Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Can I see a picture of your trash pull out ?

kam76
9 years ago

I am trying to figure out the hardware/configuration for my trash pull out. I'd love to see yours.
Did you do a pull or a knob, if you have a drawer above do you have the same size hardware on both or bigger on the trash pull b/c it is pulling something heavier?

Thanks!

x posted in Home Decorating

Comments (38)

• dcward89
    9 years ago

We used the same hardware on both and everywhere else in the kitchen.

The trash pullout is at the end of the run on the left of this pic.

• jrmcmich
    9 years ago

Here is picture of my trash setup. Trash in front bin and recycle in rear. Also a small drawer above for baggies and such.

• jrmcmich
    9 years ago

another picture

• jrmcmich
    9 years ago

last picture. sorry don't know how to put more than one picture in a posting.

{{!gwi}}

• jrmcmich
    9 years ago

last one

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Mine is at the end of the island on the right. I prefer pulls so the whole kitchen, except the dish hutch cab, is pulled. Pulls are also better "universal design" than knobs. I would dislike having to reach for a tiny knob to open my trash pullout. I sometimes open mine with my pinky finger only as my other fingers are dirty.

In this photo, you can see all 3 sizes of pulls I used. The pull on the trash pullout is the same size as the pull on the drawer above.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Our pull and cabinetry is the same as all others - we have a trash compactor which I -highly- recommend.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Breezy you used RH Pulls correct? Which size did you use for your trash? I just want to be sure it is big enough to grab easily. Is that a pull on your corner cabinet too? 3"?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I used the same hardware as all the other appliances and cabinets. Finger pulls only - I couldn't stand drilling through the drawer or panel fronts.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Another angle. You should ask your local countertop shop about invisible countertops. They're very convenient and easy to see what's inside. Soon to become all the rage.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Lol, schicksal that got me! Invisible counters! Are you in the ABC club instead of ABB?

• gothaml
    9 years ago

schicksal - I feel a trend coming on!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

My trash pullout is on the right. The other end is the mixer and blender. Each pullout has a pull and it is the same size as every other pull in the kitchen, 3 inches. The pullouts are 18" and each one has an internal drawer. The one in the trash has garbage bags and dishwasher soap. The pullout has a black "office type" garbage can I got for $5 at HD or Lowes and it is sideways in the pullout. At the back of the pullout I have a compost bin (covered) and I have a little handheld dustpan/broom in there as well. I hope that makes sense.

I only have a photo of the outside:

• schicksal
    9 years ago

We'll have countertops soon enough. Around July 7. It was easy to pick but there are a lot of people in line ahead of me.

With trash cans I would be as concerned with the glides as the pull. Our old cabinets had terrible ones and the drawer was heavy enough so that replacements didn't last long.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My trash pullout ended up having to be put under my sink because the adjacent cabinet had a curved door that could not accommodate the pullout. Because of that curved door and other curved doors in my kitchen I had to put my pulls vertical.
    I didn't think about having just the sink cabinet doors with horizontal pulls, so that the trash pullout pull would be horizontal as is typical. I was thinking more in terms of consistency which meant some door pulls vertical then all door pulls vertical.
    So I ended up with a vertical pull on my trash pullout. Almost 3 years later it continues to work just fine with the pull vertical. The pullout it self is a 4WCBM Series Waste Container. According to the website "these are the only bottom mount units available with Rev-A-ShelfâÂÂs patent pending Rev-A-Motion⢠Soft Open-Soft Close slide system. The innovative gas spring assisted Soft-Open allows the unit to open smoothly and the Soft-Close shuts softly, even under the heaviest of loads"

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Same pull as the drawer above (and all other drawers in the kitchen).

The only difference is that we put the pull on the frame b/c of the possibility of a heavier load and for ease of use (easier to reach top than in the middle).

In reality, the load isn't any heavier than the drawers with glass casserole dishes and/or mixing bowls or pots & pans - but the pull is still easier to use than it would have been if it had been put in the middle of the door.

