.

This post was edited by justmakeit on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 15:03

Comments (80)

• function_first
    10 years ago

Your attention to detail shows in every pic. Beautiful kitchen -- love the sink wall with all that depth and light!!! That tile is to die for as well! Congratulations!

• powergirl
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great kitchen!! Well done!

• doonie
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I love your kitchen! What an beautiful change!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful. Great job!!!!!

• bpath
    10 years ago

I'm sure you will appreciate the deep counterspace under that pour-in-the-light window! Battery operated shades! And the exterior shot looks just as beautiful, lovely details.

The cork floor is terrific (and after ceramic tile, my tootsies are so ready for cork). My screen space show it differently in every picture; how does it read in real life?

In all, it's an airy, open space for years of happy cooking...thanks for sharing!

10 years ago

I love so many things about your beautiful kitchen; it really reflects a unique sense of style. I am wondering if you can tell me about the dimensions of your breakfast nook area. I have a similar space, and I am trying to figure out if I can make table seating work in my space. How is that area working for you?

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Your kitchen space is SO FANTASTIC!
    I wish I had seen that cork floor before I bought my tile last Monday :( I really like it and normally don't go for cork.
    Everything is so well thought out I cant believe it! Especially like the niche and the back door cabs for recycling.
    But the one thing I am stealing for sure is the exterior brackets for your lovely windows. Thank you so much for adding that exterior shot.
    Well done!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

I absolutely love your new kitchen!! I especially love the backsplash, and the pop of bright color for the kitchen chairs. And of course the huge window. I love that you got that tool to help open the windows...I still giggle when I see your beautiful windows thinking of the visual I got of people belly-flopping to open the window when you described it that way. We haven't even started demo yet but your window and a few others on here have inspired what will be mine eventually.
    You also have mad photography skills! Congratulations & enjoy!

• berardmr
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is just beautiful and the backsplash brings in such a peaceful feeling.
    Would you please share where you bought your white shelves in the kitchen area? I noticed they have lights. Ohhh, they are so pretty.

• Linda
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!! So many things to love! You must be thrilled. Especially love the bumped out windows and extra large counter, but everything works so well together!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

JustMakeIt - Wow - I love your new kitchen (and of course that gorgeous faucet!)
    Your colors pull everything together. It is such a fun but functional kitchen.
    I love your new window and "wand". I love your backsplash - and even if I don't have one - love your BS - I am originally from Reading PA - so a special place in my heart for this beauty!

Will be waiting for the KAW pictures next.

BTW- Do you have any "drooling" with your faucet - WS is in the process of redesigning the head - I have a temporary head that doesn't latch on but it is growing on me. I think you had a slight problem and was wondering if it still drooled.

• crl_
    10 years ago

That's just beautiful! Love the tile, the cork flooring and the colors. Thank you for sharing!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your frameless kitchen cabinets (style, hardware, white color for happiness and how they go up to the ceiling), your gorgeous counters, your cork floors, your beautiful refrigerator, the recessed LED lighting, your new windows (thanks for sharing that they are Marvin windows since I need new windows in my house), your unique pretty table and chairs, your pretty and calming wall color, your microwave and microwave area so the microwave is not on the counter like mine is, your pantry closet and all the organized drawers you have. Thank you for sharing. By the way, your daughter is very pretty.

• kinei
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. One question, where would I find an pop-up outlet like that?

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all the positive feedback -- so nice to hear it from people who know their kitchens :-)

Island -- I have seen the Ocean Stone quartzite polished -- it's a much darker green and less gray. Very beautiful. The Bluestar grates and stovetop are easy to clean. There's a video about cleaning the Bluestar on youtube that explained a lot for me. I don't notice a lot of cooking smells with the Bluestar, but I don't have a great sense of smell, so I'm really not a good person to ask about it. As for the color of the knobs, I think it's RAL 5018, but I don't remember exactly. If you go to an appliance store that carries the Bluestar, they should have the RAL swatch book, which is easier to use than the Bluestar website. Hope this helps!

