Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jirpel_gw

Trash Pullout Under 10" Deep Sink

jirpel
9 years ago

Looking for some help on this one. Due to limited space we are forced to place a trash can under our 36" sink base. The sink we purchased is a 10" deep sink which is leaving us about 19 3/16" of clearance for trash bins. I was looking at the Rev-A-Shelf Double 35 Qt. pullout however we are just shy of the 19 1/4" height. My thoughts were to cut the can height down but I have concerns with how stable the plastic cans will be once the lip was cut and also I will be loosing the lip to wrap the trash bag around. Rev-a-self makes a 32 Qt. model which is about 19" tall but that is about twice the price. Not sure if anyone has run into this situation but would like to know of their solution. I would hate to have to go with the tiny 27 Qt. model.

Comments (30)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

We went through similar choices and decided to go with a larger can and nix the pullout. We decided we could build a rollout to hold it and be closer to the base if we wanted to, but not having it sitting up allowed us enough clearance to put most trash in without having to pull out the can -- sometimes a little tilt. We also saw some brackets to mount to the cabinet door, but those also seemed to be limited in size.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have the Rev-a-Shelf model 4WCBM 15DM1. It has a single 35 qt. bin. The plastic waste container was a bit too tall to fit under the sink. I cut mine down to make it fit rather than buy a shorter container. I don't have any problem keeping my trash bags on the waste basket but I do buy tall trash bags so there is plenty to fold down over the top of the waste container.
    My sink is a Performa medium 1 3/4 double bowl so there are 2 drains with a garbage disposal under the smaller bowl. With the trash pullout and the garbage disposal there is not much room to spare under my sink cabinet (which is a framed cabinet). Also, at least with my sink and cabinet, the pullout was not able to be mounted in the center of the cabinet door. You only notice this when the pullout is pulled out. It has not resulted in any functional problems. The pullout has been operating smoothly and easily for almost 3 years now

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Using a laminate trimmer with a straight bit, rout two dadoes into the cabinet bottom 1/4" deep into which the Rev-A-Shelf mounting brackets will sit.

I just checked mine. I would work at my house.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Here is a hack someone did using the Ikea drawers. I imagine that you wouldn't have to attach the door to the drawers.

You could cut the can down as you mentioned and use clips to hold your bag in place.

Or you could replace the cans in the 35 qt unit with 32 quart cans bought elsewhere, and use the cans that came with the unit somewhere else. I did this, as I didn't want such a large trash can (but did want the large can for recycling. Using one smaller can left room for a small supply of bags in the unit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea trash pull-out

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Forgive me if this sounds/is ignorant but can't you just have the cabinet built as a regular pullout drawer and put a normal trash can in it?

What is the purpose of the rev-a-shelf? I had my cabinet maker build mine that way and it seems to be just fine.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Timely posts. I am having same dilemma with a 10" deep sink. I am planning for a rollout in sink base to handle trash & recycle. Cabinet maker still waiting to hear from me on coming back to measure and complete job. I have brought home sooo many trashcans trying to find something that will work, so pls keep ideas coming.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Something I hadn't thought of when we were doing ours was having the bottom of the cabinet dropped. It would take a little engineering to and you'd have seams in your toekick, but I think I remember seeing a pullout where the toekick was a part of the front of the cabinet. Maybe it was a trash pullout -- maybe I am remembering rather than having an original thought. Can't remember enough to give credit or point you in the right direction though. Sounds like a possibility.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I did the Ikea hack under my 36" base with a Kohler Stages 45 sink. I installed the partition rail that is used for drawers in the 30" and 36" drawer cabinets and two pull outs, an 18" deep and an 18" shallow. It worked great. I have one pullout to accommodate 2 large bins of my choice (haven't picked them yet) and the other to store my cleaning supplies. It's a good use of under sink space.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I thought mine was a lost cause1 Yay, hope1 Anyone who cares to share links to the IKEA hack gets a cookie. Or a beer. Your choice.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Tell me what size cabinet you want to adapt and I'll let you know what you need to order. Installation will be simple for you and I can line out the steps.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I'm confused. From the photos the ikea hack looks like a rollout. How does it satisfy trashcan height issue? (I'm prolly a bit dense right now, long day.) thanks

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

These are drawer hardware that can be installed as a rollout or a pullout. Mine are pulllouts, so are attached to the door. I installed the rails as low as possible and it left 191/4" clearance from the bottom of the pullout base to the sink. The deep pullout is nearly 20" depth.

• jirpel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some great Ideas here, have to sort them out. I did spend a lot of time on the Ikea fan website reading about the mod.

bbtrix - your under the sink photo looks a lot like mine. Like your layout, I might have to consider installing a 2nd pullout for my other side of the sink base. Have you had a problem with the sturdiness of your doors. Also, I was trying to get an idea of how much clearance you loose with the installation of the Ikea drawer (say from the bottom of the cabinet to the pull out drawer). Trying to figure out what height I would have left to find a trash can to fit.

MAGS348 - Keep my posted on your decision, since we have the same dilemma.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Thanks bbtrix for explanation. If I'm understanding correctly, you mounted them very low and that's what gave u the xtra height under sink. how low from finished floor did u install hardware? (I love some of the suggestions given here but I'm too far along to ask them to drop the sink base floor.) thanks

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I knew I wanted an under sink rollout. The sink base panel is sitting in my DR waiting for me to call them to complete. I'm kinda stuck with no other trashcan/recycle options at this point. I may have to just put in little office trashcans there. Hoping more of the 'step out the box' and ultra creative GWers will come out. I'm always looking for a simple solution (I'm at the kitchen weariness stage). DH is fine w/ trashcan sitting out of a cab but I'm not and the little bit of available wall space is across the room. Yes jirpel, I'll keep u posted.

• jirpel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These trash cans are just under 18" tall (35 qt). So depending on the mounting height of the Ikea hack drawer not sure if these will fit.

bbtrix - is that something you can send over when you have a chance?

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-A-Shelf RV-35-52 RV Series 35 Quart Polymer Waste Containers

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

The clearance from the bottom of the rail to the cabinet floor is 1/2". The bottom of the pullout is 5 15/16" from my floor. I installed in the pre-drilled holes. If you have no holes you could drill your own slightly lower. The rails are soft-close.

I do not find the door flimsy at all. All of my base cabs are either pullout, rollout, or drawers, except my Susan. I shot several pix so you can get a good look. The base measures 13 1/2" x 19 1/2" at the bottom, but it looks like the revashelf can is narrower at the bottom so it should fit. It definitely will at the top. Maybe someone that has that can will measure the base for you.

Close up of hardware attached to door.

Inside views:

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Or the same hardware can be installed as a rollout by attaching a door front rather than attaching to the door and changing the hinges to 153 degree. This is an example, but not intended for trash. Because of the door hinges it can't be installed as low as the pullout.

I prefer trash taken out often so I'm likely going to use two of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Trash Bin

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

For anyone interested, here are the part numbers I used for my hack in a 36" sink base:

501.089.27 Deep fully-extending drawer+damper-12" depth $26
    201.070.81 Deep fully-extending drawer-20 3/4" depth $26
    601.086.77 Two pack drawer dampers $7.99
    900.492.43 Partition for Drawers $12

Total cost of my project was $72 plus tax and shipping.

DH also used 4 angle brackets to attach the portion to the floor of the cabinet (in the back of this photo).

• Thorbro
    9 years ago

We put in not only a Rev-A-Shelf pull out trash under the sink, but attached it to the cabinet door for more efficiency. Supposed to not work, and the cabinet guys gave us hell, but worked perfect. You will need an offset drain (we used Whitehaven, which has a 36" model, and a short apron). The depth of the undermount is 9.625 inches. That left us just enough room for the rev-a-shelf unit to fit. But even if it didn't, easy enough to cut down the plastic trash bin to size, or buy another size.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I am happy to report that I finally found a trashcan that should fit. I needed something under 16" since my sink base is a rollout under 10" deep sink. My local staples got some new stock and 2 trashcans seem like a good fit - both 15.x" tall. I hope jirpel sees this.

Now to get cab ppl back to finish.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love all these great ideas! I love Thorbro's set-up but I also love BBTrix set-up for the trash can under the sink! Thank you everyone for sharing. I am liking this idea since I do not think I want to use up a cabinet for trash. I still can't imagine the trash can not having a lid but I see hardly anyone does.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Growing up, just mom and I, we always just had a bag under the sink. Just a paper garbage bag standing up. How did we survive!?!

I waffled on a trash pull-out cabinet and had decided not to get a designated trash one and to just have one cabinet sized to where I could do it later or use under the sink (not a lot of vision on my part. DH kind of wanted to keep the Simple Human can where it was and not give up a cabinet. But the incentive from the cabinet manufacturer at the time I bought was a free pull-out trash cabinet, so I went for it.

We're in semi-started reno limbo. Our inlaws already took our old fridge because it worked with vacation dates. You can see the top of the stainless can is now where the fridge used to be. It used to be on that blank wall between the doorways. I am amazed at what a simple thing like moving a trash can into a more functional location can do. Amazed. The sink will stay roughly where it is and the trash pull out will go under where the toaster oven is now. It's going to be AWESOME!

However, I'm getting other awesome ideas on this thread about under-sink storage in general. I look forward to implementing some of them.

• Elaine Caputo
    3 years ago

Hello all,

Has anyone done undersink trash pullout with a 30 inch sink base. My drain is offset to the left so I have room on the right. The sink is 10 inches deep. On the 36 it look great but I only have a 30 inch. Is there enough room to do this? Thank you for all your help.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Elaine Caputo, that is my set up, although my drain is offset to the rear center, but the drain pipe does run to and connect on the right side of the interior. It was easily done.

I bought THIS REV-A-SHELF 2 bin pullout, installed on the left. I only use one of the tall bins that came with the unit - for recycling. I replaced the other bin with a smaller/shorter one for my trash - I didn't need such a large bin for trash, the smaller bin allows me to recycle grocery bags as trash bags, and leaves some room for whatever you like in the front. Of course you could use both tall bins.

On the right, in front of the drain pipes, I put a 14" wide, 18" deep pullout. I think that there are also 2 tier pullouts that might work (depends on your pipes), but I installed a side wall mounted narrow pullout from Ikea above it (no longer made, I think). So, on this right side, I have my small lidded compost container (actually a small metal trash can), and plenty of room for my cleanser, sponges, rags, dishwasher cleaning tablets, and so on. The smaller, shorter items go at the back of the pullout to not bump the pipes. I keep frequently used tools (screwdriver, tape measure, flashlight) and a few other sundries in the wall mounted bin.

I also have a garbage disposal and dish soap dispenser in there.

My sink is a Blanco 28" (26" interior width) single bowl, and I love it's roominess.

• Elaine Caputo
    3 years ago

Hello, Thanks so much for your reply. In the link you sent the pullout was 11.85W 19.25H and 22 D but your nessage says it was 14 wide and 18D. Was it 14W and 18D? What was the height? Can I put a 14W in a frameless 15 inch opening? 19.25 height is ok for a 10 inch sink? Thanks for your help. I’ve spent a month on this. I need to choose something. Just worried about the height.

Elaine

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There are two different pullouts, one on each side of the 30" cabinet - one is the one in the link, only 12" wide and came with bins; the other is a regular pullout (Knape & Voight brand, from Target, IIRC, less expensive than Rev-a-shelf but just as sturdy) that is 14" wide and is not made to hold bins in particular - my compost bin just sits on it, along with everything else - so there isn't any significant height for it (just that of the frame, about 1.5").

A 14" wide pullout is meant for a 15" frameless cabinet - and should say so on the box (in fact, the box may say 15" but a close look will tell you that they are talking about the cabinet size, not the width of the pullout itself). You could put two of those in your 30" cabinet. I chose a narrower one for the trash side in order to leave a little room between the pullouts, to be sure the bins would clear the disposal (which is in the center of the cabinet for me - for you it would be on the left side.).

My Blanco sink is 9" deep - I went and measured, there is 2" clearance between the top of the tall bin and the bottom of the sink. So, a 10" deep sink would give you 1" clearance,

• Elaine Caputo
    3 years ago

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful.

• Lindy Pinzon
    5 months ago

For trash bins that are too tall for 10” sinks, this is what I did and it worked out perfectly. I have a Rev-A-Shelf Double 35 Qt. I just carefully cut 1 1/4” off the bottom, then took the piece and placed it on the inside of the trash can and glued it. You just have to be very careful with the knife because it is not easy cutting through the plastic.

I still have to cut my recycling bin, but you can see here the difference in height on my 35 qt bin.