Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuxedord2

Which Countertop?

tuxedord2
9 years ago

Have a chance to put in either leathered finish Absolute Black or leathered finish Black Pearl -- both are a fantastic price.

Cabinets are white. ORB hardware. The black pearl looks splotchier. Both appear to be a soft very dark gray.

If you were a buyer? Would this appeal to you even though most of the new construction is installing the lighter grays?

Had been looking at the trendier counters but the price watching these darker ones are really good.

This house will be on the market within the year.

Comments (10)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want a splotchy counter. Do you mean an uneven tone or the pattern? If it looks like something was missed while cleaning up, that would bug me.

As a buyer, I'd look for well maintained, easy to maintain and, with granite counters, whether or not cabs and flooring went well with them. There's no way to predict if buyers prefer light or dark counters and I'm willing to bet there are an equal number on that, anyway.

• meddam
    9 years ago

I'm deciding between those same counters for my kitchen, and I'll prob do the AB. I didn't think the pearl looked splotchy color wise when leathered, but the polished did. I think that I spent soooo many years in a lab that I just like a pretty consistent black counter!

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! The black pearl has more variation. Maybe the word "splotchy" wasn't the best. But you definitely see some brown tones and gray tones peeking through a mostly dark gray surface. The leathering seems more bumpy on the pearl too-- perhaps that variation - is why.

I think I prefer the AB - those lab counters sound nice ;-) !!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I would need to see pictures but the absolute black counters sound beautiful.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I would prefer light counters and would make an offer on the house that would account for the cost of replacing the counters once I moved in.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want dark countertops. If I were a potential buyer, neither would appeal to me.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

To me, dark counters can be fantastic but *only* when there is great natural light and contrasts are carefully designed and thought out. In a dark kitchen I'd rather have light laminate counters than black granite. JMHO. Other budget friendly options include butcherblock, stainless.

• pekemom
    9 years ago

My daughter bought a home where the kitchen had been totally redone..the owners put in black granite countertops....she said she would have chosen something different herself, it's beautiful but every smudge shows..she redid their master bath after moving in..she put in a light quartz countertop which looks great.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Yes, I don't care for the fingerprint colors (aka blacks), particularly with something shiny and reflective like granite. Another vote for lighter counters.

Someone actually installed a black laminate recently on here that I would prefer if your heart is set on black.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Realtors here say granite is a must to sell, but it's such a personal choice. Some will like light, others dark. Some will like busy while others will like more uniform.

I was going to go for the lighter colors but they are actually more expensive here and some of those purple garnets really stand out with the current lots.

I agree about polished black and honed black being difficult to keep looking clean. My leathered sample, however, doesn't seem to smudge or look streaky in comparison to the other finishes.

My heart isn't set on anything to tell you the truth. I think I'd do butcherblock if I were not selling ;-) So it's really a matter of cost and an overall look that won't turn people off.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations