Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sserra85

Almost finished High-Low Semi-DIY Kitchen

sserra85
10 years ago

Well, It;s been a long long journey. Being first time home owners, our kitchen reno was a shot in the dark for us. What started out as a "freshening-up" spiraled into a full scale gut/remodel. With limited budget (and limited talent), we turned to IKEA. When all was said and (almost) done, there are several things that I would have done differently but overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way things turned out.

We do still have several projects to finish, trim, window treatment, etc, But without further ado:

Comments (58)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Love the backsplash. You did a wonderful job.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, it is absolutely lovely. You did a great job!

• mermanmike
    10 years ago

You did such a lovely job with everything. I am really tripping on the backsplash. I am not a big backsplash person but what you did is just stunning. Kudos!

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How could I forget the BIGGEST thing in kitchen: the hood!

It was made by Jason at The Metal Peddler in PA

Thank you all for the kind words

The backsplash really is my pride and joy, it only took me one year to pick it out!!

Now I have to work on decorating and adding color...

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I especially love the backsplash (the diagonal is great) and the hood (I'm guessing it was a "high" item in your high-low description). Love your dog bowls as well.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Great job! Very pretty and I really like that backsplash too! You must be enormously proud and deservedly so. Enjoy!!

• CAGiselle
    10 years ago

Just beautiful and though everything is perfect the bc is the star of the show!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Fantastic job! That hood is really a show-stopper. What a great custom piece! Delicious honed marble. Very unique backsplash. Congratulations a lovely kitchen.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen looks fantastic! I love the backsplash with the counters.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

It's really pretty! That hood, though, is just wonderful. What metal is that?

• ao34
    10 years ago

I love it! The color scheme is great.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's not an IKEA sink, or is it?

• taggie
    10 years ago

Very nice! I don't think I've ever seen a backsplash quite like that -- I like it! Congrats on your lovely new kitchen.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!! The backsplash was incredibly challenging. I longed for color, but kept going back to just white subway tile. I was ready to settle when I found the hand made gray tiles... It was a turn around moment for me. The gray was too drab, and the white too plain. This design was the perfect compromise.

The hood is made out of aluminum, and the sink is not ikea. It is the Kohler Whitehaven 36", and I love it! I don't think I can ever settle for a smaller sink again.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Beautiful - you are very talented. I misses what your faucet is.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Fabulous! I envy your talent! Love love love the backsplash and the faucet is such a luscious looking thing. Congratulations! Wishing you much happiness in your lovely new kitchen.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! I especially love your backsplash!!!

Great job!

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really need to start being more thorough! The faucet is Kohler Parq in polished nickel.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's a quick before picture.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

What a transformation! Beautiful! You have a really good eye for proportion and color. Just wonderful. That backsplash and hood are to die for.

You said you would have done several things differently. I think your kitchen looks perfect the way you've done it. What would you have done differently?

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My list of regrets is a bit long...

The window, I initially hired a KD who gave me measurements for the window. After I fired him, I didn't even consider that the window could be made any different size. I would love to have it counter height. Instead it's awkward and high.

Design-wise I was lost. Initially we designed and installed a large peninsula. I wasn't happy with it. I really should have listened to my gut. In my very first GW post I asked for advice for fitting an island into my small-ish kitchen. We ended up ripping it out and installed an island. A very expensive change...

I'd have better lighting placement

I would have made the hood 1-2 inches shorter. I mocked it up so many times, but in the end I do feel that it is a bit overwhelming.

I know it's easy to criticize one's own work. Next time I will go in with much more knowledge, experience, and a clearer picture.

I have this forum and all the helpful advice to thank for my end result and I now consider myself a fellow TKO gardenweb member.

• gracefullyaged
    10 years ago

What size is your backsplash tile? Everything is absolutely gorgeous!

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bottom is 3 rows of 2x6 tile, the top is a gray 2x2, though I think it measures an 1/8th or so smaller.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Just regarding your comment about wanting better lighting placement: it looks from the photos like you do not have undercabinet lighting. If you are having shadows on your counters while you are trying to prep and cook, undercabinet lighting would take care of that (I know, because my ceiling cans are placed horribly, and so I use my UCL all the time because of that).

Just make sure to install the UCLs toward the front of the upper cabinetry, not toward the backsplash. You'll also need a light rail. There are many threads about UCL on the Kitchens Forum. I have xenon UCLs, which I like, but i understand LEDs are the way to go now cause they're cooler and have a lower profile.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

You did an awesome job!

• chinchette
    10 years ago

Yes, indeed, fantastic job! The one thing I disagree with you on is "limited talent". This is extremely talented and not something most first time home owners could come close to.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I really like that range hood..., an eye catcher for sure. Also love the tile and the little touch of yellow in your valance.

You did a beautiful job.

• marvelousmarvin
    10 years ago

I love those floors, which look like wood floors in the picture even though they're porcelain.

Did you use the same porcelain tiles throughout the house? I was thinking of getting tile like that for the kitchen, but then chickened out because I wasn't sure how it'd look next to wood floors if wasn't going to use the tile for the whole house.

And, did you do anything to the Ikea cabinets? When I saw the Ikea cabinets in the store, the white cabinets came across to me as too plasticy with the melamine finish.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

Great job. You have beautiful views to compliment the lovely new indoors. All around a wonderful space and for new homeowners and "lacking skills" ....well you could have fooled me ! I am glad you put in an island...it is definitely the right choice. Have to go with your gut and not outside advice many times. c

• gothaml
    10 years ago

Ooooooo, I love your backsplash! I've had the same delema as you , but I knew I wanted a dimond set pattern or something curvilinear to break up the stron horizontal and vertical elements in our kitchen (11' ceilings) we haven't even started construction yet, but I am going to remember your backsplash for when the time comes!

Can't wait to see what color you are going to add, that is one of the reasons I am going stick to neutrals for the big stuff, I am looking forward to changing up the accent scheme over the years.

• gothaml
    10 years ago

Ooooooo, I love your backsplash! I've had the same delema as you , but I knew I wanted a dimond set pattern or something curvilinear to break up the stron horizontal and vertical elements in our kitchen (11' ceilings) we haven't even started construction yet, but I am going to remember your backsplash for when the time comes!

Can't wait to see what color you are going to add, that is one of the reasons I am going stick to neutrals for the big stuff, I am looking forward to changing up the accent scheme over the years.

• raenjapan
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the hood, and don't think it should be shorter. You should let go of that "regret."

The backsplash is absolutely perfect. Great job.

• bpath
    10 years ago

The backsplash is wonderful--may I use it as a model for my own? And the pendant light over the table is striking. The whole kitchen is so crisp and refreshing, and the pendant adds a rustic touch, really lovely. Enjoy!

• c9pilot
    10 years ago

Stunning!

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@marvin, I used the wood look tile everywhere except for the bedrooms and bathrooms. In the bedrooms there is a matte finished stained oak. I really do not mind the transition, but I know a tiled home is not for everyone.

As for the Ikea cabinets, I do feel that they come off a bit plastic-y. I have a lot of glass front uppers which I feel really help with that. The bottom cabinets aren't as much of an issue because there is less light reflected off them.

If I could afford painted amish cabinets, I would have MUCH preferred them.

Deedles, The valance is temporary (it was my sad attempt at sowing). I was thinking of replacing it with woven wood roman shade. Do you have an opinion?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Fabulous kitchen, backsplash, colors and hood! Really, really like how everything turned out. Best, oldbat2be

• marvelousmarvin
    10 years ago

I was thinking about getting glass front uppers too, but I knew I wanted Adele Shaker cabinets and I didn't like the glass cabinets that came with the Adele. At one point, I was even thinking about getting some Lindigo glass uppers on one wall and mixing them with Adele uppers on the other walls and Adele base cabinets but I feared that might like too off and mis-matched.

I was trying to think through different options to try to minimize that plastic-y feeling of the Ikea cabinets, but had never really figured it out. The melamine finish may be platicy but it was also really tough so you couldn't really refinish and paint over it.

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

I love your backsplash. I want to do your bottom section for my kitchen. :) I am totally snagging your idea. ;)

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

Very very clever backsplash.

The white subway and prefect top cap row creates a wainscoting of sorts.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Awesome! I love the transformation - and that BS! Wow!! I wanted to see on a computer vs iphone before making any comments. It is spectacular!!!
    Congratulations!! Now for the KAW pictures!!

• gothaml
    10 years ago

Can I asked how you ended the backsplash at the end of your cabinet run?

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the reassuring words!

gothami, on one side the backsplash ends at the fridge, on the other side it butts up against the window moulding.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the transformation of your kitchen. I find the Ikea cabinets looking beautiful in the picture with the hardware chosen and Honed Carrara counters as well as the gorgeous floors. I also love the high end appliances chosen. Beautiful kitchen renovation that you will enjoy for years to come. Thanks for sharing.

• hmgbrd5
    10 years ago

Hi, I've found the Horus Art latte tiles, but I can't find the matching 1/4 round edge pieces. Can you tell me where you got those?

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmgbrd5... send me an email at stacy dot serra at gmail.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Love it. Awesome all around.

Is the table and chair set something still available somewhere? That scale and size is what I am looking for.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Wow, so gorgeous and you did it yourself!! How painful was the assembly of the box cabinets? We plan to do our own Ikea or other assemble yourself brand of kitchen boxes (well mostly DH will do ) and order doors from elsewhere.

Carol

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Twn85, You are extremely talented and I would love a kitchen like yours. I love the backsplash, love the counters, love the high end appliances and the range hood, love the floors, love the hardware on the cabinets, love the faucet, love no soffit, love the doggie dish area, and I actually love the way the cabinets with the glass look in your kitchen. To me from the pictures everything is just beautiful!

How tall are your cabinet doors? What size trim at the top of the cabinets and is that from Ikea? Where did you buy your curtains for that large window by the table and chairs? What size cans did you use for the lights and which light bulbs and wattage? What is the depth of your counters? How did you make the surround that covers the sides of the refrigerator?

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful kitchen.

• sarnold13
    8 years ago

What did you use for your island side panels?

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living