Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flysonic

wanted to share pictures of my kitchen with you

flysonic
9 years ago

Hello all,

My kitchen remodel was completed a few months ago. I have been very happy with the final product and wanted to share some of the pictures with you. Much thought was put in during the planning in order to incorporate the needs of the dogs and improve general efficiency in the kitchen. The footprint was kept almost identical in this 9'x16' medium size galley kitchen. But things are now much better organized. I will start with a couple "before" pictures.

And this is the final product. I wanted to keep a white kitchen with (mostly) white appliances that have stainless steel as accent. The countertop is white macaubus quartzite while the backsplash is marble. Even though I want the cabinets to be (off) white, I do want to designate a run of cabinets for the dog and wanted to indicate as such. So a different color was used. From pull out storage to food bowl drawer to water bowl alcove, her needs are met.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Now you see why I spend the first few minutes of each morning staring and admiring my kitchen before I start my day?

This post was edited by Super45sonic on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 13:28

Comments (48)

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

Fun kitchen. I think your doggie is not sure about it yet...
    I really like your (glass?) accent backsplash behind range, it looks cool with the marble.
    My remodel is about half finished and I already sit in my empty kitchen every morning and admire it (like right now - in a folding chair - except it's after noon now).

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

so lovely. also so funny that your pooch really does look undecided about the remodel.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Love it. The blue cabinets are very nice next to the white. I also really like the pullout next to the stove with the utensils. I wish I had space for one! It all works very well together.

• dgormish
    9 years ago

Really cool kitchen! Love all the little cabinetry touches for yourself and for your dog! Nicely done!

• Kathy Rivera
    9 years ago

Love the pop of blue on the doggie cabs! And I covet your wall niche behind the range...Beautiful counters, as well!

You need to share details - cabs, colors, tiles, etc.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

Very nice! I love it! Great ideas!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I love that your doggie has her own space. I've thought about doing something similar in the mud/laundry area for our two :)

• peony4
    9 years ago

Very nice! Lucky dog :-)

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Wow! Great transformation! I love that the dog has his own island space! Beautiful kitchen with clean lines.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I love the little dog drawing and your dog area would make any pooch jealous. I had to make mine turn away while I looked ;) So many nice little touches like the PT holder, the charging station, the mail racks, and the utensil drawer. You kept the cabinet maker busy!

Oh, but it is ironic a kitchen designed with the dog in mind doesn't match the dog! (So many of us with dogs ended up with kitchens that matched the dog's coloring -- there is an old thread to this effect)

• snopeopl
    9 years ago

What brand cabinets?

• flysonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. My dog did give me "that" look when I was taking the pictures. I didn't mean to get her into the pictures. She just thought if the drawer is out there must be something good!

The cabinets were made by the Amish carpenters in Indianna. I live in Houston so I worked with an amish cabinet reseller. I did all the design myself and the reseller was able to relate my plan to the cabinet makers. I have to admit that I was very particular, even down to which model of hinges or drawer runner to use. For example, most of the drawers used Blum runners with self closing feature. But for the food bowl drawer, self closing is undesirable since my dog pushes the bowl around when she eats. So I have to specify another brand/model of runner that self locks into position when the drawer is open. The cabinet makers claimed that if you can draw it or show them a picture, they can make it for you. In my experience that's exactly what they did! I am most pleased with the final outcome. They surely delivered everything that I have asked for.

Someone asked for details: the backsplash tiles are from Voguebay. They are strips of narrow marble tiles glued on to a 6"x24" size tile. The tiles at the centerpiece above the range are also from Voguebay. They are 2"x2" frost glass mosaic tiles. Floor is 12"x24" porcelain tiles from Daltile the Fabrique series. The wall tiles at the water alcove are also from the same Fabrique series except that they are 2"x2" mosaic. The knobs are from Topknob whereas the cabinet pulls are from "Lew's hardware". The white color of the cabinets is Benjamin Moore White Dove while the blue cabinet color is Sherwin William's Interesting Aqua. They are factory finished so I expect good durability.

And yes, I love that decal on the dog cabinets. I saw that in Esty and contacted the seller. She was able to resize it for me. Even changed the color scheme to match my kitchen.

By the way, I know my kitchen colors do not match the dog color. But I think I make up for it with the dog shower that I put in last year. I figure I have given sufficient thoughts in accommodating her in my house, a little mismatching could be tolerated.

This post was edited by Super45sonic on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 16:57

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Terrific update. It is obvious how much care and detail went into the kitchen. Like that double drawer front, hiding the deeper drawer. And obviously the pup station! I am hiding it from my pup;she would be jealous.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"The cabinets were made by the Amish carpenters in Indianna."

bravo!! I use to live in the Leo - Grabill area. We had Amish guys build on the addition to our house (in about 1970).

love the dog station. I'd want a foot pedal operated lift for the dish tho - lol!

all of the pics have not yet 'arrived' on my screen. will have to go back and see if there yet.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

what a precious fur baby! In the one pic she does look a little unsure - maybe wondering if that thing in your hand will want to eat his/her food!

looove all the drawers! bet you do more than I do - lol!

looks like a wonderful working kitchen. Dog out of your moving area and things handy for you w/o hiking a huge distance. I think I'd love a fridge with a 2 drawer freezer.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting your kitchen. I really enjoy seeing a space that has been crafted to suit a homeowner's specific wants and needs and I sense the delight you have living with this kitchen. You've done a great job working in all the storage details. Love the blue on the dog's run and the whimsical touch of the decal. A well-done kitchen with a happy vibe!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very pretty kitchen and your touches are just wonderful. I love the dog center, my dog would be sooo jealousy since she's a diva. PS. My kitchen doesn't match my dog either!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Beautiful and I love the touch of whimsy in the dog area. Thank you for sharing!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I really like your new colour scheme - it adds interest but looks harmonious. Amazing what an update the floors are too - they are very attractive. Congrats!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Love your new kitchen. Your appliances are really pretty. I had seen this new type of white appliance recently with the stainless accents and admired it. Looks great in your kitchen. Your dog station is great! I have been trying to do something like that in my laundry room right off the kitchen to make pooch world more efficient. I love some of your ideas and will be snitching some of them. Great job, love it all.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I love your colors and all the special touches. That range is gorgeous!

• deedles
    9 years ago

That range IS gorgeous... what a sleek but comfortable kitchen. I also heart your cubby behind the stove... nice touch. And, you have my favorite white granite (or is it quartz? I'm never sure...). That straight on image of your stove belongs on Houzz. Perfectly executed. Stunner of a kitchen.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Super cool kitchen and so original! I love the color scheme and especially your white appliances.

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

What a great transformation! I love all the wonderful organizational details and the special dog area.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Excellent! It looks great. I love all the secret storage solutions and little cubbies.

I thought the dog was thinking, "Hey Lady! You opened my drawer. Where's the food?"

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Your dog has the cutest little face!!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

It took quite a bit of scrolling back & forth (for me) to figure out that only the outer side of the peninsula is painted blue for doggy storage. Very cute. I think she needs a pretty blue collar to match her cabinets & she'll be set.
    Your backsplash is beautiful & I especially love the blue alcove. Gorgeous countertops!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Beautiful, love the doggie details.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Beautiful counters! And the doggie decal is great

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Dog-friendly is a new kitchen category! The pull out dog food drawer and the dog "alcove" are such nice touches, even if he doesn't quite appreciate it. I love the hidden outlets!!! So friendly and happy!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very nice! I love your puppy peninsula :)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

That is one spectacular kitchen (and one very sweet looking dog!)!!!

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen and friend!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

thanks for sharing. I love the pop of aqua you added- very fun.

please share the details of your cabinet hardware. I really like it!

• Majra
    9 years ago

Lovely backsplash and counters!

• mattiew
    9 years ago

Love, love, love the blue cabinets and whimsical doggie decal! I'm so impressed with all the little details (charging station, paper towel holder, upright utensil drawer, etc) that you thought of and incorporated.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

What a great kitchen and puppy must think it was done just for her and she is queen.
    I do think a color with blue in it would be perfect!
    Love all of your hidden storage space.

I was too chicken to do 2 faucets with my sink - I am sure you have it in here - but what is the sink and faucets. My computer is acting up a bit and lost the pictures for a bit.

DH just put in a new modem and I think it needs some tweaking.

Congratulations!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! If you'd even just gone with your new paint colors, it would have been enough, but the details you've put into it certainly make it a room to be very proud of.

Speaking of proud... your dog looks like Vanna-pooch showing off her new digs. :)

And people rolled their eyes at me when I installed a motion sensor faucet in my MBR for my cats. [snort]
    They're just jealous, as my dog would be if she were looking at the great pics of your space.

Enjoy it!

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Wow, looks great! And very well planned. Congrats on the new space!

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I love the backsplash. Very nice overall.

• flysonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments. As you can see, my dog and I enjoy the new space very much. To answer some of your questions:

1. The door knobs are Topknob model number TK32pc. It comes with an optional plate model number TK269pc as you can see in this close up.
    {{!gwi}}

2. The pull bars are from a brand called Lew's Hardware, the Dolin bar series. It comes in different sizes. You should be able to see the shape in some of the pictures above.

3. The sink is Blanco Silgranite Diamond Super Single bowl in the color called metallic gray. It has some sparkles in it. There are 2 faucets. One is the regular kitchen faucet by Delta Touch2O Trinsic 9159T-DST. The smaller one is my instant hot/cold water by Insinkerator F-HC3300C.

4. It is true that the doggie cabinets/peninsula is actually the back side of the L shape cabinet run and it was just that side that was painted blue. The biggest change was actually the direction how the cabinets were open. The old configuration left a dead corner which was useless to me. (See above "before" picture). The current configuration allows me to have full access to the space.

{{!gwi}}

5. And thank you again for the compliments for the appliances. I have decided early on that I do not want stainless steel appliances. But the pure white ones also look too "plastic" to me. So I had to be creative. The Bluestar stove is easy. I just have to order one with the white front and I got white + stainless steel accent. For the refrigerator I bought a Samsung model which comes in white including the pull bars. I then ordered stainless steel pull bars (from online part stores) and swapped the handles. Here you can take a better look of the fridge. As for the microwave, I dislike the white Sharp microwave so much that I am content to go with the stainless steel model. The Miele dishwasher allows me to put a panel on it so that takes care of the color choice. That leaves the last piece of stainless steel equipment - the ventilation hood. And I am OK with it being stainless steel.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm in love with your White Macabus! Your dog area is very inspirational. I have seen a few areas where dog dishes are tucked away and I always wondered about water (which we leave out for our dog 24hrs a day, unlike food). I like that you've solved that with pull out dog dishes (presumably for food) and a nook for always available water. My current dog water location is way too out in the open and sometimes things get dropped in the water. Thanks for sharing.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

That is the cutest thing ever, incorporating an entire area for your adorable dog! I think she looks super pleased with her new set-up. Love the niche behind your stove. Very pretty kitchen!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

What a pretty kitchen! The dog bar is too cute--love the decal and the pull-out food drawer. I really like the whole color scheme, the utensil pull-out, and the pendants. I hope you and the pup enjoy the gorgeous new space!

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

Great, so now I have to add a puppy peninsula to my kitchen reno plans....oh, and get a puppy....

Seriously, your kitchen is cute and stylish at the same time; really great job!

What breed is your dog - she's really a cutie!

This post was edited by KBSpider on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 22:59

• flysonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes KBSpider. You definitely need to get a puppy! Mine is a golden retreiver mix. Got her as a rescue about 6 yr ago. A dog that nobody wanted.
    The rescue group pulled her out from animal control which literally had loaded her up the truck heading to the gas chamber. She has been my faithful companion since then. It is only right to recognize her in my kitchen remodel. Of a different note, I am planning a bathroom remodel. Let's see what I will dream up with with the dog in mind!

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Beautiful AND Wonderful features! What a fun kitchen to get to âÂÂtourâÂÂ! The photo of your dog is hilarious -- looks like there is some sort of opinion brewing there in her face in the photo with the bowls! LOL. Thanks for posting the photos.

It was honestly exciting to see a couple ideas we are trying to implement into our design, specifically the dog food bowls in a drawer and the hidden electrical outlet. I am hoping you will share more inforamtion how the drawer operates (I see no pull/knob. It was really helpful to read what you mentioned about not using the soft close on that drawer, so we are very curious what you found for this purpose. (My boxer and boston thank you in advance).

Also, as far as the Amish cabinet reseller, do you know if this getting cabinets made like that is availlable to the West Coast? We are about ready to pull the trigger on RTA however I am apprehensive about the grade of wood used on the doors and drawer fronts being inconsistent from photos IâÂÂve seen on this forum.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and congratulations on making a great kitchen that your family and your dog will totally enjoy.

• flysonic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the compliments athomesewing! All the drawer runners in the kitchen are from Blum, with self closing soft closing features. The only exception is the dog bowl drawer because as you know, the dogs like to push their bowls around especially when they eat wet food. I have contacted Blum and they told me they don't make any runners with lock out features. I was able to find two other manufacturers that make the type of runners I want. One is Acurride model 3607. It has full extension and lock out feature. This will allow you to open the door all the way out and it will stay open. But to close it, you have to press in a little tab on the side. I don't want to bend down every time I feed her. So I went with another brand: Knope & Vogt model number 8414 hold out drawer guide (it comes in length of 2" increments). It also has full extension feature. When you open the drawer all the way out, you can feel it locks at that position. You have to push it a little (harder than when you close a self closing drawer) and then it will close half way, where it will stop at another lock out position. To close it fully, you just have to push it again. And I can do all the pushing with my foot without bending down. Now, just this runner itself only takes care of the lock out feature. As you noticed, there is no knob or pull for that drawer. I want it to open when i push the drawer face with my foot (this feature is called "press on" in the Blum family). I have to ask my cabinet installer to add an ejector inside the door to make this happen. So basically I have to use 2 different maneuvers for that drawer. Even though my kitchen is obviously catered to my dog, I also want to make it universal enough that if I ever have to sell my house and the new owner has no pet, that dog bowl drawer can still be useable to him/her. So the piece of wood holding the two bowl (basically it is a rectangular piece of wood with two round holes to drop the metal bowls in) can be removed. Once that is gone, it is just a regular drawer. The dog decal is also removable if I ever want to get rid of the dog theme. Yup, I have spent weeks and weeks before coming up with all these.

The Amish cabinet makers are really top notch. The cabinets are made of hard maple in factory painted colors. I could not say enough good things about them. They have 50 yr warranty in their product. I know the owner of the (reseller) store travels all over the country for business. If you email me I can provide you with his contact info. Just click my screen name and it will bring you to a page to email me.

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great information. I've dropped you an email. (: