Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uppers with glass

Posted by donaleen (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 12:37

I've read a lot of questions about using glass in uppper cabinets for doors and whether it looks okay to put non-display items in them. Well, we love glass uppers and all of our upper cabinets have big glass doors. I think they look terrific as long as you don't over crowd things.

You can also "hide" the things that really don't look good by putting them behind the door frames. Note the bottles on the top shelf and how they disappear behind the frame.

I am not having luck posting photos so here is a link where you can see what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: uppers with glass doors

This post was edited by donaleen on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 13:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uppers with glass

Your post and pictures speak to me donaleen as I have integrated four glass uppers into our design. Working glass cabinet uppers, kept neat, to me seem so natural: why else do we have kitchen uppers than to store our goods? For us, two will be mainly plates and glasses and serving dishes in our small kitchen proper with two in the eat in pantry a place for china and a few special items.

I am having dimmable lights put in as well given new cabinets.

o

Keep an eye when watching reruns of "Law and Order". The location scout appears to have really liked kitchens with all glass door uppers. Over the years a lot of murders in high end kitchens on that show.

o

Ha, jakuvall. Speaking as the crime sleuth cabinet expert we know you are. Seriously wish you had forewarned me now! May have to re-think my window treatment. :/

donaleen, thanks for the link to your glass uppers. You've done a nice job.

o

Thanks, SparklingWater. To me, they look like cabinets from the twenties. It's my favorite kitchen look. Plain cabinets with glass doors built to fit the space.

I remember when my mother painted the glass in the uppers in our farm kitchen because she didn't want anyone to see in her cupboards. I missed how they looked and didn't understand what there was to hide. Still don't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here