Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyersdvm

Custom Drawer Inserts

Megan Meyers
10 years ago

I learned about Wood Hollow's custom drawer inserts from this forum. I ordered from their eBay site last Wednesday and my drawer inserts arrived very well packaged yesterday.

I love that they match my wood drawer interiors and leave no wasted space. They are well made and very reasonably priced at $35 each for cutlery and utensil inserts and $25 for a fluted spice insert. My spice drawer is in a bank of base cabs that are only 18 inches in depth, so standard inserts would not have worked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutlery Insert

Comments (63)

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this. Just what I've been looking for! They look great.

• Megan Meyers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SparklingWater- I ordered from their eBay site. I didn't see them on their main website, either.
    They are indeed natural colored and came coated with polyurethane (still a little stinky when I opened the box). They match my drawers pretty well. I am not an expert on grain, but I would guess they are either birch or maple.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

They are under the main site, under options then accessories, or something like that, but the pricing isn't there, just on eBay.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by attofarad on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 19:00

• soibean
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I just had inserts made by Wood Hollow and they did a fantastic job. I highly recommend them!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

We got a cutlery insert from Wood Hollow Cabinets for one drawer. I wish we had found out about them before, as we had bought some other organizers for our other drawers. We'd take them back, but we already threw out the packaging. The Wood Hollow ones are sized perfectly to our drawer, so there is no wasted space, unlike the store bought organizers.

• lafacia
    10 years ago

What type of knife drawer insert are you all using? He doesn't make a knife insert and I'd rather not have a knife block on my counter.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I got the one linked below. In a few weeks I'll be able to let you know how it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: knife insert

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing! Our cabinet company has them as an option and they are 3x the price of these!! Thank you!

Pam

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info and pics!

Are the dividers fixed to a base? I want to be able to pull out the whole thing for cleaning purposes.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

My Wood Hollow one does come with a base. It is easy to pull out and clean.

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

Thank you, gpraceman :-)

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

Thank you, gpraceman :-)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

For anyone who has ordered more than one insert from Wood Hollow, do they charge $15 shipping per piece or is there a slight price break when purchasing a few? I'm thinking that we need at least 4 items from them.

• Megan Meyers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am using the Wusthof insert for my knives.

Woodhollow did combine shipping for me and I saved a few dollars each. I thought the shipping was steep until they arrived and I saw how well packaged they were.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wusthof knife insert

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I am using a Hampton Forge drawer knife insert that I got from Target. It is 6.2" wide instead of 9" wide as the Wusthof, so saves a bit of my drawer space. Same length. When I got it, it was much less in the store than the online price, but I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it. It holds 5 large knives and 6 small knives.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.target.com/p/hampton-forge-drawer-knife-block/-/A-11141793

• DiggingInTheDirt
    10 years ago

When ordering from Wood Hollow, how do you go about designing the configuration you want? I checked their eBay postings, and it seemed that they use a standard design, which seems different from the examples many of you have posted. I want these very much.

My mother had these in one of her drawers, and it wasn't until we helped them sell their home and move to a retirement community that I learned that the dividers were removable. For 37 years I thought they were custom made drawers. *Slap to forehead.*

I like Wood Hollow better than Rev-A-Shelf, because with the latter, you have to saw with a table saw to make them fit your drawer. If I had a table saw, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but....

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

@digginginthedirt - For our cutlery insert, I just gave them the interior dimensions of the drawer and did ask for at least one double wide slot. I think that they pretty much have a standard spacing for silverware and will fill up the rest of the area with larger slots for cooking utensils and miscellaneous.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

It seems their ebay link doesn't work, anymore. Has anyone ordered from Wood Hollow recently? I'd love to put in an order for a couple drawer inserts now that I have the measurements!

• nancyj
    10 years ago

I just googled eBay wood hollow and their current eBay listings came up. Try this link http://www.ebay.com/sch/woodhollow/m.html.

I've just bookmarked it for when I'm ready for inserts, which will be many months away still.

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

My cutlery tray arrived today from Wood Hollow! I sent an email to see about customization, but got a response that they'd charge $15 more. So I opted to just receive what they send.

It took a couple weeks to receive it, but I'm content with the quality. The measurement I gave was exact, but the product was slightly shorter; I fixed this by putting a piece of folded cardboard in the back so that the insert will not slide around.

• romy718
    10 years ago

That looks really nice. I missed this post before. Thanks for the update.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I ordered four of these and love them, much better than anything else for both form and function. Here are my suggestions for anyone who wishes to order:

1) Measure carefully, and consider whether the screw heads for your handles should be subtracted. My inserts were too tight a fit, and my dh took a power sander to them to take off 1/16". So my experience was the opposite of Foxcrane's.

