Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on kitchen layout

Posted by Sofia_11 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:39

Hello, we are stuck on kitchen layout. Would like to hear everyone's opinion on the proposed layout sketch.
What do you think about focal wall with range top and hood proportions and placement on the wall (not centered). Should we moved it closer to the window side and make cabinets on the hood side look even? Leave the island where it is, or move it to the window side as well? Kitchen is facing great room and connected on the left to dining. All ideas and criticism are welcomed! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on kitchen layout

Here is a pics of the kitchen itself as of now.

o

I'm not bothered my the lack of symmetry on either side of the hood. Then again, symmetry was never a driving design issue for me. I'd rather have the extra prep space between sink and range as shown. However, I am surprisingly bothered by how the backsplash looks with the different tile under the hood. I don't have a logical reason why the disproportionate backslash would feel wrong and not the uppers...but to me it does.

o

I like your picture of the new layout. The island is centered with the range, which looks better than the second picture, IMHO. The only 'issue' that I see in this plan is that the island blocks the traffic from the fridge to the sink. Since you have that now, it may not be a problem in your new kitchen. I like the pantry storage, though :)

o

I like the lay out too. What would you gain functionally by centering the range on the wall. Having the extra prep space is better. I would also consider having the fridge wall cabinets the same color as the island.

Why are you demolishing the pantry and moving the ovens? Might save money on cabinets and demo cost to keep things where they are.

o

Thank you everyone for the input, after countless late nights spent with builder, we came out with slightly alternative plan. We gave up wall oven/micro and placed micro drawer in the island and going to get full 36 inch range. Instead of wall oven we will have buffet style cabinet sitting on the counter. Tomorrow we should have new drawings and I will post the updates.
Last thing that still bothers me - is fact that now the island is not centered with hood. Now I am thinking how the island light fixture will look in relation to hood...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here