Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

backsplash confusion - please help!

jill314
9 years ago

Hi all! I have some backsplash-related questions. I would appreciate input if you know any of the answers! :)

I have been thinking that, to save money, we will just skip a real backsplash for now and put in something after a few years if we want.

So, that's fine, but then I'm wondering, if we're just going to paint the wall, do we need the little 4" backsplash at the back of the counter that traditionally comes with laminate/granite/quartz counters? Is it a problem to just have the counter being horizontal and ending at the painted wall? So that's my first question.

Second question, the granite/quartz quotes that we have sometimes list the backsplash separately. So now I'm wondering, how does the cost of the 4" granite/quartz "backsplash" compare to a real tile backsplash that covers all the space between the counter and the bottom of the wall cabinets? I can figure cost of the tile itself, but I have no idea how much it would cost to either buy/rent the equipment to do it ourselves (novice tilers), or have a contractor do it for us. So this is my second question, what is a ballpark price point for a simple (inexpensive) tile backsplash? We have about 28 square feet to cover, and our contractor's estimate lists a labor cost of $50/hour, if that helps.

And I guess a third general question - from what I've said about the situation, do you have recommendations for me?

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

If you are planning a real backsplash, I would not go with a 4" temporary one. I'd just paint and decide later. I'd also recommend you post a pic of your granite when it is installed for advice on color etc.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I figure it takes about 15 hours+ to do a backsplash that size - day one to set up (our tile guy actually came a couple of days early to do that part). prep the wall and lay most of the tile, day 2 to finish laying tile and grout, day 3 to seal and clean up. We paid $950 recently (last week, in pricey San Francisco) to have a 20 sf tile backsplash put in. The other bid we got was nearly double ($1600+) and the guy we did hire did a stellar job.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

On my previous kitchen I couldn't decide about whether to do a backsplash but didn't want the 4" countertop material backsplash either. I bought some wood trim (I think it was valance) in the same wood as the cabinets and installed that. We really liked the way it looked and it was just enough to prevent any liquids from getting behind the cabinets. (picture at link below)

I think installing the backsplash will cost between $400-500 dollars (not counting the cost of the tile). .

Here is a link that might be useful: wood backsplash

• sandesurf
    9 years ago

Hi, My 2 cents... I agree with Funkels. Wait until you're sure. I have never liked the 4" bs. Probably because that's what I had for over 30 years. I especially don't like the look of it with tile added on top.

However, jerzeegirl's wood bs is genius! :)

• annac54
    9 years ago

If you decide to go with a tile backsplash all the way down to the counter, you need to tell the countertop fabricators so they can make sure to fit the countertop close enough to the wall. If they think you are going to use a 4" backsplash out of the same thick material as the counter, they may not be so careful and leave a large gap that may be too wide for the tile to cover.

Personally, I would just paint. If you install the 4" backsplash then later tear it out, you will probably damage the drywall and then have to repair it before you can install tile. The 4" backsplash is usually glued to the wall.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Two years ago I paid approx. $950 to have about 40 sf of backsplash installed (tile not included) in the pricey Bay Area. It took two guys about one day to prep and lay tile and then part of another day to grout. I did my own sealing. Tile is subway in brick pattern, simple bullnose on edges.

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

My 2 cents,

Don't get the 4" granite backsplash. Cant comment on what the additional cost would be (may be minimal), but the hassle of later on tearing it down, re-patching the wall, potentially damaging the counters in the process is not worth it.

If you absolutely can't do the backsplash right now, use some good quality high bioss paint designed for kitchens/bathrooms. It should last you some time with the ability to wipe down splatters, etc., Eventually you will tile over it so it doesn't matter if it deteriorates over a couple of years.

Second point, doing the backsplash is actually a pretty simple DIY job, especially if you use a simple mosaic tile design. You can get the thin set pre-mixed, pick out a nice mosaic mesh and lay it on. Applying the grout is very simple and again, you can buy pre-mixed grout. You may need to rent a tile saw, which should be fairly inexpensive. You could avoid it altogether if you buy small glass mosaic. Of course if you want to do something fancier (natural stone, complex pattern, etc.), its best to hire a professional and pay somewhere between $500-$1000. The tiling itself is only a one day job. You can do the grout and sealing yourself. Depending on which tile you pick, the cost of the tile should be somewhere between $200-$400.

I recently had an installed install 50 sq ft of a complex tile pattern, natural stone, each had to be cut at angles individually. It took him a day and a half for the whole thing including grout. The tile cost me about $700 for 50 sq ft. Attaching a pic. This pattern is definitely on the more complex side of the spectrum.