Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

prepping/caring for copper sink?

melkel31
9 years ago

Anyone have tips on how to care for a copper farmhouse sink BEFORE using? I read somewhere about waxing it to help prevent water marks but they didn't say what type of wax?? anyone know or have other tips for us b4 we start using it? thanks so much!!

Comments (8)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

If you're OK with patina, it doesn't really need any extra care. Maybe wipe it out with a micrifiber cloth after you're finished for the day. If you have hard water, investing in water treatment is wise. That's not just for the sake of your sink though, that affects all of your plumbing in the house, so I wouldn't class that as extra care.

If you're not OK with patina, you'll make yourself crazy owning copper and trying to keep it pristine. It's probably the wrong material for you and you should maybe move on to a different material for your sink.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't mind the natural look of copper and I appreciate it for the material that it is :) However, if there is something i need to know for caring for the copper I am interested in that info.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I loved one of Poohpup's posts after she installed her copper sink - and a beauty!
    She used a vinegar solution to write Happy Birthday to her daughter and it removed the patina for a couple of weeks and then matched as it went back to the same patina.
    Check out Poohpup posts about copper sinks.

• poohpup
    9 years ago

I have two copper sinks in my kitchen and GreenDesigns is 100% correct. No special care required. The only thing I do to care for them is clean them with a soapy sponge. Easiest sinks ever to have in the kitchen.

My advise to you is to embrace the living finish and enjoy. I empty glasses of orange juice and toss in plates with ketchup blobs without a second thought. Scratches and "marks" disappear and it is constantly changing. I think of both my sinks as living artwork in the kitchen. GreenDesigns is right about changing materials if you're not okay with that. I'd hate my sinks if I was trying to keep the interior a uniform color. Yikes!

I never wipe mine dry for maintenance. The only time I ever wipe my sink dry is if I'm going to use ketchup to draw a message for the kids. I found that the ketchup runs and the drawing isn't as crisp if I don't wipe the sink dry first. The kids are already used to finding artwork in the sinks on holidays. :)

A2, love that you remembered my birthday message to my daughter. I just looked it up and it was for her 7th birthday. She's turning 9 in a month! Yikes again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun with my copper sink

• melkel31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so fun! :) you sound just like my good friend who calls her copper sink "sink art!" :) haha! I don't mind the changing colors at all - in fact, I am excited to see the variations in the sink over time. I did however find the manufactuers instructions that came with the sink and it said to polish with a high- end Carnauba wax BEFORE using and once a month so we did follow directions. ;) My DH polished it last night and we found that it brought out the copper color even more so it looks more copper and less brown which we LOVE! thanks again for the posts everyone!! pics of our finished kitchen to come hopefully in a week!!!! woohoo!!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

PP - thanks for finding the post - time does flly!
    I wish I had heard of your sink - I would have loved one in my kitchen...
    Melke - we will be waiting to see your artwork!

• neitsdelf
    9 years ago

I got the same sink (it came Friday). And I'm gonna do the same thing for my daughter's birthday in September (if it's in by then).

• poohpup
    9 years ago

neitsdelf, you'll love the sink! Artwork in the sink is so fun to do. I do a "Welcome Grandma!" when she comes to visit, Christmas trees, pumpkins for Halloween as well as birthday messages. The Easter eggs I tried to do didn't turn out so well. lol Just dry the inside of the sink, grab a small bowl of ketchup and get to work. I let it sit for about 15 minutes so it makes a nice bright mark. The first time I did it, I didn't dry the sink out and it just caused the ketchup to run a bit. The kids love watching the message fade with time.

Have fun and enjoy that new sink!