Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelzombie_gw

Do you like your concrete countertop or copper sink?Tuscan photos

remodelzombie
12 years ago

I'm considering concrete counter tops with a copper farm sink and copper bar sink for my Tuscan kitchen in Lake Tahoe. Might possibly use the concrete and copper sinks for my bathrooms as well. Does anyone have any experience with either? Good or bad?

I know. Granite is such easy maintenance, but frankly, I'm tired of granite....and unless I use "leather granite", it doesn't look very "Tuscany".

Here are some photos I've received from a three different concrete companies. Waddya think?

Comments (7)

• abbeys
    12 years ago

I don't have any experience, except that my KD said these were "the latest". They are doing interesting things with concrete these days. I understand they can even imbed decorative items, or personalized designs. Thanks for sharing the photos. Will be interesting to see what people say...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

My tastes are very simple, so I don't favor any of these designs or think them to be particularly "Tahoe." But, on the broader question, I like concrete countertops and sinks. The possibilities are endless. I didnt use it in my home, but i did use a tinted and buffed concrete floor in a pool bath.

• ridingtohounds
    12 years ago

Those are the MOST gorgeous concrete counters I have ever seen!! All 3 say "old world" to me. I don't much like anything plain vanilla...oh well. My copper sink is with the granite folks now, can't wait to get it all done.

Had I known concrete could look like that....hmmmm.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

Concrete can crack, or as my neighbor who works as a buyer for a countertop company says, it WILL crack. We were very interested in concrete and looked into precast concrete options (which advertise that they don't crack) and our neighbor stated that they were unable to carry the line of precast products because the ("guaranteed not to crack") display cracked in their showroom!

A KD we consulted with (but ultimately chose not to hire) also told us that she loved designing concrete counters (and had them herself) but that they were a high maintenance choice. (So, not for us!)

Sorry to be such a Debbie downer, but you asked for "good or bad" feedback and I'd imagine durability and maintenance are important factors in countertop selection (and long term satisfaction...)

• countrygirl217
    12 years ago

A close friend of mine has a Tuscan style kitchen with concrete countertops and a copper sink. She likes the sink but after 5 years it has discolorations in it and copper requires some maintenance. The countertops she hates. The tuscan finish catches food in crevices (which wouldn't be a problem if you did a smooth finish) and she has cracks and stains in multiple places. She says if she had it to do again she wouldn't do concrete. She does have 3 kids and the kitchen gets lots of use.

• cabinfo
    12 years ago

The ones I poured myself seem fine so far, but they're only been in place for about a month.
    How soon before these are supposed to crack? I thought if I made it this far I was good to go?
    Here's a closeup. I can't get a real good shot without either a better camera or setting up lots of artificial lighting:
    {{!gwi}}

• remodelzombie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback and photo. Keep it coming! I don't know ANYONE who has concrete countertops.

So, cabinfo, I'm impressed that you poured this yourself! My husband and I are only minor DIY'ers and pouring your own concrete countertop falls into the "Major DIY" category. Your countertop appears fairly smooth, is it pretty easy to clean? I'd love to see a photo of your whole countertop.

My main concern with the concrete is everything you all have mentioned, the eventual cracking, staining, difficulty to clean and basic maintenance. I'm wondering if it depends on the concrete company doing it or if it's just that "all concrete WILL eventually crack". It's a fairly expensive proposition and I don't want to have any regrets.

I do have a friend who has had a copper farm sink in her kitchen for about a year and she loves it. She said she just wipes it out and occasionally wipes it down with some sort of polish or wax. She did say that you have to be careful with acidic things like vinegar and citric fruits because it will change the color of the sink, but she said eventually the color returns back to normal.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals