Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

Corian Witch Hazel Countertops are in!!!

dcward89
9 years ago

I have been anxiously and very unpatiently waiting for this day and it finally arrived. The fabricators showed up at about 8:30 this morning and 3 hours later they left me with beautiful, beautiful counters. Corian may not be a popular choice here on GW but I'm super happy with my choice and love the look and feel of them!

Trebuchet...I have included a few pics of what I think show the excellent workmanship. I think they did a fantastic job and I would like to hear your opinion.

First an overall pic...I tried to get as much of the kitchen in one shot as I could...

Then to the left of the range and looking towards the front door...

To the right of the range...

Sink run...

Pics of the sink reveal and transition from counter to sink...

Seams...

This post was edited by dcward89 on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 12:58

Comments (56)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Looks like they're letting the plumber drill the faucet holes? Router, spade bit or hole saw, no auger style please, and a rat tail file followed by sandpaper to take the meanness off the hole edges is always a good idea.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! And I love your cabinets!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebuchet...I took some pics before they were completely done. They drilled the faucet hole.

Here's a pic...

annkh...I haven't completely decided on the backsplash yet. I initially had my heart set on a split face slate backsplash that was really rough but my DH and everyone here on GW convinced me it wasn't right. I'm on the hunt for something a bit rustic...the Fireclay tiles have caught my eye, especially some of the green colors. When I narrow it down I'll post some options to see what you all think.

• mahatmacat1
    9 years ago

Very nice! Back in 2004 I did our kitchen in Corian Green Tea (I would have liked one that was more flowy like yours but it was too expensive, being brand new at the time), and had it polished up to about 800--it's like water. It's never 'stone-cold' but rather warm and more inviting. And every time we drop a glass on it and the glass doesn't break, or we leave a piece of stain-y fruit on it overnight by mistake--we say "Thank you Corian"! Don't love Dupont in general but we sure appreciate our Corian. Hope you have many happy years with it.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

As mentioned on other thread...WOW. Looks awesome. On the seams--It seems that's a mitred seam that doesn't flow the pattern around the corner...did you choose that?

I thought you should do an "S" seam for the Private Collection?

• ajc71
    9 years ago

We have done the "S" seam on certain projects, it does use more material and it is a little more time consuming...and some installers do have a tricky time with it as the paralign jig will not work all that great if the "S" or wave is too big

You could have done a "S" seam here, might have tricked your eye a bit...but I personally don't think it would have been worth the added expense for look. They did a very nice job on the miter!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ChrisinSD...I chose the mitred seam and they warned us that the pattern might not match up perfectly. The one seam is extremely inconspicuous (the first one posted above) and the other, while a little more noticeable in pics is really not very noticeable IRL. They asked if I wanted to do it without seams at all but that would mean the flow of the pattern would run front to back of the countertop on the short parts of the 2 L shapes. I did not want that. My fabricator did not mention the "S" seam at all. I am extremely happy with the seams, actually with the whole job. Is it weird to be truly in love with countertops??

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

That's great you are so pleased. I don't think it's weird--I am ~2 weeks behind you on the schedule so I will have to live vicariously through you until then. :)

Counters are the lynchpin to most remodels and we all spend way too much time researching and investigating all the options before we settle on "the one." I feel the same way--pretty excited to see them installed more than any other item in the house (and I'm gutting my entire house to the studs, not just a kitchen).

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks great! It looks really good with your cabinets, and will look nice with your green paint, too.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Those counters are just fabulous! And they harmonize so well with your cabinets. I'm glad that the install went smoothly - what a relief for you.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I love it, to me this is about a million times more lovely than granite or marble and much more practical! Give me Corian any day! Honesty, I do not like the looks of granite at all and would definitely not want to drop anything breakable on real stone! I have one tiny granite counter on a small island that I really do not like at all.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Pretty!

• brightm
    9 years ago

They're lovely! The flow is so nice.

• killinsnakes
    9 years ago

Oh, man! Envious! You are ahead of me. I have Witch Hazel countertops ordered. I have my faucet bought. It sounds like we picked the Corian for about the same reasons! Yours are beautiful! Patience for me!

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

DCWard--another follow up. Where did you end up deciding to buy? I know in some earlier posts you were deciding between 'the Depot' and a local countertop store?

Who did you choose and why?

This post was edited by ChrisInSD on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:23

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up taking my chances with Home Depot because their price was lower and then a sale made it significantly lower and I just couldn't pass up the savings. As it turned out though, I asked at the time I was placing the order at Home Depot and the local fabricator that I wanted to go through is also the fabricator in our area that my Home Depot uses so, although I felt guilty about it somehow, I got the best of both worlds.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Well I'm glad it turned out. Thanks the feedback. My experience has been similar.

The local countertop guy was 40% more (!!) than Home Depot (after their sale) and while their showroom and selection were really quite extensive (they carry EVERYTHING) he wasn't very customer friendly so I decided to take my chances with Big Orange...

I hope I have the same exceptional results to report. :)

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

killinsnakes...you are going to LOVE the Witch Hazel! The depth in the pattern is really beautiful and they feel so nice. I loved the pattern from the samples I had and from seeing pics online but seeing them across the expanse of my kitchen is just awesome!!

ChrisinSD...what pattern did you choose? If you said that already I must have missed it. I'll be watching for your "COUNTERTOPS" post!!!

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

DCWard--we settled with Glacier White. I also liked Silver Birch and Lava Rock, but we really decided the bright white would provide the clean "pop" we were looking for in our modern kitchen. See the link for our style.

I can't wait to see my integrated Angolo sink in the same color and the custom run right into the window sills in my new "between cabinet" windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Glacier White kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/linden-hills-contemporary-contemporary-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~210639)

• cubby325
    9 years ago

dcward,
    Your countertops are lovely, and I am also considering Corian WH with two miters. All the samples I have seen are white, with only a hint of color on a corner, some all white. My walls throughout my home are a yellow beige (Ben Moore powell buff HC-35), and I'm concerned about a pink-beige in the WH looking bad with my yellow beige. This has been a problem with many of my countertop samples, as I also have a raised bar/pass through that opens to my dining room where the countertop will butt the wall. Are there any hints of gold tones in the WH that would pick up my wall color? Even the larger sample at HD is nearly all white. Anyone else out there with photos of WH that might help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Also, do you know the radius of your inside corner? Thanks.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cubby325...My first suggestion is to purchase a large sample directly from Dupont. I ordered off their website. I believe it is 10" square and gives you a much better idea of the coloration and variation in the Witch Hazel. It is not all white at all. The colors I see in mine are white, sort of an off-white, grey and tan/gold. I definitely don't see any pink/beige in it at all.

We have a 2 level peninsula open to the living room/dining. Both rooms are painted Sandstone Cliff by Behr. I think my color is greyer than yours. I tried to get a pic of your color to put them side by side but I couldn't get it to work...sorry...but the Witch Hazel looks great with it and I think the tan/gold colors in the Witch Hazel would look great with your color too.

I don't remember what the radius is but I can look it up when I go home and let you know. We are extremely happy with our counters, both the look and the function. I'll post back here later when I can look up the info about the corners.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Still vacillating- please help! Here it is almost November, I paid HD nearly 3 months ago for my countertops, and the fabricator has had my Franke sink for nearly two months. I love the witch hazel, ordered a large sample, and saw a large sheet at a nearby distributor, although it was in a warehouse with poor lighting and set vertically. I love the translucency of it - just not sure how it will look in my kitchen. With Ben Moore Powell Buff (yellow beige) throughout most of my house (open floor plan), that color must stay. I can paint the kitchen walls a soft white to complement the countertop. But, what I failed to mention is that my cabinets are natural maple. I would love to have them painted a soft white, but I hate to do that to 6 yr old cabinets - afraid it may affect resale, and I doubt we'll be here more than 5 yrs. I don't want a dark gel stain. This is a townhome, and the only window in my kitchen is in the eating area. It is large, but I always work with lights on in my work area, so I must have light countertops and fairly light cabinets. I've also considered cameo white Corian (soft white), as there are many photos on houzz of natural maple with white countertops, often white Corian. I had bright white laminate in a previous home 20 yrs, then off white for 14 yrs, and I never minded the maintenance.

