Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianewordsmith

painting around stemware rack

dianewordsmith
9 years ago

Does anyone have tips for painting around a stemware rack that is permanently affixed to a custom cabinet? Yes, I know it would have been easier to paint before the cabinet installation, but things didn't work out that way. The cabinet has a light built in the top, so taking it down and remounting it would be a real pain � and hubby says it's way too much trouble. Apparently contractor agrees and no one is offering to do it. So ... I'm stuck with figuring out the best way to paint around this thing. Any suggestions are welcome and most appreciated.

Comments (11)

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Lots of blue tape and patience?
    Tape off the whole thing and roll right up to it.
    Then get a tiny brush (like they use for kids crafts) to fill in the little space that you have on the wall between the wood pieces of the rack and it'll be covered up by stemware anyway so it probably only needs one coat.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'm confused. It's a straight line at the bottom of the cabinet where the cabinet ends. You're not trying to paint wall color onto the cabinet back are you?

• dianewordsmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no cabinet back. :-) That is wallboard showing behind the glass and between the slats. The cabinet is open at the bottom. (It just has side panels that extend.)

• dianewordsmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, lenzai. It just seems like that's gonna be really hard to tape.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You could paint the rack with vaseline, then use an artist's brush and your wall paint. The vaseline will keep the wall paint from sticking to the rack.

Although, I don't think taping will really bad that bad. Are all of your cabinets open in the back?

This post was edited by Errant on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:58

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd just move the wine glass.

• dianewordsmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant: I like the vaseline tip. No, the other cabinets are not open in the back. It's just this one that has the slats for the stemware rack that is proving so problematic.

This post was edited by dianewordsmith on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:19

• lenzai
    9 years ago

I like fori's tip!

Posted by fori (My Page) on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:59

• dianewordsmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lenzai: If I weren't so overwrought from gutting and redoing this kitchen, I would probably like it too. LOL! (Though I'm all for filling that glass and then emptying it ... a few times.) ;-) My nerves are worn just a bit thin.

And I appreciate all the responses! Keep 'em coming.

Posted by lenzai (My Page) on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:06
    I like fori's tip!

Posted by fori (My Page) on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:59

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Then pretend it's the cabinet back and just do the wall color below the line I did. Put a piece of molding and paint it the cabinet color if you need a line of demarcation.

• dianewordsmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not a bad idea, live_wire_oak. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by live_wire_oak (My Page) on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 17:14
    Then pretend it's the cabinet back and just do the wall color below the line I did. Put a piece of molding and paint it the cabinet color if you need a line of demarcation.