Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

Finished! White country Victorian w/ copper and brick

hollylh
14 years ago

Hello all...I have been a lurker and sometimes poster for a while now--I was more active when I was in the design phase, about a year ago. As you can tell from the title this kitchen is eclectic, but it's me. Many many thanks to all the amazing and helpful people here, and especially to arlosmom, mamadadapaige and pirula, whose kitchens were huge inspirations (as will be obvious from the pix!).

I know, I know, you are scrolling down to the pictures anyway, so here it is:

By no means was this a gut rehab. I liked to call it a tweak, which made DH roll his eyes...we had a lovely kitchen before. However, when we needed to reconfigure the adjoining family room and mudroom, we got to the point where we would have been matching things in the kitchen we didn't love in the first place, so we decided to go for it and fix the main issues as well. The old kitchen was way too dark, the main passageway (by the brick) was too narrow, we needed more storage, and we really wanted a place to eat besides the island.

Before:

(this was after we had already demoed the wall)

What we did:

--enlarged window

--demo'ed wall which we knew had brick behind it--we were just trying to gain width (we got about 5'') but I also love the look!

--replaced uppers and oven cab and island

--reused island to become new peninsula (we cut down the existing top)and coverted the cabinets in it to drawers

--honed the granite and removed the 4'' backsplash (it couldn't be honed in place anyway)

--kept the old appliances, except for ovens and hood

--painted everything white

Details:

--Ovens--Monogram

--Hood--custom from a local sheet metal shop; innards are Modernaire

--New cabs--Crown Point

--Hardware--Restoration Hardware and Van Dyke's

--Backsplash--4'' V-groove beadboard

I was very worried about the uppers being inset and the bottoms being full overlay...but it bothers me not at all. Also, I felt really, really guilty about painting the cherry, which is why I didn't do it for 9 years (the kitchen was done by the previous owners). But as soon as it was done I didn't look back.

My sweet DS told me, "Mommy, it could be in a kitchen magazine." (They have seen me reading them constantly for a couple of years.) He knows the way to my heart!

Holly

Comments (65)

• erikanh
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holly, it looks so fabulous! I have a couple questions:

When you get a chance can you take a photo of the inside of those shallow cabinets on the side of your oven stack? That seems like such a terrific use of a narrow space!

I noticed you changed some base cabinets to drawer stacks. How did you do that?

I'm in love with your banquette. Can you tell me about where you got the seats? Are they custom made?

What type of granite do you have and how are you liking the honed finish?

Congratulations on your fabulous "tweaked" space!

Erika

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Really, really lovely! I agree - it belongs in a kitchen magazine. I love your use of color - it makes it very bright and welcoming.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i love it! it's beautiful! the white and lt. yellow really open it up over the dark wood, darker green. and i love the brick showing - always love brick and arches in a kitchen!

i also really like the use of space in the shallow cab to the side of your ovens. do you store canned goods there? how deep is it?

i like that it's not just another 'pretty' kitchen - it's individual - good for you!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

It looks incredible! (can I move in?) LOVE the blue ceiling! What a fabulous touch.

I'm with jenswrens - I didn't even notice you had mixed inset and overlay doors. It just looks seamless and very well thought out.

How do you like your GE ovens?

• flseadog
    14 years ago

What a warm and welcoming kitchen. The next time someone wonders whether a kitchen with white cabinets will be too sterile everyone will be saying take a look a Holly's kitchen. It's just great!

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone--sorry I have been gone a while--just finished hosting my son's end-of-season baseball party. It was the maiden voyage for the new space and it all worked really well! MUCH better than the old layout. I was very happy with it.

Thank you so much for all the nice comments! I will try to answer everyone's questions--

The oven cabs are awesome. One of my must-haves for the kitchen was a walk-in pantry...um, didn't happen. So my great GC managed to move the ovens over and we squeezed in an 8'' deep cab. I will take pix and post--it holds a lot.

