Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this shower pan mortar look right to you (URGENT)

Posted by roxpiper (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:10

We are having our bathroom remodeled and are due to start the tile this week.

A friend who has done several bathroom remodels himself came over and was horrified to see the type of mortar used in the shower pan. It is very "pebbly" and has a ton of loose pebbles in there as well. It doesn't look anything like the photos I see when I google "shower pan mortar"; they are all smooth and show no evidence of "gravel".

He said that something will eventually pierce the gray liner and that there is no way I should allow this.

I have called the contractor and he's coming over in two hours.

For what it's worth the shower pan did pass the inspection with the city, but presumably that just ensures that it has the proper slope and holds water.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this shower pan mortar look right to you (URGENT)

Get over to John Bridge tile forum. They build pans all the time and are stringent with industry standards.

o

Thanks snookums2 - done :)

Not if I will receive a response in time but we'll see - just a few minutes before he turns up now.

o

Thanks snookums2 - done :)

Not if I will receive a response in time but we'll see - just a few minutes before he turns up now.

o

If that mess is over the liner, then you have big problems. You are supposed to do the preslope first. Then the liner. Then the final mud pack, thinset, and tile.

o

It is under the liner - does that make it OK, or is it still not appropriate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here