Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Help with my vintage sink situation? Style mavens, grant me your

ideagirl2
12 years ago

Hello folks,

So the saga continues: We're creating an art deco-ish 1930s-style kitchen in our 1930s home, we found a most amazing sink, and we have a slight dilemma. We want the sink installed as this style of sink was installed in the 30s, i.e., on a sink base that's shaped like the sink (with curved corners) and that sticks out a few inches from the cabinets on either side. Arlosmom's sink is an example:

This is our sink (it's butter yellow and about 4.5 feet wide):

But the thing is, these vintage sinks are only about 25" deep, if that... so only the depth of a standard counter. So the options, if you want them to stick out (which we definitely do), are either (1) have shallow base cabinets and counters on the sink wall, like only 21"-22" deep... but for storage and other reasons we would rather not do that; or (2) build up something behind the sink's backsplash, like in the next two pictures:

Or...

Does anyone have any other ideas, or other pictures of similar solutions, or suggestions? I like the approach in the first picture above, with the yellow tile, but am not totally sure how to do it since unlike those folks we're not planning on having a tile counter. We will have a vintage-y tile backsplash, but I'm not totally sure how to make it all work together.

The plan is to put the sink below a window that's as wide as the sink and has the windowsill a couple of inches above the top of the sink's backsplash, like Arlosmom except that there's no window frame below our sill. We will tile that whole wall in a vintage-y fashion (probably cream tile with a green or black stripe, something along those lines). The base cabs are probably going to be some kind of stained wood, possibly light cherry; it's up in the air because we have to go look at the sink next to various wood options to see what color works best. The uppers will be painted wood, cream colored. For the counter, we're not yet sure. We are leaning towards wood in a contrasting color to the base cabs, so either very pale (silver maple? Birch?) or quite dark (walnut?). My husband is passionately opposed to tile counters. :-)

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (29)

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Love your sink! I think you could carry your backsplash tile down and use it like the first picture you showed. That way it wouldn't matter what your counter top was. The pop out for the sink would blend with the backsplash. It will look lovely!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

You could build it up and paint it the color of the sink to really make it blend.

You could install a shallow narrow cabinet on each side of the sink and then return to full depth beyond that cabinet and mimic a curve on the countertop as it returns to full depth.

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!

I should have mentioned the layout. The cabinets are only going to be about 20 inches to the left of the sink and 15" to the right, before they reach the corners. (Asymmetrical, yes, but we're designing it so it looks good.) So there isn't really space to gradually return to full depth as you suggest, Palimpsest. And I don't want the counters shallow there because the corner to the left of the sink (i.e. that 20" and then the 38" or so from there down to the range) will likely be my main prep space, and also base cabs of different depths might reduce my corner storage options.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest an apron under the sill and then bring that down and around the sink but you're not having an apron under the sill. So... I think I like palimpest's idea of building up around the sink and painting it the same color if you don't want to tile around the sink to the wood counters. Or... how about bringing the wood up (same as the counter) around the sink.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

That is a great sink! I actually like the 2nd photo where the contrasting tile frames the sink and showcases it. I love art deco and would have loved to have done a kitchen like Arlosmom and you are doing in my 1938 house. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!!

OT, I looked at your photobucket pictures, where did you find the silver mirror in pic 12?

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I think the built-up and tiled ''box'' behind the sink backsplash looks nice. I rather prefer the first one you showed, where that box is the same size and shape as the backsplash, and the tile flows into the wall backsplash.

The top of the box has obvious uses - pots of herbs - but the interior of the box could hold some useful things too - soap dispenser, plumbing and taps for instant hot, filtered cold, and so on. I can think of other interesting uses - knife slots, utensil bins, soap dish - depends on how Inspector Gadget you want to be.

Since the top surface is in effect a little bit of tile counter, you might specify grout that will be least troublesome. Plllog has talked about unsanded grout and thin lines. Since it shouldn't be wet, it probably won't be much of an issue, but just something to keep in mind.

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

I like the top pic option the best, with the tile backsplash the height of the sink. And am totally, completely jealous of your sink.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

In principle it's a sink in a bumped out cabinet. The clinker is the integral backsplash. I'd bump out the whole thing -- similar to the tile in photo -- but not do tile that way since the grout gets yucky. The top of the bump out could have a shelf with gallery rail.

The radius (curved) sides will carry the style if they are consistent in all parts of the sink cabinet. Done correctly I think it will look fabulous.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest a shelf or box, with pots of herbs. I like your solution, Nutherokie. Very creative :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I think the tiled versions will detract from your sink, and to me they really scream retrofit.

I love Nutherokies bracket and shelf solution, esp since you really want to showcase your buttery sink

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

I really like Nutherokie's suggestion. Nice bump out, but with the added bonus of shelf space for the rest of the counter!

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Nutherokie nailed it. Exactly what I was talking about. That's a great installation Nutherokie -- you and/or your KD did a great job.

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks Rococogurl. No KD - at least no paid KD. I guess in reality I had dozens of them and you're one! I've lurked around here so long that I've stolen lots of Gardenwebbers' ideas.

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

Ideagirl, I just saw your post. Your sink is gorgeous. I really love the butter yellow color. And I'm impressed with your cabinet guys. We couldn't get ours to do the curved portion of the sink cabinet, but luckily my DH is a pretty skilled woodworker. Yours looks great.

You mentioned my window trim in your post. The trim isn't what "builds out" the space behind the sink backsplash, it just butts up against a wooden box, about 4 inches deep, that doesn't show much in that head-on photo. Nutherokie's box behind the backsplash is exactly what we did too, except without the shelf brackets. Initially, I was going to look for small antique corbels for shelf supports, but opted for the simpler solution. Since the photo below we've swapped the white shelf for a walnut shelf which warms up the look. I love your idea of a marble shelf. I'll be watching for photos of your progress!

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Arlosmom! When my carpenter started slipping off the rails a bit on our sink base, I showed him pics of your husband's work in progress. That got him right back on track. Thanks for your generosity in posting those pics. Beulah (my sink) thanks you, too.

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

Nutherokie, I obviously got a little confused! It's YOUR cabinet makers that I'm so impressed with. Your sink cabinet looks amazing. I'm so happy that my photos helped you. DH rigged a contraption from scrap lumber with a router on a moving arm that swept back and forth across the maple chunk. How did your guys do it?

Pet Beulah for me.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Also note that the box-behind-the-sink approach saves you from having to do plumbing in an exterior wall. I think some places that presents a code issue, and obviously there's a freezing risk. You can foam in, but then it's harder to fix things.

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Wow Arlosmom! Your husband carved those curves out of a solid chunk of maple? You have a genuine heirloom on your hands. My carpenter cheated. He build a curved frame then used a kind of flexible corrugated plywood product with the corrugated side facing out. I didn't get a photo of that stage, but found something that at least looks similar. He then laminated maple flexible plywood to the corrugated base. Tell your husband I'm in awe.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Well, you're my kind of "kitchen thief" LOL.

Radius curves are very difficult to do so kudos both to Arlosmom, whose sink is equally fabulous. Those two base cabinets are really ultra deluxe.

We just moved in full time to my first kitchen reno (7 y.a.)and you guys make me want to rip things out!!

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

Pardon my crudeness, but these sinks and surrounds give me a lady boner! They are SO incredibly gorgeous. Your kitchens are also so beautiful. D R O O L .

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hahaha! Love your post, Covingtoncat.
    Thanks, Nutherokie, for all the pix and details. Our setup will be slightly different since your window's wider than the sink and ours won't be, but the corbels and shelf thing looks really good. What color are you going to make it?

By the way, there are words missing from this thread title. It was supposed to say, "Style mavens, grant me your wisdom." But obviously you got the drift, and granted your wisdom!

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aaaaaaaand the Nutherokie/Arlosmom solution has received Husband Approval! Looking at the closeup of Nutherokie's box and corbels, he said, "That's pretty," and he said it enthusiastically. Yay. I liked the first tile solution, like Johnliu, but in kitchens my husband passionately objects to all tile other than wall tile.

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

I am deep in vintage sink and curved cabinet envy here. Love Arlosmom's and Nutherokie's, can't wait to see finished pics of your dreamy yellow sink kitchen, ideagirl2.

• raro
    12 years ago

I adore vintage sinks!!! When I visited the place we got some old floorboards for a bathroom remodel I had to restrain myself from buying a vintage sink. That was 9 years ago and I still lust after any one that I see. So beautiful and so practical! The best I could do in my modern kitchen is to incorporate some of the features that I love about them - wall mounted faucet and drainboard will be built into my stainless countertop and integral sink.

The way that you all have incorporated them into your kitchens is wonderful. In my next alternative universe I will have this in my kitchen. Lovely!!!

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Raro, when you get to your next alternative universe, make sure you look on eBay. :-) That's where I found my sink. I was on eBay every few days for a couple of months but at last, there it was, and I got it for a touch over $1200, which isn't bad when you consider what a new "farmhouse" sink WITHOUT a drainboard or backsplash costs (see link below).

You may have to search a zillion different ways; I had searches that looked like this:
    vintage sink -doll -dollhouse -toy -bath -bathroom -powder
    or
    antique sink -doll -dollhouse -toy -bath -bathroom -powder
    ...but it ended up paying off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse sinks

• shelayne
    12 years ago

I am absolutely greeeeeeeen with envy!

Every time I see arlosmom's kitchen I swoon, and now it looks like I'm going to be quite lightheaded (even more than usual-Ha!) with these newer additions.

BRING IT ON! I'll just make sure I am in my comfy chair before I click on your posts! I can't wait!

BEAUTIFUL!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

ideagirl2--one caution: The box will work well, but be careful in planning the shelf. Your faucets will be recessed into the built-in sink shelf, so you need a clear trajectory for your hand to grasp them. Just make any shelf that you put over your box shallower than the other examples.

• kolson928
    9 years ago

@arlosmom do u have any more pictures of Your kitchen?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths