Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a Jenn-Air induction cooktop?

Posted by KLKH (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 13:21

I'm trying to find reviews about the Jenn-Air induction cooktop and user reviews are very difficult to come by. Does anyone have one? If so, how do you like it, and how well does the bridge element work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a Jenn-Air induction cooktop?

http://blog.yaleappliance.com/best-induction-cooktops-2014

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/cooktops-wall-ovens/electric-cooktop-ratings/models/overview/jenn-air-jei0430ads-99029734.htm

I don't have one but here are several links if you haven't seen them. Jenn Air appears to be made by Whirlpool which wouldn't thrill me but so many brand names are made by another company it seems. Whirlpool also owns KitchenAid and our dishwasher is not near the quality the first one was when it was a true KitchenAid. But I haven't seen anything bad mentioned about the Jenn Air and it is the high end Whirlpool supposedly. Hope that helps since you weren't getting responses.

Just type in 'Jenn air induction cooktops, reviews' and there is some info and discussion out there.

o

I am comparing the Jenn-Air to the Bosch 800 series (new model). They are fairly similar in pricing, with slightly different feature sets and controls. Jenn-Air offers an auto boil function that monitors a pot of water so that it does not boil over and remains boiling. Bosch offers timers that actually shut down the element when the timer ends. There's also an "autochef" function that has pre-programmed frying settings.

My local appliance store sells both and likes both. The Bosch features are probably a little cooler, but my impression is that they are both good choices. I've done a lot of research, and there are people who will always hate Jenn-Air (understandably), but Whirlpool has invested a lot of money in making the company a flagship brand for them. I may go Bosch just because the new Bosch ovens fit my needs better than any other brand in my price range, and buying both will make my overall cost less, but I'm still considering both.

I would encourage looking at live models, if you can. Controls can be a huge personal preference you aren't aware of. I quite like the Jenn-Air slider control, but you may not.

o

I had a suite of Whirlpool appliances in my last kitchen remodel and they all performed excellently. The diswasher was the quietest and provided the best cleaning I've ever seen. Obviously, these were not the entry level models. I'm sure the Jenn Air line will be even better.

I hope this anti-Whirlpool sentiment is not just a snob thing.

I also have had Jenn Air appliances--they were (at least at one point) the only company still making a downdraft and when I had to replace it, it was ridiculously expensive since they had cornered the market. It was fine...I didn't think it was any better than the Whirlpools or the Kitchen Aid refrig I had at the time.

o

ChrisinSD
'I hope this anti-Whirlpool sentiment is not just a snob thing.'

My anti Whirlpool sentiments are based on experience with our Whirlpool washer and dryer and our new KitchenAid dishwasher compared to the old one. We already had to replace a part after it was a couple years old on the new one. And then my friend's brand new KitchenAid induction range that after a year of fighting with them finally got replaced with a Samsung thru the appliance store that sold them the KitchenAid. The oven kept failing about every month or two. They replaced circuit boards 2 or 3 times and ran diagnostics. They admitted they had a problem but couldn't find it. How can a cook operate like that? So I try to avoid Whirlpool products now based on a fairly wide range of problems. I know there can be problems with any appliance, but there seem to be too many that I have heard of or experienced first hand.

o

I'Ll be watching with interest. I'll have a 36 inch jenn-air induction range within the month. Our new home comes with jenn-air appliances including this cooktop. Now to pick cookware!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here