Autumn 4 -- the refrigerator is counter depth, so the cabinets by the toaster are regular 24" depth on the bottom (and 13" on the top).

bpathome -- the cork is impossible to capture in photos, and I've been trying! Without direct light on it, it reads as a dark blue-brown. In direct sunlight, it's much lighter, but still a mixture of blue, green and brown. Also, because it has several coats of a polyurethane, it has a bit of shine to it, and even reflects the led's in the ceiling at night. Ha -- not much help, am I?

C2G3 -- ah, the breakfast nook. It's a little less than 7 feet in both directions. For years, we had a large table pushed against the wall, and the four of us sat around 3 sides of the table. I really disliked that configuration. Before we started the renovation, I got a cheap round table from Ikea to try out, 42" round. I was sooooo hoping the round table would work, and it might have if DH hadn't felt strongly that he didn't want the four chairs to be on an angle in the room (a tiny bit of OCD there). So then we found this table, which is 30" by 60", and is perfect. If there are four of us, the two on the inside would have trouble scooting behind the two on the outside to get out, but it is very comfortable when we're all sitting. A banquette might have worked best, although we didn't go that route.

berardmr -- the shelves were constructed on site by my contractor. They have internal steel brackets mounted to the studs that they then drywalled around. They look a little like the Ikea Lack shelves to me.

a2gemini -- yes, I did have the drool too. My KD, who ordered the faucet, got in touch with WS, and they sent another head. It was just like the original one -- latches the same -- but seems to be drool-free thus far. I'm curious about the redesigned one. How is it different? and why doesn't it latch? (And thanks for the WS encouragement, without which I wouldn't have ordered this beauty!)

kinei -- the pop-up outlet is from Lew Electric. It's called a PUFP-CT.

Thanks again to everyone who's commented!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wow, i justloveit!! the color palette is so wonderful. everything goes together beautifully. i love that extra touch of color with your bluestar knobs.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Just- they sent me a second identical head and it drooled as well. Then sent me a head that is similar to the traditional but more contemporary looking. I will try to take a picture tonight.
    A small % drool and most times problem is solved with a second head- but mine wasn't.
    According to WS, they are redesigning the head. I will get one of the new heads but will get to keep the temporary head as a back-up.
    DH likes the new one but I have to hold the lever to spray.
    In any case, it is a beautiful faucet and they are standing behind their workmanship.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Oh, my, I'm drooling all over my keyboard!! You have created a gorgeous space--magazine worthy for sure!

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! Congrats, and enjoy it to the fullest.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen! Where did you find the dining table?

• bowyer123
    10 years ago

What a transformation, I love it!

The BS to the ceiling is so pretty. The floors look great with those gorgeous cabinets. I also am jealous of your adjustable height shelves in your pantry, very smart! The blue knobs add a nice pop of color. Well done!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I soooo want those range knobs, but I don't have a Bluestar or anything resembling a Bluestar. *pout*

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it! Well done!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I soooo want those range knobs, but I don't have a Bluestar or anything resembling a Bluestar. *pout*

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I love everything about it! Well done!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

So beautiful! Love the tourquoise knobs, the backsplash,counters and floor! Congratulations on a fabulous transformation! Enjoy!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

So beautiful! Love the tourquoise knobs, the backsplash,counters and floor! Congratulations on a fabulous transformation! Enjoy!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Love it! The kitchen is incredibly open and airy and looks really functional. The touch of the knobs puts a smile on my face. The old cabinets were pretty, but the new ones look so much more functional and well balanced.

Would you be able to share the space in your panty between the narrow shelves and the wall? I have a space I'm turning into a pantry that I have not yet put shelves in. It will have a similar layout with narrower shelves along the long wall and some deeper shelves at the back.

• dad4diy
    10 years ago

Could you share the source of your spice jars and the cool labels on top of them?