So I'm torn between the witch hazel with two mitered corners, the cameo (which I like just as well but have concerns that solid white corian may be a turnoff for buyers) and the linen white (white with tan specks) which looks like it has gray undertones.

This is a 55+ community, and I don't think Corian negatively affects resale like it might in some neighborhoods, and I don't like cold stone. However, I'm wondering if white Corian would be a deterrent for buyers, and would witch hazel really give me more of an upscale look and be more attractive to buyers, even if I keep the natural maple? Do you think it would be too elegant for natural maple cabinets?

I have to make a decision this week if I want my countertops for Thanksgiving dinner. Please help! Any and all comments welcome, but please don't tell me to get quartz. It is witch hazel, cameo white or linen.

Thanks for your input!

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of my kitchen. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Witch Hazel has been a huge hit. Go for it.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

it looks great! I wouldn't even blink at the 2nd seam. It looks fine. I love the color/flow of the WH. If I found something like that in laminate, I'd probably change my counters out.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

i think both are nice...preference for witch hazel in that room

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Of your three options, I think the Witch Hazel would look the best in your kitchen. The subtle pattern and flow add a softness to my kitchen that I just love. I have had mine in since June and I absolutely love them. You asked for opinions so I'll say that I think the Cameo would be boring compared to the Witch Hazel and the Linen looks a bit too much like the speckled Corian of the 80's.

The patterning in the Witch Hazel includes tans and greys and I think it would look good with your natural maple.

ETA...you mentioned painting your walls a soft white but I think the Witch Hazel looks great against a bolder color.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 8:14

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. How difficult is it to repair a directional pattern should it crack? Would a repair be more conspicuous? Thanks.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Cubby--I guess I don't understand why you are asking this. It is highly unlikely that your countertop will "crack" unless you plan on routinely slamming things into it. If I was really that concerned about this, I would probably look at a different product.

Look at the video I link to to see how strong Corian is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Strength Test

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Christine SD,
    The internet offers the best and worst of everything. I have watched you tube videos of repairs to cracked solid surface. Although it is just two of us, and we are not hard on our things (and we weren't even when we were raising our sons), I am asking because our counter tops are not level. I know this is important, and we have a contractor who is going to take care of that with shims. I believe they will be mounted on top of the cabinets because he said that would create a space below the countertops that would need to be addressed with molding or in some other way. Then I started to think about the times I stood on my countertops when I was painting. And of course one paranoia led to another.

The WH pattern is pricey, and I wouldn't want to do anything that would affect the integrity of the counter tops. Now I'm wondering if I should have him remove those cabinets and shim from the bottom. Anyone who would like to weigh in? Thanks.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Dcward89,

Was wondering how your Corian countertops were wearing. I'm in the same boat you were: trying to decide if I want soapstone or something lighter. I ordered samples from M. Teixteira in Denver, and would love to order from them, but a little afraid of the DIY route or hiring a local installer. I went to a local stone company today to see granites and to see if they had soapstone, which they had 3 types. Wasn't impressed and they weren't very knowledgeable with it. Not something well known here. So looking at other options: Corian & Viatera Minuet. I did not like any black granites and don't want anything busy or with a lot of movement. I've been reading about Corian scratching easily. Have you experienced that? Any information would be appreciated. Your countertops are beautiful.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    8 years ago

designsaavy...I am absolutely loving our Corian!!! They look as good today as the day they were installed last June. We have not experienced any noticeable scratching. We did have two barely noticeable scratches on the bar area. The light must have been just right and I must have been standing at just the right angle to see them. I don't know for sure, but I think they were from a house guest plopping and dragging their carryon suitcase across the bar...who does that???? I didn't notice them when it happened but when I noticed them a few days later that was the only thing I could think of. It left 2 shallow hardly noticeable scratches but I was able to buff them out with liquid Bar Keeper's Friend and a blue scotch brite scrubby. We, and by we I mean my husband!, are not particularly easy on our counters but so far it hasn't been a problem. We are both very happy with the choice.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

designsaavy:

There is no doubt that Corian and other solid surfaces scratch more easily than other comparable surfaces, but the scratches are also very easy to remove. A skilled DIYer could refinish their tops to factory with a $39.00 palm sander in a few hours.

