Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Will you have to walk around too much in your kitchen?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

I really like my kitchen plan, but when I mocked it up...I'm walking in circles to fix a meal. The plan has great work stations and looks great on paper, but I think I'd need roller skates for a holiday meal. Is anyone else concerned that you might have things laid out a bit too far apart? Or that grabbing something out of the fridge or the distance betweent the ovens and cooktop is just too far?

This has me rethinking my plan and eliminating some travel time. I'm thnking about a galley kitchen, which is what I have now. Not all the bells and whistles of the larger plans, but much less walking. Anyone else rethinking the larger layout?

Oh, and I love a big kitchen...just not a big work area. So eating area, seating, fireplace even are all wonderful. I just want everything when I'm cooking/baking, within easier reach :)

Comments (65)

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

my house is small, kitchen is 11x13 and i did not want to change the original footprint. i like the fact that i can spin and reach everything. don't think i would feel comfortable in a house that is too big, but keep in mind i am single with 2 cats - how much does 1 gal need!

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Island seating, stoves and kids don't mix. Kids often like to spread out so picture homework dropping down onto hot burners, crayons rolling over the edge, a sippy cup spilling onto a burner etc plus for anybody the heat,steam and noise of the hood while you're trying to talk makes it a not very nice place to hangout.
    Isn't there an existing house? Did you decide to remodel or do a new build?

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I would not go back to the small, compact, easy to reach all kitchen I had pre renovation. I love my new space and being able to spread out. Yes, its more walking since I purposely placed the fridge on the far wall instead of the wall closer to the dining area. I didn't like the tighter triangle layout.

I think only you can decide what you will like best. Either plan will work. I think the prep sink is the key to making a bigger space function well.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome- Roof lines...they've been an issue from day one, but I think (hope) we finally have them all worked out. For the back porch, I'm optimistic that we can include it in the back addition, but worst case scenario, we could make it a deck.

Babushka cat- That's kind of our situation...it's just me and my husband 95% of the time, so I'm rethinking the larger layout in favor of a more compact layout for every day. And we have a few more cats, too...counting the outdoor barn kitties :)

Gbsim- Good point about the seating and I'm sure my plan would be very different if we actually had kids. We have nieces/nephews and friends' kids, who like to come out to visit, but they color at the table or even in the living room at the coffee table...not at the counter. It is an existing house, with the fireplace and front window already there. And, the front wall in the dining room is brick, so not moving anywhere...we definitely have to work around it.

Dilly- Your kitchen is beautiful! I really like it and I know it's going to be a great fit for you and your family. You have two dining areas, so it makes a lot of sense to have the fridge accessible to both. And, I agree about the prep sink...how's your project going? Any new pictures?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I do agree with not making your kitchen bigger than needed in your normal day to day life style. Small kitchens (gma's) have always survived the holiday attacks!

My newer kitchen is the L shape with one run being about 6' (the inner part of it - where'd I'd be walking) by 8.5' (that includes 2' for the fridge). I'm really thrilled to have 3' of counter space that will be usable in the new place. That's plenty for me - and i won't have a big distance between any major needed 'appliance'. The stove is about 2 steps to the left from the sink and the fridge is about 2 steps to the right from it . There are many kitchens out there set up the same way turning out family sized meals on a regular basis. It's also very usable to make meals for just 1 or 2 people. I won't be making any of those family meals, but I could easily if I wanted to or needed to.

The copy of your prev LO that I still have on my computer doesn't show the measurements of it so I can't really tell but couldn't you adjust a few things to make it easier on you for the majority of the time? Maybe a 30" depth counter for the stove, move the sink a ft closer to the stove, fridge also? Put the ovens in alignment with the island. you might even have space then to the left of the fridge to put a door to the outside.

• mklee01
    11 years ago

Lavender - Close your eyes and take three deep breaths exhaling slowly each time. Clear your mind of work flow, layouts, etc. Now open your eyes and envision your kitchen. What do you see? Galley style or island or something else?

The kitchen for my new build will be done this week and I LOVE it. I designed it without an interior designer or kitchen desigher, but with lots of help from this forum. The advice I got here really helped me sort through my priorities and helped me choose the right design for my family. I made a couple of choices that went against the grain and I worried that I'd made the wrong choice until the cabinets went in. But I love my kitchen and it really works (even with a few unpleasant surprises that forced me to move the microwave from its chosen location).

So I say, go with your gut to create the kitchen of your dreams. Then, do your best to create the most efficient design that you can that stays true to your vision.

One question - in the BHG photo that you posted recently of a white kitchen with a table attached to the island, the range was in the corner. Might that work in your island kitchen design if you place the refrigerator/freezer where the range is now? I'm not sure if there is enough space, but it's a thought.

• hlove
    11 years ago

FWIW: Being the lazy cook that I am, I have to say that I love my small-ish workspace (kitchen is 14 x 14). I love that the range is so close to the island/sink and the fridge is only a couple of steps away. The only thing that is far away is the hutch (in the adjoining breakfast room) where the dishes/glasses are located. But it's not a big deal to stack it all on the island fresh out of the dishwasher and put it all away in one fell swoop.

I did put all of the baking "stuff" on the fridge run (KA mixer now sits next to the toaster), but extended the counter depth here to provide ample prep space so I wouldn't need to run back to the island. The only thing missing is a little prep sink here, but it's certainly not an impediment to baking.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Lavender - where did you find those french country canisters??? I love them!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph- Hi! Congrats on getting into your new space :) The kitchen area will be 18' x 13' so it's pretty big...and the dining room/keeping room is 18' x 14'...and good point about Gma's house surviving the 'holiday attacks' LOL

Mklee- Honestly, the fact that the sink and cooktop/range (still debating) now line up with the big front window is a huge plus, to me. And, there's so much less walking, which is another big plus. So I guess, that's what I think about over the lack of storage and extra items. I like the bigger plan, but I want to scale down and just use what I really need/love, so maybe this plan will encourage me to do that!

Hlove- Your kitchen is just wonderful! It's one of my favorites on the forum and I could so easily see visiting at the island or on the porch, with a cup of tea. And you have a great baking area, too. Definitely a lovely and functional space!

Deb- Here's the link :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to canisters

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Thanks Lavendar. I am still trying to tie up loose ends, but my kitchen is functioning now and I love it. It will probably be a while to my reveal as I had to reorder the cab over the fridge which didn't fit due to me using the measurements from my fridge manual instead of actually measuring (err... two models were in manual!!!). Also need to paint, need another box of floor tile, haven't given much thought yet to bs, need kitchen table, electrician is missing in action, etc. Its exhausting! But thanks for the compliments! Its so much nicer than my 1948 kitchen which is just a memory now (or bad dream?).

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dilly- Your new kitchen is wonderful and I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures, but I would want to wait until it's all finished, too. How do you like the banquette...and the seating by the fireplace? Your kitchen has such a great 'keeping room' feel to it (at least IMHO) that you must be loving all the space, seating and family time together :)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Lavender! Of course the bread box doesn't come with it :)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Lavender, I clicked on your link, but when you click "buy now" on that page, it takes you to a dead page. You can't buy them. Not that I was going to, but I wanted to see what the options were! I'm not having any luck finding anything remotely similar on the web. I love that bread box!!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

LL I have no input on layout, but I know how much you've been ogling the marble table, and I thought of you when I saw this on Houzz. Since you're looking at decreasing your actual "kitchen" footprint, can you do an artificial divide with more counters?

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cheerful-formality-traditional-kitchen-bridgeport-phvw-vp~163190)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Philadelphia Kitchen And Bath Superior Woodcraft, Inc.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deb- Sorry the link isn't working! I would like it even more, if all the canisters had the same writing style as the bread box. It looks a little fancier :)

Oh, try 'french canisters' under an image search. I saw some other pretty ones...let me see if I can find them, again.

Chiefly- Thanks for the picture! That's a very pretty marble table...and I like the plate rack, too. I'd still like to use marble in the kitchen...maybe between the fridge and ovens. I was thinking of wood for the cooktop counters, but this does look nice...and I like the raised backsplash, although I'd probably use some of my tile!

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/hill-section-home-rustic-kitchen-burlington-phvw-vp~34443)

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Burlington Architect Birdseye Design

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deb- I sent an email to the first company...to see if the canisters are still available. I also found the four canister set at another company...but they're a lot more expensive. And I don't see the bread box. Here's the link and I'll let you know if I get an answer to the email :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to canister set

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What I'd really like is a pot rack over the cooktop, with a downdraft vent, but I'm not sure how well that would work. Something like this...which I posted earlier.
    {{gwi:1448518}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

I do like this picture, although it will block a bit of the window over the sink. But, it would give me more venting than a downdraft...and we will have electric burners, not gas. I'd just like to know how far up I can have it, since I'm tall and want to be able to see under the hood. {{gwi:1448542}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

I like the copper hood, but maybe I've been watching too much "Ratatouille" with my nephew :) {{gwi:1896166}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I've never had a pot rack, but I would assume that even with a downdraft vent that the pots overhead would get dirty.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, they'd get dusty, at the very least! That's why I'd only put items that get used frequently...so they get washed a lot.

I really like things to be easy to reach and see, which explains the plate racks, open shelves, and glass uppers. Things have to be cleaned/dusted more often, but easier to use...and it looks good, too :)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I more meant for steam and what not from the stove.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know...I really need to find someone who has a downdraft (with electric range) and see how well it works. If it does work, then the steam and what not (I like that term) shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like I need to do more research. Maybe I'll see if any of the appliance stores actually have working models of the downdraft, to see how effective they are.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I'm not much of a pot rack fan but that one is absolutely beautiful - the copper hood is also.

hlove - love your kitchen and the view from the sink and stove.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph- Thanks!

Chiefly has me thinking about the marble table (again) so I thought I'd try one other idea. This has the cooktop/range (still deciding) with a backsplash behind it, making kind of a half wall...probably with beadboard on the back...and marble table pushed up to it. I'm thinking the marble table should be tall enough that it's just a little lower than the backsplash. {{gwi:1896167}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

If this works, then it would look something like this... {{gwi:1896169}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Or this... {{gwi:1896171}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

I'll jump in to the fray here. Just about cooking though and downdrafts. You have to consider how and what you cook and what you need to vent.

Downdrafts are not very efficient for the simple reason they have to work much harder to go against nature. Steam rises and unless your downdraft is very tall, it's not going to work well with anything higher than a frypan or small pot. They are better than nothing, and with gas burners do get some of the pollutants that gas puts out, but I wouldn't bother using one with an electric or induction cooktop.

Both dh and I are tall. I'm 5' 8" and he's over 6'. When we initially installed our hood over induction we had it at the recommend 36" above the cooktop. It really blocked the view and dh has a few scars from hitting his head on the corners. So we moved it up. I'd have to check but I think it's around 42" to 44" above the cooktop now and it still works fine for our cooking style which includes tons of stir frys. We also enjoy the view now too :)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Lavender_lass - don't have any layout advice for you (you know what you want and I know you'll get there) but wanted to say that I love your inspiration pictures.

With respect to walking around too much... our space is much larger than the old kitchen and yes there's more walking but... remember, it's good for you! I love my zones and find efficiency provided by them more than compensates for some add'l walking. Fridge is off to one side and pantry to another; 10 steps round trip between prep area and fridge and 14 between prep area and pantry. When I prep, I gather ingredients and then work.

If anything, the downside to more countertop space/separate prep zones/cleanup zones is more cleanup. I am a messy cook :) Good luck!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loves2cook4six- Thank you! It's such a relief that someone moved the vent/hood up and hasn't had a problem with it. I'm 5'10", so I don't want to be bending over, everytime I want to talk to someone in the dining area. Maybe the hood will work, after all :)

Oldbat2b- LOL! I'm sure it is good for me, but last night (after working on the horse fence for 4 hours) I kept thinking how glad I was to not walk too much, while heating up dinner. (I knew we'd be doing this, so I had leftovers all ready from the night before.) Thanks...I'm glad you like the photos! It really helps me 'see' what the space will be like, or at least what I hope it will look like.

Rosie asked me about making the wing walls a bit smaller (on the Building a Home forum) so I've made them 2' wide, instead of 3'. And, I thought I'd try a narrow 18" pantry next to the cooktop (against the wall) with a larger pantry on the rest of that wall. Any thoughts? {{gwi:1448540}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And, if I flip it over, this is what it would look like, when working in the kitchen and looking towards the dining room/keeping room. {{gwi:1448541}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

My mom says it's better 'feng shui' to have the windows (light and views) lined up. I can see that and it feels more balanced. We have to work around the fireplace (which I love) but it does make everything a little off center. The fridge/oven wall helps make the kitchen more balanced with the other spaces :)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Lavender, to me the door and pantry opposite the door make good sense of what you're thinking of. You can see how an old home could evolve this way. The door provides a reason why the counter would have been placed where it is and why the DRM starts where it does, and lining up the pantry further defines 3 separate spaces with their own reasons for being. If THAT makes sense. :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Rosie...and thank you. That's exactly what I want, for the kitchen to look like it evolved over time, but is still functional and friendly :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - you have seen our pictures but posting a couple to jog your memory
    Ours is just a bit smaller than your kitchen - 11x14.5 plus the sunroom

I just love your hearth room! It is so cozy and can't wait to see how you decorate it.

The things that concern me on your current plan - the O/M and the Refridge in the doorways. How will you get items out of the oven - does the MW open to the side or drop down.

How about moving the DW to the other side of the sink?

I know your windows, etc would prevent you from using our plan (and your design will be so much prettier when finished!)

Main L shape run - includes cook zone, clean zone, prep/serving zone

Second run - bake zone - note the fridge is close to both the prep/serving as well as the bake zone

And as you probably remember - the sunroom connects to the kitchen - but is open with the bench and the his/her cave

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gemini- Your kitchen is so pretty...I can't wait to see the backsplash up :)

Thank you for the comment and you're right about the doorways. It would also make a lot more sense to just screen the back porch (no glass) but that means the doorway would have to swing into the kitchen. So, with your observation about the fridge, this is the other idea I'd been playing around with...it means a little less prep space around the range, but there's more by the fridge and the door can open in, without hitting the ovens. What do you think?

Sorry, this is getting a bit messy...I should start over but I'm heading back out to the garden in a few minutes. Maybe tonight! {{gwi:1448544}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - Sorry - I just can't quite read your new plan - hope you plucked some goodies from the garden.
    I like your new oven/microwave location - you now have a spot to put your baked goods when they pop out of the one. I can't see the rest.

We had red Boston lettuce, sugar snap peas, basil, and sorrel from our garden tonight.
    I planted sugar snap peas - but have 3 different varieties from the same seeds.... And our garden is microscopic but intense...
    Can't wait to see you updates...

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gemini- I'm shocked! You can't decipher my five levels of white out and scrawling? LOL

Here's a (hopefully) clearer plan. I've had to give up on gardening...it's just too windy and cold, today. I'm glad your garden is doing so well! Later this week it's supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny, so hopefully I'll get the garden beds looking better, over the next few weeks :) {{gwi:1448545}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to post this just a little bit larger...and point out that I've extended the full height wall, to the end of the upper cabinet/plate rack, against the side of the ovens. This means there's 42" of countertop, but only 30" of half wall showing on either side of the cooktop/range, probably sided with beadboard to look more like an island. I think this will make the marble table look better and more balanced, in the space. What do you think?
    {{gwi:1896174}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Also, Gemini- I really like your ovens. Is that an oven/microwave or two ovens?

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been tweaking this all morning and I think I may have a good idea. What if we make the 'wing walls' 2' on the 'left side' and 5' on the right...which encloses the chair a bit more (message board on kitchen side) but leaves the 'right side' a bit more open?

Then, the oven/microwave, plate rack and pantry area would all be 7' cabinets (fridge pantry, too) so that there would be a little display above. Mostly plants (I know...dust catchers LOL) but that would make them different that the full height wing walls.

So, what do you think?

Oh, also...I'm debating about having steps from kitchen door down to the screened porch area. Usually all one level is nice, but this will really help with the roof lines and the steps will be more enclosed. Also, no steps between table and BBQ out on the patio (not shown). Thanks for checking back :) {{gwi:1896176}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Overall plan... {{gwi:1896177}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

And I really like this rug, from the cover of Country Living magazine. The blue and green would look great with the brick fireplace...but wood furniture (not painted). Although I could see painting the bench or maybe the desk. {{gwi:1896179}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - you are so funny! Loving watching you develop your kitchen. I might have to have you come to A2 to enhance my house!!

The rug would look great in your hearth room! Love the colors - subtle but there!

