Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zarko123

grout between backsplash and countertop

zarko123
9 years ago

We just had our kitchen backsplash installed and the contractor used epoxy grout. He used it also on the join between the tiles and countertop and also where the tiles meet the cabinet.

By chance I just saw something that you should not grout between tile and countertop or anywhere that is a change in material because of cracking. It's too late now - but what sort of issues should I expect? From what I read, is it that the epoxy grout will crack and water seeps through?

Will the issue be even larger - if the epoxy grout is a very hard material, and there is movement of cabinets/countertop from settling, could cabinets/countertop/tiles be damaged or crack??

I don't know why he did this and it is frustrating now that I read about it after the fact. ..

I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Comments (7)

• weissman
    9 years ago

Most people recommend caulk between counter and backsplash. My tile guy used grout - I didn't know any different at the time. It's been 12 years now and I haven't had any cracking. I'm told that I'm the exception.

I'm not sure what to suggest - but I'm sure others will chime in. If it were me, I'd leave it and see what happens. If it does crack, you can always remove it then and caulk the joint. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems with your counters or cabinets.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I'd have them remove it and replace with caulk.

We just had our kitchen redone and the tile guy did the same thing (grouted at corner of BS and counter). How could he not know??? At our request, they came out and removed the grout and replaced it with caulk.

The reason I insisted on this is because in the previous kitchen grout was also used in that area. And it was cracked all over but especially near sink. Couldn't wait to do it right in the new kitchen but didn't think I'd have to make sure they did it correctly myself!

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

The reason you should caulk instead of grout this joint is because two different surfaces will probably expand and contract ever so slightly differently with seasonal humidity changes. Grout is 100% rigid and unforgiving whereas caulk is flexible. It's called an expansion joint.

It would probably be easier to get them to redo it now rather than you waiting to see if it cracks in the next year or two and then trying to get them to come back and redo it. It might never crack but it's probably more likely that it will.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Our tile guy used grout on this joint - it cracked shortly after install and was removed and replaced with caulk. It is the same color and has been perfect since then.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Be sure to be proactive in achieving a matching caulk. The manufacturer's caulk can be quite different even though it is supposed to match, so test it first. Installers also often use too much water when grouting which lightens the color ( application{{gwi:807}} circumstances maybe not be an issue with epoxy types).

Color Rite has a large color collection they can color match for you if you send them a piece of the grout.
    They also have a sanded caulk.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 21:05

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

zarko123:

Here's your feedback as requested:

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH