Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home4all6

french door & screen options

home4all6
11 years ago

Hello all!

We are meeting with our architect TONIGHT to see his plans for the first time--I am vury, vury excited!! I will be sure to keep you posted as to what we learn :)

I am busy researching and planning, idea-gathering. But I am stuck in one area and am hoping form inspiration from you. We have a very large picture window, 67" across, that we are looking to turn into a door to access our deck.

Our house is old and full of pairs of french doors. And we love them. Ideally, I'd like this door to be a set of french doors to open wide to the outside. But here in the midwest, that is just not an option, without some sort of screen. We must have a screen. Also, the spot is framed on either side by built-in bookshleves, with arched tops.

I love this look:

So what are my options?

1. middle-hinged french door, operating side opens back on the other stationary door, with sliding screen (We have this now in our family room, and it is fine. but it's not the traditional look I was hoping for.

2. french doors with some sort of retractable screen? (Those scare me with little kids--and we have many little kids!)

3. Wooden screen doors--I LOVE this idea, but does anyone have it? Would it work? What am I missing?

This picture claims that these are sliding screens, but I kinda doubt it?

5. Sliding patio door--again not the look I am hoping to achieve.

4. Something I have yet to think of? HELP?!?!

While this area is not currently in my kitchen, with the upcoming remodel, we will likely lose the direct deck access, and this door will be nearer to the kitchen, so will get most of the ins and outs of the kids as well as food, dishware, etc used during outdoor dining.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Since you are in the midwest you probably also need a storm door, so just have one made that has two panels, one glazed and one with screens, and change them seasonally. That's how I handle the issue where I have french doors to the outside. You just have to work to make sure these two doors look nice with each other and that the muntin patterns don't conflict and door knobs, as well, since you don't want them to bang into each other when the door is closed. The main door (primary) is an in-swing and the storm screen is an out-swing.

Another option, if your primary door is already double glazed is simply a set of seasonally installed screen doors - the hinges remain on the jamb year round, but you just pull the hinge pin and lift off the screens and stow them. These provide no protection from burglars (by themselves) since they are designed to have thier pins easiuly slipped out. This type of screen door is usually lighter weight than one which has a glazed panel in the winter. It provides that nice summer sound of a screen door closing when its spring pulls it back..

The traditional non-storm doored french door doesn't work very well in climates where storm doors and screens are necessary. But it works wonderfully leading out to a balcony in Paris! I, alas, live in northern NY so storms and screens are absolutely necessary for me.

HTH

L.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

You might want to check into retractable screens. We've had them on our sliding patio doors for years and love them. We currently have a Pella retractable screen and we have used Phantom in the past. I know Phantom make retractables for French doors. I added a link below. The website also lists suppliers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phantom retractable screens

• home4all6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only experiences I have had with those retractable screens were pretty scary :) They fly back so fast! I can't imagine my kids using them properly, or not being terrified of them! Thanks for the link, I will look into them!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Look for two screened doors that open outward (the reverse of the French doors). I've seen them in magazines and I know they must exist...somewhere. Retractable screens are popular, but I would prefer something like your picture, above. Older homes should have older style doors! Just my two cents :)

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

The grandparents have lots of retractable screens. Scared my kids at first...kind of good thing though! Now they respect them and use them the right way, or ask for help :-) Grandma has tried four brands - all stunk...except for Phantom. The Phantom screens are the only ones that work. We're planning on having one installed since our new porch door will have to swing out onto the porch instead of in like it used to (due to interior changes). Good luck!

• rdw829
    11 years ago

We have Phantom retractable screens for our French doors. Have had them for approx. 6 or 7 years (can't remember when we put them in!) and no problems at all. We have two young kids as well (almost 5 and 2) - no issues. (but they can't open them either).

• home4all6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rdw829, it's good to hear you have no issues. But your kids can't open them? That would be a problem, here, as the kids are in and out all day long. That is exactly what I was afraid of :(

• rdw829
    11 years ago

home4all - how old are your kids? Like I said, mine are 5 and 2. The doors stay cloes with a strong magnetic attachment, so no, they don't open them. Which I actually prefer that an adult has to let them out. Love the doors though - the previous owners had nothing and I hated the idea of no screens or not opening the doors. Love that these can be hiddena way when we don't need them.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I did a bunch of research about this last year. I found an option that I found appealing - it's a top-down screen that is hidden in a wood valance and you just pull it down when you need the screen. The bottom is weighted so it stays basically put, but kids or animals can push through.

• Susied3
    11 years ago

I'm wondering about dogs. Do the Phantom screens hold steady in place, or do they release if something runs into them?
    We have a neighbor dog that loves us, I have my french door open 90% of the time, every time it thunders, he comes to our house, and before I can catch him, he paws through the screen. We have replaced 4 screen doors this spring.
    Home4all6, do you have pets that would make it an issue?

• jscout
    11 years ago

You can also take a look at Mirage Retractable Screens. They are competitors to the Phantom. I played with the Mirage at a builder's show a couple of years ago and I thought it was a great product. I have French Patio doors but no screen...yet. I've been looking at the retractables. They are pricey at about $800 a set, so I've held off getting them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirage Retractable Screen

• home4all6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My kids are 8, 5, 2, and 2. And yep, we have a spunky little mutt that flies in and out right alongside the kids. The doors would be our primary in and out to our deck and backyard, which is the primary play-spot for our kids, as well as half the neighborhood kids, too. And the in and out is constant--drinks, snacks, potty breaks, etc.

These retractable screens sound great, but not right for our house and our uses.

I'm kinda diggin' the idea of a pair of old-fashioned wooden screen doors, that self-close behind all those kids :) Guess I will have to continue my research...but I'm sure it's a possibility.

• christina923
    11 years ago

perhaps larson's french door storm doors?? i just had them installed and love it