Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmkx

Vertical Drawer Dividers

xmkx
10 years ago

I've seen vertical drawer dividers throughout the site and I love the idea of them. I know Lee Valley sells the drawer divider hardware. Does anyone else sell them?

I assume that the actual dividers need to be made by your carpenter (or my handy husband). Thanks.

Comments (12)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've ordered these for our kitchen remodel. I don't know yet how they'll work out.

Here is a link that might be useful: drawer dividers

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, will you keep me posted on how they work. I'm trying to use drawer dividers in a deep drawer to separate out my baking dishes. I'm afraid that OXO won't be strong enough to support the glass and stone dishes. Please, let me know how they work out and what you use them for.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I will! My plan is for one drawer to be cake pans and pie plates; I do have a heavy stoneware cake pan. Another drawer will have cast iron frying pans, but I don't know yet whether I'll want them stacked or sideways. I'll have to see what feels right.

Since I have no deep drawers at all now, anything will be an improvement! I am grateful that the most fun part of the whole project - putting things away and organizing them in the new space - is at the end.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, I thought the most fun part was packing up the old kitchen, living in the make shift kitchen or (a close third) making a million decision including what type of dimmer to buy! I know, I know. At the end, it will all be worth it. :) I am assuming you renovated your kitchen (and that is why you have some deep drawers now). Any chance you'll post a picture?

• daratwist
    10 years ago

Hey Annkh, I am going through the remodel design process and found out from KD, that cast iron pans shouldn't be stored in a drawer - they are too heavy. I don't know if that applies to all brands of cabinets, but you might want to check it out.
    Anyone else have experience with this?

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, I thought the most fun part was packing up the old kitchen, living in the make shift kitchen or (a close third) making a million decision including what type of dimmer to buy! I know, I know. At the end, it will all be worth it. :) I am assuming you renovated your kitchen (and that is why you have some deep drawers now). Any chance you'll post a picture?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

NYMK, I am still in progress - I need to have the old cabinets torn out by next weekend; new cabinet installation starts July 15. I will most certainly post pictures when it's done!

daratwist, the load limit on my drawers (according to my cabinet maker) is 100 pounds. I'll be sure to weigh everything before I start loading things up.

I realized, as I emptied a cupboard yesterday, that I have 2 cast iron pans I haven't even seen in years, so those aren't going back in the new kitchen. I'll save them for when my kids move out.

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

We have several drawers with vertical storage. The one thing I am SO happy about is that I asked our cabinetmaker to make them removable/adjustable. It really helps when filling with different sized items!

• cathy725
    10 years ago

I'm using bamboo ones from BB&B. Actually I found them at TJ Maxx cheaper than BB&B. I like them so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: drawer dividers

• daratwist
    10 years ago

Annkh - My comments are just to help avoid a mistake which could cause bowing in your drawer. A cast iron pan is a very concentrated mass weight. Think of it as the difference between lifting a 12 pound bowling ball and a 12 pound suitcase. The drawer that is designed to hold 100 pounds is designed for a even weight distribution. I am just suggesting that you discuss this with your cabinet maker. The cabinets that I am considering are rated for 75 pounds but the KD said "no cast iron" It needs to go on a fixed shelf.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Thanks, dara - I did mention cast iron when we were talking about drawers, and that's when he mentioned the 100-lb limit. I'll ask him again. I have 2 large frying pans and one small one that currently live in the oven (until we need to bake something). I may be able to find them a new home when the remodel is finished - I'll have lots of new spaces that I don't know exactly what to do with.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Sorry to hijack - but reading with interest the cast iron debate...I discussed this at length with our cabinet maker. We are going with 3/8 drawer bottoms rather than the standard 1/4" and there is a plan to put "bracing" strips in the center areas of the drawer underneath (maybe it's called a muntin???) - so as I understand it, we will have our full extension glides (concealed under the drawer) and then have a couple strips running the depth of the drawer back (same direction as the glides) which should help eliminate potential bowing issues.

Be sure that when you are planning how much you're putting in the drawer that you remember to factor in the weight of the drawer itself (this is surprisingly heavy! I believe that I've read on here that 36" drawers can be 35-ish lbs.

So, while the "no cast iron" is a worthwhile caution, I think that it may be possible to still do it as long as you know in advance where you're putting it AND you take precautions.