2) Draw what you want, including the orientation of things like spice racks. One of my four inserts arrived damaged and un-usable because the slanted spice risers were designed for front to back bottles and I had measured with the intention of lying them in the drawers sideways. They re-made it for me, which was excellent customer service!

3) Inquire about having inserts made without the thin bottom piece, I didn't and am not sure it is an option - perhaps it adds needed stability - but I would've preferred not to have it.

My drawers are all really big, and have to hold a variety of things, so these were a fabulous value for me. I'd definitely use them again.

• brightm
    9 years ago

They now offer knife inserts.

Does anyone have any feedback on them? They look similar to the way the Rev a Shelf one looks. I'm nervous about both of them that the slots are very close together and knives with larger handles might take multiple slots worth of width at the handle area. I'm currently using one similar to the Wusthof one pictured above and it's not a problem. But with out the 'buffer' area from the inter woven steak knives, I don't know.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Does anyone have feedback on the Wood Hollow knife insert?

• brightm
    9 years ago

I'll bump this again with another question.

Someone asked the OP for drawer widths, we got those, but no one elses. If anyone has Wood Hollow Cutlery or Large Utensil inserts, I'd love a pic AND the width of the drawer given. I'm HORRIBLE at figuring out sizes.

I have 18", 21" and 24" drawer bases and am trying to figure out what to order for what.

Also, if anyone is around who ordered multiple, how do you get the break on shipping? I haven't ordered from ebay in forever. If I see $35 and $15 shipping, I imagine that's what I'd be charged. Did you have to call them special to not get charged the shipping at $15 per unit?

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Wow, these are beautiful!

I don't see how they are made, are they somehow glued together?

• brightm
    9 years ago

I believe they're attached to a bottom piece, then just set in the drawer.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

They are made attached to a thin bottom piece and set in the drawer. This drawer is the top one in a 35" stack which is extra deep, the internal measurement of the drawer is 31 1/4" wide by 22 1/8" deep. Note that the spices are oriented sideways, because I stand to the right in front of the cooktop when accessing them. Also note that this insert has 3 sides (front hidden by tape measure, back, and right side) which isn't typical and takes up a little room. Not sure why it was done that way.

Here is another custom Wood Hollow insert, it was built to allow me to use a CIA knife insert which I really like. This drawer is standard depth, and just shy of 27" internal width. Note the edge of the bottom of the insert visible below the bottom of the knives. The insert doesn't have any sides, just the organizing pieces and the bottom.

IIRC, there was a slight break on shipping but not much. But the total cost is much more than reasonable, especially if your drawers are large or oddly sized.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks so much kksmama!

I actually emailed them yesterday to ask about combining a knife insert (I know that's not theirs) with cutlery for steak knives and with the large utensil one for prep knives. I haven't heard back.

I bet your first one has sides since it's so big.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I thought I was the only one who had issues with store bought inserts not fitting properly. I just chalked it up to having old built-in-place cabinets. I made my own insert not knowing about those super cool ones from wood Hollow. Mine aren't nearly as nice, but still better than what I had :)

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I think yours are lovely, Errant!
    It occurs to me that, for those of us who aren't talented enough to make our own, doing some mock-ups with paper, cardboard or balsa might help. Drawing what I wanted was very hard for me, but I realize now that if I'd just put a big piece of newspaper on the bottom of the drawer and started putting things in, it would've been easy to draw where the dividing lines should be.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That's exactly how I figured mine out :)

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    9 years ago

I own one of the knife inserts from Wood Hollow and it is a little tight for some of my largest knives. I would prefer to keep my knives better sorted (steak knives to one side and larger cooking knives to the other) but I've got to mix them up so that I can easily take them out. It's not a problem and the quality is good enough that I don't mind but I can see how it would bother some people. I never thought about it being a problem prior to ordering but they were super helpful when I placed my order (I also have three organizers) and I imagine they might be able to custom design a knife insert.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Blog

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

This thread is reason #3004 why I love this place. Thank you all for the ideas!!!!!!

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

We just received ours (thanks GW for the idea and references!!).

These are __nice__ very solid, perfect match to our drawer interiors.

There is a 1/16 gap side to side which is fine - allows easier insertion and if it really bugs me, I'll come up with a round filler piece of wood :)

The front-to-back is dead-on - which does present a problem for the screws in the drawer front to the box (and to the pulls). I'll rout out the 1/16" from the drawer insert that's needed around the screws and it should be perfect.

If your drawers have screw heads exposed and you aren't keen on doing the cutting - order your inserts a little short to accommodate screws.

One more thing ... the guy at Wood Hollow was awesome to work with. He was willing to discount the shipping for multiple items - but I also wanted to do some customization, so that ate up the discount. I sent him an image of how I wanted the compartments and they made it happen. From order to my door in about 9 days.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks marcojohhnson. I ordered mine 13 days ago. Same deal with multiple and custom. Hoping mine come soon. He was probably waiting to do ours together. ;)

Did you get any shipping info? Or did they just show up?

• Stephanie S
    9 years ago

Here's mine, a combo silverware and knife block. Very happy with it! So glad I read this site!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Mine came today. :)

The silverware one is good. The large utensil one...I wasn't specific enough in my special request. My fault. Too many small areas.

I'm going to wait and see how we end up using the kitchen. We have 3 24" top drawers and a 21" top drawer and DH and I don't yet agree on the uses. I ordered one insert that I thought would be fine for what he's got laid out, but the other three I feel we still need to negotiate. This just means we negotiate on all 4 for a bit. I'm super happy to get the old silverware insert out though.

I think it's really useful to people coming along later to give widths. My silverware is in an 18" that I customized a bit, I think.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I know each of these is custom designed, but in general, how pricey are they? Even though my drawers are not wood (modern drawers - the Blum kind), I'm thinking these would work great for the two 36" top drawers.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan- Depending on what you get, many are under $50. A double drawer insert cost me over $50 but under $100. Then there is shipping. I gota $5 credit off shipping for two items recently. It was $15 per item for what I ordered, but I only had to pay $25 for combined shipping. Sounds like a lot but my carpenter said there was no way he could make those for me for anywhere near the same prices. They are beautiful- and the thing I like the most about them is the wood smell they emit when you open the drawer.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Curious, has anyone bought or priced cabinets from Wood Hollow?

• kksmama
    9 years ago

IRRC, mine were between 30 and 45 dollars, plus shipping. Hardly more than the prefab ones you would buy at BedBathandBeyond or Costco (but Costco has had some nice bamboo ones).

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

After reading about and seeing pictures here, I ordered inserts from Wood Hallow for 4 drawers in our new build kitchen. This was one of the last things left unfinished, so I was thrilled when they arrived today. In our former house, our contractor built the inserts to my specs for two drawers. DH certainly got use to them as he was the one that pushed me to do something.

I had drawn out exactly what I wanted for the 4 drawers and emailed the drawings with measurements to them. They arrived just as I had drawn, less a small amount, perhaps 1/8" which allowed for easy inserting into my drawers. The one thing that I was not expecting, however, was that the dividers were mounted on a board that sits in the drawer. As a result, a few of my measuring cups and stacked cookie cutters do not fit in the drawer as I had planned. I was able to turn the cutters sideways and now they clear. The measuring cup handles hit when opening the drawer, but it's something I can deal with. DH won't frequent that particular drawer (I hope) so grumbling will be kept to a minimum.

As marcojohnson said in a previous post, this is why I love this place. Never would have found Wood Hallow had it not been for GW. Thank you!

Silverware and mostly serving pieces. I had ask for them to keep all the tops straight, which they did. :)

The drawer where the measuring cup handles hit. The knife block is from Williams Sonoma.

Smaller drawer in my baking zone. Does anyone still use Tupperware measuring cups and spoons? Mine must be 30 years old.

• margo456
    9 years ago

Yes, I still use my Tupperware measuring cups and spoons and containers that I had forever!
    All those dividers look really nice. I was actually thinking of making my own like "Errant" (when I eventually do my kitchen - in planning phase only).

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Nhbaskets--try storing the measuring cups sets upside down. That's what I did when mine hit.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Duh, why didn't I think of that! Problem solved! Thank you nycbluedevil!

• mikemartinn
    9 years ago

I was looking thru Wood Hollow Cabinets inserts on Ebay and found some other inserts for closets and baths that I haven't seen before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chest Drawer Insert

• mikemartinn
    9 years ago

Another Insert. This is really cool. My Rubbermaid is always a huge mess.

• mikemartinn
    9 years ago

Gotta get one of these for my wife she would love it. What a cool make up insert. Seems that Wood Hollow can make about any type of insert that you want. I will be placing an order next week from their ebay items.

• purrus
    9 years ago

these are awesome. I can't wait to look into these once my kitchen is done in a few weeks... I guess I'll live with a bit before I order to be sure I know where everything will really go.