Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer11203_gw

Layout (Drawers and Island Question)

jennifer11203
10 years ago

So this is my layout (don�t mind the colors). FYI, my kitchen is 17 x 17 with a half wall on the right which will be a seating/bar area.

So my questions are�

1 - Do you think my island is too large, as of right now it is 48 x 72 (the left side of the island is a bookshelf)

2- Do you think I should keep all base drawers? I read in a lot of forums that say the base drawers are the way to go but I just want to make sure before I place the order. The ones to the right are two 30 inch sets with I believe a 15 inch next to it. I just feel like there soooo much more money and I want to make sure it�s worth the extra money.
Thank you.

Comments (19)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Can you post an overhead layout, with dimensions?

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a pretty close overlay that i sent to the granite guy. it may not be exact. I have the exact dimensions at home so when i get home from work I will post them. sorry thats its not great but I think you can get an idea.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@annkh - i was just looking at that picture and thinking to myself... that probably doesnt help at all -- lol sorry

• muskokascp
    10 years ago

I am not sure this is the best layout for function - the fridge is a long distance from your sink. What do you plan on using the long run of counter for ? Aisle widths are pretty important to know as well.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@muskokascp - thanks for your help. im fine with the layout. the fridge and sink have been like that for years and it never bothered me. im just more concerned with the island being too large. And, there is a little over 3 feet on each side of the island.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If the fridge and sink have been like that, what is changing? How do you plan to use that long run where you have a lot of drawers?

There is a tedious and somewhat painful process that will really pay off well as far as deciding on drawers, and you have to be the one to do it. You need to take stock of your own kitchen inventory and figure out what goes where and where and how it will be used. Then you know if you have enough drawers, too many, the right things in the right place,

I think you are pushing it on your aisle space around the island, especially since your fridge and ovens open up to it. The wide spaces on the long side may actually make it harder to work at the island.

Are you combining two rooms? This looks like a large kitchen that isn't working up to it's potential.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@lascatx There is actually a lot changing all I have right now is a sink and a fridge so I am having the whole kitchen done. I donâÂÂt really have any other options of where to put my fridge. The long run with all the drawers will be a seating/bar area with seating to the right with an overhang. We have a half of wall there. We are not combining two rooms this is the size of the kitchen. The reason my kitchen is set up like this is because next to the fridge I have a 5 foot patio door and opposite that I have an entry way to the kitchen. Opposite the cabinets (which you cant see in the prior pictures) we will have our kitchen table. What do you suggest since you donâÂÂt think its working up to potential? Also, what do you mean by âÂÂThe wide spaces on the long side may actually make it harder to work at the islandâÂÂ?

I attached a layout of which I did from the Ikea website - this is just to give you an idea of the whole room.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I love big islands, and also worry about making mine too big (63 x 90)....feel free to comment on my plans. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0516423224298.html?27

I think 42" walking space is a minimum. Can you visit other kitchens and take a tape measure with you? It really helped me get a feel for aisle spacing.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow I wish I could fit a 63 x 90!

I think they say it should be 48" from island to counter but I feel like thatâÂÂs too far! Even 42" seems too far. I know that I have enough clearance in regards to opening appliances etc. but I just donâÂÂt want my kitchen to look too cluttered. But, then again I donâÂÂt want to regret anything later on and saying âÂÂit should of made it largerâÂÂ. Im going to go home and tape the floors to get an idea lol ��" thank you for your help. I think your plans look good, cant wait to see the finished kitchen!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Tape on the floor is good, I've used boxes, suitcases, and even a twin mattress (as "fridge") to help me visualize my space. 48" and even 55" aisles feel very comfortable to me when I'm in real kitchens. Could your big Aunt Bertha get to the oven if you were opening the fridge? I'm worried that my island is too large and my aisles too narrow, but I need the cabinet and seating space.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha your post made me laugh.. That's a good idea boxes! Hahah Aunt Bertha!! I guess I have no chose but to tape the floor to see if Aunt Bertha can fit lol

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha your post made me laugh.. That's a good idea boxes! Hahah Aunt Bertha!! I guess I have no chose but to tape the floor to see if Aunt Bertha can fit lol

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

I would also agree that the aisles are too narrow. The kitchen looks crowded to me with the size of the island. I would reduce the width so you have 42" of aisle. I also was of the mindset that this was too wide. Then I started visiting model homes and open houses and found that those with the 42" or more aisles just had a much airier feeling. I do believe that it's a decision you would not regret.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

We saw a setup in a showroom, and said "this is the absolute minimum space we want from cabinets to island." Measured, it was 42". We actually have more than that, 47" minimum to handles.

In your drawing, it looks like you could turn the island 90 degrees. Can you do that?

BTW, you should be measuring from the island and cabinet counter tops, not from the cabinet bases, or you are going to really be cramped. The kitchen in my wife's house has a peninsula. It is just over 5 feet in between wall cabinets and peninsula, and that is certainly not too far for ease of work.

This post was edited by attofarad on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 20:42

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

looks like much more room between stove/sink run and island. maybe too much?

looks like not enough on the sides tho. It does look like it could be turned around and fit in better.

that peninsula on the right will have an overhang and seating on the far side of it?

is the sink small? it looks tiny to me.

can the window be made bigger? it also looks small.

you can use drawers like pantry area too.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As of right now with the island as is, it is 42 from the sink and 38.5 on each side. I can probably turn the island 90 degrees but I donâÂÂt really like the look since I will be having a table opposite the cabinets and donâÂÂt think it would look so great.

@ desertsteph ��" the stove does have a large space from the rest. Yes there will be seating opposite the wall to the right. The sink is 33 inches so it is not small. I donâÂÂt think the window needs to be made larger I think the reason it looks small in the picture is because the picture is so dark and maybe because I have a valance above it. IâÂÂm going to get a mock up without the valance and see if there is a difference.

I attach a picture of a prior layout. The only difference is that the island is 60 x 48 and the cabinets are changed to the right. This picture is lighter so it might help a little. I feel like in this picture the island just looks to small so thatâÂÂs why we added the bookshelf. I still have to tape the floor and see how it will all work out but I really want the bigger island but if its not manageable then its not an option.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another shot of prior layout

• attofarad
    10 years ago

jennifer, are you giving space from the fridge/oven handles, and from the countertop overhang?

If the tape on the floor looks okay for spacing, you should get some boxes to come up to counter height. The tape just doesn't intrude on your space in the same way. If you've seen how much smaller a room or closet looks after the sheetrock goes on, you know what I mean.

My kitchen is simlar in having full height on one end (where your fridge is), and base/uppers on the other end. The full height/depth is more intrusive that the set back uppers. After I got my island in place, it felt more crowded on that end, so I slid it about 1.25" towards the base/uppers end; much better.

• jennifer11203
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@attofarad ��" yes I am adding an extra 1 ý from counter to island. After I tape the floors I will place boxes in the area to get a better feel. Do you think that 38.5 is cutting it close? I think that the problem too the wall with the fridge is just so much in one area that it kind of overwhelms the rest of the room. - thank you for your help :)