Thanks!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

Everything wonderful about your kitchen has already been said in other posts, but I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and tell you how beautiful your kitchen is. Amazing transformation--you managed to make it look traditional and contemporary (ie timeless!). Love Love the backsplash! I think it really makes the kitchen! ENJOY!!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pricklypearcactus -- the shallow pantry shelves are 4.5" deep, and I'm so happy I got them! Having canned goods only one deep means that I don't lose track of what I have. The shelves in the sideways pantry cabinet next to the fridge are 12" deep, and I'm finding them a lot harder to use.

dad4diy -- the spice jars are from Penzeys, 2 ⅜" diameter x 2 ¾" high. They are perfect: they hold the same amount as a store-bought spice jar, but they're short and squat so they sit well in the drawer and have a big enough opening that you can get a tablespoon inside the jar. I got a 2" circle paper punch, punched the labels out of decorative paper, and used a Xyron to glue them onto the tops of the spice bottles. (If you don't know about Xyrons, let me know and I'll extol their many virtues, lol.)

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! The cabinets are lovely, but there are also so many smaller details I love: floating shelves around hood, turquoise knobs, wood and metal table, wood shelves next to table, mosaic tile, niche cabinet, grayish cork floors, etc.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Justmakeit, How many inches tall is your Ovation On-U Frameless Cabinets? How high is your ceiling? What color is your baseboard trim? Looking at your kitchen again, I am having envy of your beautiful refrigerator and your gas range with the unique knobs. I wish I did not live in a townhouse so I could add more windows in my kitchen. My kitchen only has a sliding door on one wall for light and no other windows. What size is your kitchen? I am finally ready to complete my kitchen but I have to be sure I can remove the soffit (which I do not see why I can't as others in my townhouse complex removed their soffits and they said they were empty underneath) and will have all closed cabinets. I am going back and forth between white or cherry but I am thinking that white would be better for my kitchen since I do not have much natural light. Again thank you for sharing.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I love love love it! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous kitchen, and I know you will be an inspiration to many.

10 years ago

Justmakeit, thank you so much for the information. I have almost the same size area to work with, and we have had a good sized table pushed up under a window for a long time. I have been struggling with the options of a table height counter at a right degree angle to the peninsula, a T-shaped extension of the counter into the breakfast nook area, a banquette, or getting a smaller table to work in the area. I think your solution looks wonderful from every perspective. Thanks again.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

stunning - fabulous finish choices - do you have a designer name for this? such talent!

• plumberry
    10 years ago

stunning - fabulous finish choices - do you have a designer name for this? such talent!

• Amy Austin
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, it's just gorgeous. Congratulations!

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

WOW!!! What an amazing transformation! STUNNING KITCHEN!!!

Enjoy your new space! It's gorgeous!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn2006 -- my ceiling is about 8'1" tall, and the cabinets are a couple inches shorter. I'm sorry I don't know the color of the baseboard paint. The entire kitchen is 12' x 16'. I'm a big fan of white kitchens and think they make everything brighter, but you should choose the finish you love for your cabinets!

C2G3 -- I know how tough it is to integrate a small eating area into a kitchen! If DH hadn't been adamant about not having a banquette, I might have looked into that option. I'm very happy with how this table fits, though, and I'm really really happy I didn't try to shoehorn in counter seating on the peninsula. The table works much better for us. Good luck!

plumberry -- I had a nice KD who was very helpful in figuring out what size cabinets could go where. After spending so much time here on GW, I was pretty bossy and opinionated, and I presented him with samples of what I wanted. I'm lucky he never took offense and still seemed happy to work with me!

This post was edited by justmakeit on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 15:55

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

JustmakeIt, I have contacted Ovation regarding their Ovation On-U Frameless and they will get back to me in the next few days with stores near me. I really like your cabinets and I only asked about the trim color to figure out how white the cabinets were. I really think I would like a white kitchen as I do not have a lot of natural light in my kitchen and I want the shaker look door as it is not busy and I feel will look nice in my 10" X 12" feet kitchen (that is when it is empty without cabinets.... I had thought it was bigger) with 8' ceilings. I also have a sliding door in my kitchen that has the kitchen table next to it with 4 chairs. There is no room for an island due to my kitchen table and needing room to open the sliding door and one half of a wall open to the family room.

I really wanted the Shiloh Inset Polar White Cabinets and I almost bought them at the end of 2011 but then my little Maltese, Skeeter passed away and I could not deal with anything stressful as I was grieving. I then decided to put the decision off until after tax season but then I had emergency gallbladder surgery. Now since I had water damage in my house and have to remove the floor in the kitchen and all the floors downstairs, I think it is time, I got new cabinets (to replace the builder grade oak veneer cabinets) that I have been wanting for the last few years. I still love the inset cabinets but after looking at the the diagram of my kitchen with the inset cabinets and seeing that the cabinets will have the piece of wood frame in the middle as the cabinets are framed and many of my cabinets are 39" wide, I think I would be better off with frameless full overlay cabinets.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 22:39

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

P.S. I meant are your kitchen cabinets, 36" tall or 40" tall or 42" tall? Mine are now 30" tall and I would like at least 36" tall so I have more storage and hopefully no soffit.

• sundownr
    10 years ago

You already have so many comments saying what I'm thinking but I still have to say it - I LOVE your kitchen!!! You've done a beautiful job!

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Lynn2006, I misunderstood what you were asking. My uppers are 40" tall. Hope you're able to find some nice cabinets and move ahead with your project!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Justmakeit, thank you for letting me know that yours are 40" tall which is a very nice height and would fit in my kitchen it seems. I can't wait to get moving ahead on my project. I do not need new appliances since mine are all fairly new stainless steel appliances. I also already removed the fluorescent light fixture in December 2011 and installed recessed lights so that will be one less expense.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Question about your windows- is that a triple casement or three separate casements? Any idea of the approx cost of putting in such a window? It really makes the kitchen! Also, is that a Marvin-specific wand?

• taggie
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!! Love the backsplash, range knobs, and those fabulous windows especially, but everything about your kitchen is really terrific. Great job, congrats!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Justmakeit - gorgeous kitchen! You must be so thrilled! I'm in the minority and I'm not a fan of white kitchens, but yours is just beautiful. The pops of turquoise really add so much.

If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me the height of your upper cabinets above your fridge and the upper and cabinet where your microwave is as seen in this photo:

We're planning on having something that I think is similar to the height above your MW and I'm trying to get a feel for what it might look like in real life.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Beautifully executed. Another magazine worthy kitchen! Love the windows. And the cork looks beautiful!

Say, in the pic just above, is that a rug on the floor that looks like wood or what am I seeing there?

• justmakeit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

scrappy25 -- the window came as a single piece, so I assume that's a triple casement? The cost for just the window was around 3,000. But of course, there was a fair amount of construction to open the wall, fix the brick, put a steel beam in to support the wall over the window, build out the window box, insulate the window box, and put a little roof on the window box... Those expenses I'm not sure about, and in any case, they'd depend a lot on where you live, how much your contractor charges, whether you're doing it yourselves, etc. Oh, and the wand is specific for Marvin windows, but the company that makes it has heads for other brands of windows too. I'm glad you like the window - it was a big splurge, but it makes me happy every day!

andreak100 -- thanks for the nice comments about my kitchen -- I know white kitchens don't appeal to everyone :-) Here are the measurements: over the refrigerator, the cabinets are 13.5"; over the counter, the cabinets are 40"; over the microwave, the cabinets are 25.25". (Just as a side note, our fridge is unusually tall.) The opening for the microwave is 15" tall.

deedles -- thanks! That's a strange photo: the wood thing that looks like a rug is actually the end of the kitchen table. Some kind of optical illusion there!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Thank you justmakeit - that helps a lot to have the measurements - over our fridge, we'll have about 20" and yours looked significantly smaller than what I was imagining, so I was wondering. It seems that our cabinets will be in between the two sizes I asked about. :)

And I know it's wrong of me, but I'm so very envious of that window that you did. If it wouldn't blow our budget out of the water, I would absolutely do something like that in a heartbeat for our home. I told my DH he was fortunate that I didn't see your kitchen before we got this far in our process!

• kateskouros
    10 years ago

it's beautiful! the tile is stunning. you've got to slap a magnetic chalk board on that panel that opens up.