You will scratch natural stone and estone although not as often. Not if, when. Those can be removed, but require a professional.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Good to hear. I guess I will order larger samples of the Corian and of the Viatera Minuet. Can't find any place to see a slab of either one. Frustrating. My local Home Depot salesperson didn't have a small sample of Minuet. Really?!! Your Corian looks good with your natural wood cabinets. Do you think the Corian will look good with the Barker Dover White cabinets I've ordered? It's not a bright white. Want a countertop that reads neutral.

(I have a fear of color, lol)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

designsaavy:

Look up your Corin distributor and ask if you can see a whole sheet. This is particularly important with the colors like Witch Hazel that have lots of movement.

• lookintomyeyes83
    8 years ago

dcward89 - totally agree with you - corian is better than any hard rock!

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Take a look at Corian in tumbleweed, that is what I will have in my new build kitchen. The attached photo is not my kitchen, just one I saved from the Internet for my reference.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think my counters read as a very soft, slightly off white in the overall look. There are swirls/streaks of pure white, grey and tan/brown but definitely overall read neutral I think. It's hard for me to judge specifically about the Barker Dover White as looking at it on the computer screen doesn't give accurate color reading. My gut says it would look great but I would want to have a sample of that Dover White in hand when you get that larger sample of Witch Hazel. Trebuchet is so right when he said try to see a full slab if possible. Even the 10" sample I bought from Dupont wasn't enough to give a true reading on the veining. I looked at a full slab at the fabricators before I would commit to it and when I did see it I fell even deeper in love with it. BTW, our cabinets are Barker too, natural cherry. Trust me, you will LOVE your cabinets!!!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know if this will help at all but...I just took this pic on my bar. The background is Witch Hazel and I put all the samples we considered on top to compare the general overall look. From top to bottom they are Tumbleweed, Sandalwood, Shoreline, Rain Cloud and Sea Salt.

It's a cell phone pic, notoriously not great but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the overall tone of each one.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone, and thank you so much for the pics. I will definitely call a local Corian rep to see a slab.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Dcward89 thank you for all of your helpful photos!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

designsaavy:

I got a call last week from a fabricator that DuPont was putting Witch Hazel on sale for a month or so. I'll bet they'll pass a lot of that savings on to consumers. Hurry.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately, Barker cabs won't be here till around first of June. :(

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

That doesn't mean you can't nail down a countertop deal now.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Really? Never done this before. I thought they had to be in place to template to get price? I did a search on Corian site for dealers and aside from a couple I've never heard of, Home Depot is pretty much all that came up in St. Louis area. Should I trust their installers? Guess I'd have to. Also, Didn't mean for this to hijack your thread, DCWard, so I'll check all the info out you've all given and start a new thread when I have more questions. Thanks!

• dcward89
    Original Author
    8 years ago

designsaavy...no problem about the hijack...it's still about the Corian. I purchased my counters from Home Depot. There was a local fabricator I really wanted to use but HD had a sale that was too good to turn down. As luck would have it, HD contracted their fabricating and installs to that same fabricator so I got the best of both worlds. When I purchased mine, I took the layout, with exact measurements to Home Depot and you purchase the approximate square footage based on your layout. If that number ends up being a little more or less, they adjust before installation. Ours was pretty much dead on. Also, we actually purchased/contracted for our counters several months before they were installed. It was no problem at all...the fabricator just said call when you're ready for templating.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

They should be able to give you a close estimate without the templating. My KD gave me a price for Corian and didn't say it was an estimate, just that they would template after the cabinets were installed.

• sandkb
    7 years ago

Can you tell me the name of the tile that is used for the backsplash in the April 4, 2015 9:21 AM picture above that has white kitchen cabinets. It is beautiful with the Corian countertop - is the Corian Tumbleweed or Witch Hazel in that same picture?