Closed (cabinet on the right):

Open:

• leela4
    9 years ago

Our trash pull out is in the island; in this picture it's under the cutting board. Same size pulls on everything in our kitchen:

Garbage in front and recycle/compost behind:

Hijack alert: shicksal-who makes your finger pulls, please?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the pictures! I would love to have lids on the cans like one poster had.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Kam-- My pulls are the RH Aubrey. The trash pullout has a 6" pull. The corner susan has a 4" pull. All of my pulls, including on the uppers, are placed horizontally. 2.5 years later I'm still in love with the pulls and the pull placement and sizes.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'll check the cans for a sticker or any other kind of marking when I get home. They came with the cabinets; I was surprised when I opened the cabinet and there were two of them sitting there.

badgergal - I think the vertical pulls look great. The grain of the wood is going that direction so it totally works.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I started a message and lost it going back and forth between photobucket.
    Anyway, mine are like leela but I like her pull placement better - I was chicken to do this or even what badgergal did with hers

Ours is the left end cabinet.
    DH is a true germophobe and when I discovered servo motion ex post facto, I asked if he wanted it - said too much to go wrong - but our Miele DW has the solenoid close option...

We don't put smelly stuff in it, so no lid is easier to toss across the room. I wanted it closer to sink but couldn't do it due to code(not trash code but cooktop requirement landing zone). DH does tend to leave open. I also leave it open when cooking to practice my basketball. Who knows- UConn may need me some day-LOL - UConn grad :-)

In the end, I like the location as I said above- I can leave it open when needed and not in the way. I also use the pinky trick to decrease slime if not already open.

2+ years and works fine.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

I have knobs. We opted for knobs on everything.

We did install a blum sero drive on the trash p/o. We love it. Our dog does not open it. Kids and DH haven't broken it yet. They haven't broken the pull out yet either.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

We used 5" pulls almost everywhere. Sink and DW are opposite, very convenient. We have a double-stacked silverware slider above. (Yes, there was a debate here a while back 'bout whether that was icky; I don't find it so, mine is completely sealed from the trash area.)

• Thorbro
    9 years ago

Under sink, attached to cabinet door. Rev-A-Shelf - they have a million models. The sink is a Kohler Whitehaven with drain off-set so the trash bin will fit. Works perfect.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Thorbro,

I see you have a pullout on the left of your sink cabinet and a swing door on the right. What kind of pull do you have on the right side. Is it also a horizontal pull positioned like the left side or something different. Do you happen to have a picture of the sink cabinet closed?

Carol

• emma
    9 years ago

Boy, I am really out of date. I have not seen trash containers built into the cabinets before. Those would be way to big for me. I empty trash often to avoid smells even though I don't put a lot of food scraps in it. I just slip a trash can under the sink, I prefer it to those large containers.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

OntarioMom, I have that same set-up:

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

And our other trash pull-outs:

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I forgot to check for stickers. The pull outs say "Knape and Vogt."

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

oldbat2be,

Thanks for the picture. Same question for you, how did you handle the pull placement for the side by side doors on your sink cabinet given one was a pullout and one a swing door. Are the pulls in the same position or different?

Carol

• mweyandt
    9 years ago

Schicksal, would also love to know who made your cabinet door finger pulls!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the cabinet with doors closed. Good luck!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

schicksal- what kind of garbage bins are those? I really like them!

oh, to answer the original question. no pic yet because my pulls are on backorder, however I chose an extra long pull for my garbage/recycle pullouts (12"). There is no drawer above it (I have outlets above my trash pullout). I chose the extra long pull for two reasons:
    1) easy to pull open (I guess I was thinking no matter where you grab the handle is there)
    2) can hang a towel on it

the pull does match the other pulls in the kitchen though, as far as style

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, I love the set up with your trash can and trash bags behind it! I also love your cabinets despite always liking the shaker door. The white color is nice and they are just pretty. The handles are so nice also. Thanks for sharing.

I am back looking at everyone's set up and wishing I had more cabinets and somehow can't believe the smells would not be there and keep wanting a lid but I only see one set up with lids.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

@MG, could I pls see a couple shots of ur trash interior layout? I think I'm going to have to go with an office size trashcan too. Thanks

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

We thought this was a great idea. Our hardware guy suggested we use a different kind of pull for the garbage, so people could differentiate it from all of the other cabinets. He said guests are always looking around for which is the garbage and this does lead people to find the garbage on the first shot. We are happy with it.

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

With the door closed.