Would you believe our ovens are 2 different manufacturers - so 2 ovens - The top one is a GE Advantium 240 and the lower one is a Wolf E series

Now on to your kitchen -
    I see you managed to get the fridge and oven out of the doorways - The fridge was less of a problem than the oven - what is the "P" - I am sure it is obvious, but must be tired. Maybe Pantry - is it a pull out

Where will your plates, flat wear, and glasses live? Can you post any elevations? Something is bugging me, just can't figure it out...

I am not an expert (far from it if you saw all of my posts!) - so others pop in to help our friend Lavender!!

Work is quite busy - so might be a few days til I am back...

Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! Thanks Gemini :)

Your ovens look so good! I would never have guessed they're different manufacturers.

"P" is a pull out pantry! Good guess...and the other side has a larger cabinet style pantry (between the oven/microwave and the wall).

The glasses, bowls, etc. will be in the 36" upper cabinets by the sink (left side) and the plate rack will be by the range...against the oven/microwave. It will be about 30" wide. I'm hoping any extra dishes and maybe glass containers with flours, oats, corn meal, etc. will be in the glass uppers by the fridge.

I'm guessing silverware will be on the left side of the sink (maybe garbage under sink) and then I'll have lots of pull out shelves, behind doors, for the other lower cabients. Probably some drawers (top only) by the fridge area and a crock with utensils, by the range.

I like open storage and drawers are at a minimum with our mice problem. Don't get me wrong...our barn kitties make it almost impossible for one to get in the house, but when they do, they get into the drawers, not the cabinets.

I'm glad you like the rug! I love the blues and greens. Such a nice contrast to the brick fireplace and soft yellow/gold walls. Thanks, again, for checking back :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

LOL - It is making more sense to me know.
    I was worried about the DW to the right of the sink and no where to unload - but sounds like you have a plan.

One thing that I did before finalizing - I put stickies around the kitchen and then practiced "baking", "prepping", "cooking" and "cleaning" and tweaked until it all worked!

Did you see the post of our pull out pantry? Loving it! I really need to take updated pictures - the refrigerator is in its home and the pantry is packed - but this is the our pantry (and we now have hardware to open it!)

So far, we have kept the mice to the basement - and hoping they never figure out there is another level....
    I am also hopeful that the new siding is keeping them at bay - we made it all winter without any critters in the basement.

I'll be watching your plan develop.

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

Lavender! I am jealous! A greenhouse off of the kitchen! I really like your plan- - - I love french country and now you are making me re-think my kitchen!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quiltgirl- Thank you! But helping you with your layout has made me rethink mine. I was trying the island in your plan and I realized, if I closed off the doorway by the living room, I could turn the island and everything would line up much better! It's a little more of a walk to the living room, but it also blocks the noise from the TV...so I think it's a good compromise :)

What do you think? {{gwi:1448552}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

That's a prep sink on the island, with a bookcase facing the dining table. Great place for cookbooks and the fridge is near the range! Everything is easy to reach, but the baking area and I don't mind that being in its own area.

Here it is with the overall plan...and it gets rid of that long 'hallway effect' which I've never liked, with the old kitchen entrance. {{gwi:1448553}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Now this is GREAT! I really like it, you have a lot of space, it feels open and inviting, and you have seperate work zones that won't require too much walking.

It is hard to tell on your diagram, but it is possible the island could be even larger if you needed it to be.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

As for kids and islands, well you'll have your kitchen much much longer than they will be too small to sit at an island! :)

I also recently remembered a bar stool my great grandmother used to have that solved this problem, it had a fold down step ladder on the front. I found a similar one online and posted the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: step stool chair

• rhome410
    11 years ago

The kitchen plan works nicely. I'm sure you're not surprised I prefer this to some of your later plans... You're now back to a good and efficient relationship between fridge, prep, and stove. The baking center doesn't work as well as the other plan I loved, but it's handy to the main sink and should work nicely.

You might consider swapping the pantry cupboard and oven to the other end of the baking center so you have the prettier counter area more central and on view to the room. But maybe you want the baking counter bordered by the tall cabinets? I can't remember if you use your microwave much. It's usually handier to have it near the fridge, and I do things like thaw meats, and melt butter, so I like it near the stove. It all depends on how you use yours.

