Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vakitchen_gw

Too much with prep sink?

vakitchen
14 years ago

I have to make a final decision for the placement of the faucet, insta hot, soap dispenser and air switch. As I look at my small 12 X 12 prep sink (I have an 18" sink base so going larger is out of the question.) I am afraid of too much going on at the prep sink. My faucet's handle will be about six inches wide, then I have an insinkerator insta hot, which I would like to the right of the faucet, then the soap dispenser on the left corner and the air switch between the faucet and soap dispenser. I have searched for island pictures with all of my items but have come up with nothing. What do you think I should do?

Comments (20)

• cookingmama
    14 years ago

I am in the exact same predicament. I will probably end up with the same set of fixtures around my 15" sink which I am hoping to get into an 18" base cabinet.
    The faucet we are looking at is the Delta 470-SS-DST without the escutcheon plate (not sure what the purpose of that is).
    One option would be to get rid of the soap dispenser and come up with a creative alternative for that.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I was going to say that I'd sure maker sure I got a larger sink in an 18"x24" base!

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think a larger one will fit? Any suggestions?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I think any sink w/an exterior/overall width of up to 17" will fit in an 18" sink base (probably up to 17-1/2").

Here are some options:

Ticor S805 (comes with a sink grid)
    Exterior Dimensions: 15" x 18-1/2" x 7"
    Interior Dimensions: 13" x 16-1/2" x 7"

Ticor S3630
    Exterior Dimensions: 16" x 17-1/2"
    Interior Dimensions: 14" x 15-1/2"

Ticor S3640
    Exterior Dimensions: 17-1/4" x 17-1/2"
    Interior Dimensions: 15-1/4" x 15-1/2"

KOHLER K-3345-NA (You can find it a lot cheaper elsewhere)
    Exterior dimensions: 17-1/2" x 17-1/2"
    Interior dimensions: 15-3/4" x 15-3/4"

Kindred KSS4U-9
    Exterior dimensions: 17-1/8" x 19-1/8" x 9"
    Interior dimensions: 15" x 17" x 9"

Elkay ELU1716
    Exterior dimensions: 16" x 17-1/2" x 7-1/2"
    Interior dimensions: 17-1/2" x 19" x 7-1/2"

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well according to my KD, because I have an angled cabinet in the island therefore 12x12 is the largest I can go. I think I will eliminate the soap dispenser, even though it is not that big, I don't think I want 4 holes in my granite. I don't want to get rid of the insta hot and I want it in the island. I could put the air switch in the sink drop down panel.

• annab6
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture of the floor plan? It is not clear from your post how the angled cabinet affects the sink size.

• alku05
    14 years ago

yes, please post a floor plan. I have a 16" round sink in my 18" sink base in my island, and wondering why you're limited to 12" square.

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

Because the air switch is pretty flat, I don't think it is intrusive. I'm often turning it on or off with drippy hands and often doing it in conjunction with turning the water on or off so it's convenient to have it located near the faucet handle. On our prep sink, it is actually under the handle. Here is what our prep sink looks like with 3 things:

It is a larger prep sink about 18" but we still wanted to keep the footprint of the accessories small to obstruct as little of the island as possible.

The smaller bowl of our main sink is 12 1/4 inches wide and has 4 things but has an air gap rather than a soap dispenser. If you can ignore the second bowl and imagine your soap dispenser in place of the air gap, it can give you an idea of what the prep sink will look like.

The items could have been spaced closer together. I wanted the instahot/filtered water on the corner to make it a little shorter reach and we wanted the faucet between the two sink bowls but the air switch could have been under the faucet handle like on the prep sink.

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the pictures, I thought I might see if they can put another hole for the insta hot on the main sink. I would put it on the right corner also.

I did not have the plans on my computer, but here is the forum thread that helped me pick out an island that would allow a prep sink. It is Layout #2.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I looked at your other thread, and if you're using a full 18" sink base, still don't understand why the sink has to be small, even if the cabinet's at an angle.

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not sure either, the KD asked if it could be done and was told that it was too small of an area by the men doing the work. I have already told the fabricator to go with the orginal sink. I have more room on the main sink which can handle all of the items. I really don't want to clutter the island. Now I hope they can add another hole to the main sink when they come out for the install of the island granite. At least I do have a prep sink thank to you and buehl.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It's still a standard 18" sink base, right? It doesn't matter how it's oriented, the sink is still installed the same way. Now, if it were a corner sink base, that would be a different story (I think the max you can fit in a 36" corner sink base, for example, is 24" or so...I have a 17-1/2" square, exterior, one in mine.)

Here is a link that might be useful: VAKitchen's Pendant Island Layout Thread

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't have the base cabinet yet, it is custom built. Hopeflly it will arrive next Monday. I don't have the extra room on the end like your drawing. The end is 63" and is against the sink base cabinet and the end cabinet. My island granite still has to be cut, so I will just have the extra hole drilled on the main sink when they return to install the island granite. This will probably work out better in the long run. We had bought a filter for the main sink before the insta hot idea. If we put the filter on the prep sink we can get our drinking water from there. We won't go through filters so quickly since the main sink is the clean up area. I will be so happy when this is done, every little detail is keeping me up at night! Hopefully the kitchen will be done next week. Expcept for the Sub Zero, it is on back order and is not expected in until the first week in July.

• eyesofgreen
    14 years ago

no way im putting a stainless prep/bar sink in my island just ordered one from Ebay
    Overall dimension: 18-5/8" x 15", 7" Deep (472mm x 382mm, 180mm Deep)
    Bowl dimension: 16-1/2" x 13"
    we want a single or double granite composite sink for the main sink

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Vakitchen
    Are you sure that the 18 inch will even fit in the proposed design? It works on paper but if you notice the corner is pressinginto the 21 inch cabinet behind it. I would triple check that. IF it is a standard 24 by 18 depth cabinet then the sink will fit. It may have to be closer up front if they are custom making that back corner to fit againts the 21 cabient behind it. (Perhaps that is why they say it won't fit. Also, is there enough support to the right and left of the prepsink for the granite/countertop?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

VAKitchen's island is done and yes, it worked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: New Kitchen

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the cabinet worked! The new prep sink was an Elkay Gourmet Stainless Steel Sink (ELUH1212) with outside deminsions of 14 1/2 x 14 1/2. Inside the sink it is 12"x12" which is just enough room for my colander. I might of been able to get a couple of more inches on the width, but it would have been very tight. Since the cabinet was custom they were true to their measurments. I love my island and I love the sink, it works for us and I have 30" to the left of the sink and the entire length of the island to the right. I cannot thank Buehl enough for the plans, I would have been so disappointed with the island if we had not changed it.

• datura-07
    14 years ago

cloud_swift,

I love your island - color is beautiful. I'm doing one where I also want a pull down faucet for filling my steamer.

What brand faucet is yours? and how far does it pull out?

Thanks for the help.

• vakitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! When we bought this house the island was the one thing we hated! Now we love it and it is so functional.

My faucet a Grohe Bridgeford and it pulls out 2 feet.

Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!!

• datura-07
    14 years ago

thanks for the fast reply. Two feet will be perfect. I'll stop and take a look and feel of one.