Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modest makeover memories

Posted by browniepie (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:50

I was looking through old pictures and was inspired to share two modest kitchen makeovers from our previous two homes. We're in the middle of a kitchen facelift now and it was fun to look back at some of the updates we'd done in other kitchens... I think what I like the most is that they weren't major investments compared to many GW makeovers, but rather small tweaks to make them feel more like home to us.
This was our first house. We replaced the laminate countertops (with charcoal laminate), removed the backsplash and wallpaper, got new cabinet hardware, replaced appliances (with scratch and dent finds), and repainted.

BEFORE

AFTER

This was our second house. We painted the cabinets, swapped in new appliances, got new cabinet hardware, removed the wallpaper, and repainted. This was intended to be a 3-5 year tide us over until we could do a full-blown remodel, but I sure did love my little orange kitchen despite the "floating" stove and numerous other layout issues.

BEFORE (yes, we bought a house that was this messy for a showing--LOCATION!!!)

AFTER

I loved these kitchens and made great meals and great memories in them, but they'll never be featured on Houzz. :-)

Do you have a modest makeover to share?

This post was edited by browniepie on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 12:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modest makeover memories

In the middle of mine! :oD okay, the last ten percent of mine. Moved fridge, added cabinets and painted everything to match. New countertops, hardware, sink and faucet. Oh, and new stove and fridge. It started a lot more modest, but then DH got involved. ;o)

Been awhile since I have worked on it seriously, still waiting for The Guy to come do my backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Facelift Journey

o

Most of us do, in some fashion.
Mine is in pieces all over the forum, and I haven't finished enough to do a before or after.

I love the pickled oak you had. You made it all look pretty.

o

I don't have one (way too lazy) but I love looking at yours! I hope more people post their modest makeovers.

o

There's so much to be said for appreciating what you have, and working with it, tweaking it to make it "you." That soft grey on the walls is so pretty!

Nice jobs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here