Mostly for this plan, you'll just have to consider if the longer route from your living room and bedroom, plus the other end of the house will be worth it. For example, will you be doing laundry while working in the kitchen and have to run back and forth? It's a long run. ;-)

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

I like it with the island. What size is it? The kitchen looks very workable. Have you chosen cabinetry yet as far as doors, drawers and pull outs? I like the whole house plan actually. Did you design it? How many square feet is the house?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Hi, Lavender,
    I like this layout much better than the galley with the marble table against the stove. As a matter of fact, this one is very similar to my layout, with the island oriented in the same direction, and DR, doorways, and sink 'window' overlooking another room, in the same locations.

Baking area is also the same, and I like being able to pivot and wash my hands. Looks as if you'd need to take a small step, but I think this will work well. The baking counter and ovens are also close enough to the island to line up cooky trays and cooling racks there.

Laura12, my grandmother had the same type of stool!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone- Thank you for the kind words!

I know the other plan was less than idea, but it lined up well with the windows in the dining room. Now, I still have that...but with a better layout.

Laura- The island is 6' x 3.5' and it could probably be bigger...but I want to keep it on the kitchen side of the beam, if possible. Cool stool, too!

Rhome- I kept the panty and ovens on that end, so they wouldn't be behind the door to the screened porch, when it's open. I figured it would be safer (less chance of glass breaking on the door) if the oven handles were on the other end of the cabinets.

Mama Goose- I'm so glad you like the plan! I love your kitchen and it makes me very happy that this is similar to yours. Good point about the baking area :)

Quiltgirl- Summerfield helped me with my plan (a great deal) but it was a long process. I'd always wanted the fireplace in the kitchen/keeping room, but until Summerfield thought to put the master bedroom in the front of the house...we couldn't find a layout that really worked.

At first, I wasn't so sure, but once I thought about the light, views, gardens, etc. it really made sense. The roses/flowers are outside the bedroom and bath, while the 'rustic' landscape (horses, trees, pasture) is out the back. Each goes better with the rooms and how I want them decorated/designed...so it's a great fit.

Oh, square footage is about 2,000 without the porches and mudroom...a little more with them. Cabinetry...probably white cabinets (cottage/traditional) for the L and wood for the baking area. The island might end up green. The countertops...marble for the baking area, wood for the island and blue ceramic tiles for the L...I like color! LOL

Inspiration pictures (already posted, but a long way back on the thread)

First...earlier version with great beams. {{gwi:1448554}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Wood and green cabinets... {{gwi:1853619}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Pot rack over island... {{gwi:1448518}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Bunny backsplash... {{gwi:1448093}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

An idea for blue tiles (maybe just a bit more gray) to match the flowers on bunny tiles... {{gwi:1896180}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Colors for dining room... {{gwi:1821568}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lavender - I like this much better than the galley kitchen. And can't wait to see the final decorating!

• meganmca
    11 years ago

I like that better than the galley, too (and I like galleys...). One Q--will you be wanting to go LR to porch (the one next to the LR) often? Are those doors on that wall, or just large windows? That distance is what strikes me as really changing when you move the openings.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gemini- Thank you!

Megan- We could access the porch from the living room, but I don't think we will. It will be easier with the roof lines to have the porch on ground level...and we really don't want two sets of steps. And, it messes up the furniture arrangement of the living room. With the new kitchen layout, I like that people don't have to go through the main work area to access the porch or the greenhouse :)

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

The kitchen looks good. How it flows with the rest of the house would not work for me. Too much walking around from anywhere in the house to get to the kitchen and keeping room. If I was in the living room and needed to ask my husband a question, I would probably forget was it was by the time I got to the kitchen. LOL And, if we were watching tv in the living room, we probably could not hear the timer going off in the kitchen. We prefer a bit more of an open floor plan. Your mileage may vary.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dekeoboe- I'm so glad you like the kitchen layout!

My house is TOO open right now, so I guess I'm looking forward to a little more separation! I wish I could get a better close up of the plan. It's 21' from one long side of the living room to the other and about 9' from the dining room opening to the back hall...and another 4' to the living room.

I have 40' now, from the bedrooms to the office and I don't even think of it as long, but it's all open and can be very noisy. When we have a lot of people over, it's almost too much...so I'm looking forward to all these french doors! Let's the light in, but blocks a bit of the noise :)