Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sw_in_austin

Soapstone fabrication questions -- need help

sw_in_austin
15 years ago

We are finalizing the details of our soapstone fabrication and I am running into some opposition from our contractor and fabricator regarding edge detail and the sink installation. We are installing a large single bowl Ticor stainless steel sink into 3cm soapstone.

Both the GC and the fabricator say that a negative reveal on the sink -- that is, the edge of the stone extending slightly beyond the edge of the sink -- is "standard." I said I wanted either a very slightly positive reveal -- like 1/8" -- or a neutral reveal. They acted like this was so strange that they could hardly believe it.

Both said the positive or neutral reveal would leave the silicone seal exposed and that I "wouldn't like it" and would be back to complain. The GC also said the fabricator could only do 90-degree corners in the sink cutout, so if the sink had rounded corners the cutout would look odd.

The GC says he thinks we should go with what the fabricator calls a "flat polish" edge: virtually square on top and bottom with just the barest edge smoothed over. I wanted to go with the "waterfall" edge, which is a 3/8-inch radius on the top and square on the bottom. I am concerned about chipping and assume the more rounded edge would be more stable.

Any thoughts? Any one out there who's had good experiences with a positive or neutral reveal? Closeup pics, maybe?

Thanks so much. We're getting toward the end of the decisions and I'll be glad to have this one made.

Comments (10)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

As far as _only_ 90 degree corners in the stone, that's utter and complete BS!! A 90" corner actually should be avoided in stone because it is a stress riser, a weak point from which a crack can start.
    If your sink has a highly polished top edge/corner, your reveal idea will be exceptional, but even if it's brushed, it's YOUR CALL!

Here's my DIY soapstone prep sink cutout with 1/2" radius edge and 4" diameter corners. The reveal is supposed to be neutral, but between my cut and the slightly irregular fireclay sink, you get what you get!

Stay strong, get what you want. The fabricator is a wanker.
    Casey

• staticfritz
    15 years ago

I have what you might call a positive reveal, though it's only about 1/16" and rounded cutouts. tell him it better be feasible, since a 24 year old grad student (me) managed to do it without professional tools or experience!

{{!gwi}}

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

Not sure if you can tell in these pics, we have a slight negative reveal. It looks very nice, is easy to clean and the silicon does not show. We have not had any problems with chipping etc as yet.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

You're right and they're wrong.

Times three! ;-)

• don_chuwish
    15 years ago

I'll add to this with my DIY photo. I meant to have a slight overhang - and that was M.Tex's advice - but after fiddling with it too much it ended up pretty much flush.

I think you can do it either way. To protect against visible silicon you just have to mask off the stone and sink, then peel away the tape after you've smoothed the caulk with a finger (but before it sets up).

- D

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your responses. I certainly have some ammunition now for further discussion with the fabricator.

Vwhippiechick -- Is that the Ticor S112? That's the sink I'm putting in. It looks great with your stone.

• kevinb_flyguy
    15 years ago

Any decent fabricator is going to give you the reveal and edge you request. Yes, a negative reveal is the most common reveal, but the person footing the bill should get to decide.

• pickles_ca
    15 years ago

Well-you can totally see the silicone around my sink. It is the thing I am most disappointed with. However, we found that my sink also did not sit level-so it was going to be a problem either way.
    Also the soapstone was DIY-so I am not going to complain about it - but it does bother me everytime I am at the sink.

I do plan to pull out the silicone and have someone that is excellent at it redo it....sometime..... If it had a perfectly clean edge - that would help.

I should have had a negative reveal - oh well, live and learn.

• vwhippiechick
    15 years ago

Yes it is the Ticor S112 sink. It is fabulous. Deep and wide so it will accomodate almost any size pot/pan/tray etc. Also love the grid that came with it!!

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for their responses (sorry it took me so long to get back). Tomorrow I'm delivering the sink to the fabricator and looking at examples of their edges and sink reveals (and talking to the really nice guy there, not the somewhat bone-headed templater) and making the final decision.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company