Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daicey

My granite (jet mist) sample was not what I thought

Daicey
12 years ago

I have had this sample of what I thought was honed jet mist and it was actually leathered. They made a mnistake by telling me it was honed.

We have made all decisions based on this sample.

The granite place does not leather - it will have to be bought from another place and will cost more.

I make jokes one step forward and 2 steps back. But I'm really starting to feel that way. I bought sinks based on that granite. I picked out floor with it.

I guess I will just get the leathered jet mist and pay for it.

Does anyone know anything about leathered jet mist?

Comments (11)

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

I know this may sound weird, but I know some of my samples were finished on both sides. I know for sure that one I had had one side leathered and one side honed.

Did you check the other side? Just thinking...

• sumnerfan
    12 years ago

Sorry that you are dealing with this expensive set back. I know it's frustrating, but I promise if you just keep pushing and plugging along you will get the kitchen of your dreams. I don't have any knowledge of leathered granite, best of luck.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I understand that you are upset with what you thought was honed. But, why would all your decisions changed because of a difference the finish?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Why would they give you a sample of something they do not offer? I'm confused. If you like the sample, you should get that material. My granite was leathered on one side and polished on the other like fivefootzero suggested. Did you check yours?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Bummmer!!!!!!! It is so frustrating when you expect one
    thing, make all sorts of plans and then some thing totally
    unexpected happens. Truly a bummer.

Does the contract say leathered? Because this might help
    you get what you want.

Does the honed look change the color of the Jet Mist?
    Is it worth getting what you want for the extra money?
    Or could this be one of the options that you could
    accept. For me, I have to have the granite I like but for
    my sister she is easy about the counter but not when
    it comes to her cabinetry.

I love my honed jet mist granite. Specifically the soft
    color of the graphite and with billowy white cloud like
    streaks across the surface. Kind of like powdered sugar
    after a breeze of wind blows it across the counter.
    I am not big on the leather texture of a countertop. DH
    tried to convince me to go with leathered but I just adore
    the honed look. It is some how softer to me.

Mine is not leathered on the other side.

Hoping you get this resolved so you get what you want
    at a fair price.
    ~boxer

• francoise47
    12 years ago

By chance I looked at both honed and antiqued jet mist at Walker Zanger today. Both were very nice. I can't imagine selecting honed instead of antiqued would change the look of your kitchen. The antiqued is just slightly more rugged looking. They both feel great and look very similar.

• Daicey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw the honed & leathered and they looked so similar. After all that. I went with the polished. I decided I wanted the maximum protection. The honed, polished, and leathered all looked pretty close. DH sums it up this way - it was hard to decided because we just like that type of granite.

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

I love the look and feel of leathered granite. One of the stone places here has their front desk done in Leathered Rain Forest Green and it is gorrrgeous!

Check out jolynna's Jet Mist and jrueter's Marron Cohiba here (new window).

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

I agree with the other posters that the finish shouldn't affect all your kitchen decisions. The difference between the two finishes is subtle. Having said that, frankly I prefer honed. As Boxerpups mentioned, that soft smooth texture is so lovely--you'll want to run your hands over your granite all the time! Leathered won't feel that way. I think this issue is one of those things that you'll actually be happy about in the end.

• bethcw
    12 years ago

Sorry you are not getting what you thought you were!

I LOVE my leathered Nevada Matrix. I like the extra depth and dimension that the leather finish provides, vs. the flat of the honed finish. However, I also agree that the 'look' of the two is so similar that either one would complement your other kitchen choices beautifully.

Good Luck!
    Beth

• cathiest
    12 years ago

Would love to see pics when it is installed. Thanks!