Thank you for the compliments on the colors. I thought long and hard and was convinced I had to have Farrow and Ball but in the end just couldn't manage the whole ordering thing, when there is a BM paint store literally around the corner. The walls are Philadelphia Cream and the ceiling is Harbor Fog (I am 99% sure). The cabs are White Dove. White Dove has never failed me yet!

BTW I heard that BM had discontinued oil-based paint--if this is true then run to your paint store and buy it while they still have it, if you're painting cabs.

Boxerpups--thank you! the windows are Andersen and yes, the diamonds are custom. Mamadadapaige was my inspiration. I originally wanted the very Victorian-looking ones that have all diamonds in the upper pane--till I found out what they cost!

Steff--my GC recommended the sheet metal shop--if you are in MA I can give you the name. I decided to have the standing seams only on the top, not running down the lip, because I was afraid my tall DH would gouge himself on a corner. As a result we have the silver-colored solder seams on the front...they are not perfect but honestly, I like the handcrafted look of them. I was trying to go with function over form when I had a big aesthetic question, since I figured in and original kitchen of the period they would have done the same. The hood is quite plain but I love it. We're letting it patina on its own...right now it's pretty shiny but that won't last.

Erika--changing the lower cabinets to drawers wasn't too bad--I went through this whole long thing getting the measurements on my own, planning to go thru Scherr's (since we needed new drawer fronts too) but in the end my GC found a cabinetmaker who also did the built-ins in the family room. That was at the end point of the reno and at that point I didn't have the energy to be pushy and insist on Blum full-extension, etc. etc....the glide we have aren't Blum and they're OK. The drawers aren't super-duper but they function quite well for now. If I had had the energy (can you tell I was getting tired?) I would have tried to get Ikea drawers and make them work, since I've heard such good things about them.

I was all worried about the doors not all matching perfectly but it just isn't an issue. The rails aren't all exctly the same width on the old vs. new Crown Point vs. custom drawer fronts. But since they're all white I think it's OK. (Eclectic, right??)

The banquette is Ballard--a total deal--literally one-third of what I was quoted by a custom upholstery shop. And it has storage in the seats! The fabric is a Waverly I got half-off at JoAnn's. Ballard will do COM. We love it too. My younger DS insisted he wanted a "booth." DH sometimes pretends we're eating at Applebee's...but I don't care, it works!

The granite is Uba Tuba--was here originally--and I LOVEthe honed finish. It is SO much easier to take care of! With the polished I had to use a detergent and then dry it off completely several times a day or it looked awful. DH used a squeegee! With the honed I just use a wet sponge and it's fine.

Lisa_a--I love the ovens--caveats are that Monogram service is very annoying, and so I got these thru a local store that handles the service themselves. Usually only a trained Monogram person will work on them, which means you have to call the GE 800 number and get an appointment for a week later...just a pain. Our old ovens were Monogram and our fridge is too. These ovens have great features and the preheat is so fast! However, they're four months along, and the little plastic knob on the really cool timer just broke...they're coming to fix that next week.

Whew...again,thank you for all your incredibly nice comments! I will post pix of the oven cabs ASAP.

Holly

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is another shot I didn't include before, cabinet closed:

Here it is open:

Oops...sorry about the view of the toilet.

I really think a shallow pantry is the way to go. No wasted space and you can see everything. Of course, I would love it if this were a little bigger. However, I was thinking about how much food we waste inadvertently anyway, and maybe for me not having tons and tons of surplus on hand is a good thing. I like running to the market right before dinner anyway, when I can, for inspiration. Maybe I just wish I were Parisian...

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

WOW! How pretty and unique yet classic. I love your banquette and your clever use of space with your pantry. I also love the brick and beadboard b/s. Great job. Enjoy!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

I love every single element in this kitchen. My favorites are the banquette which I want, and the touch of brick is just perfect. I'm still trying like heck to figure some brick, even faux, into my design. The yellow walls and perfect white cabinets, as well as the frosted pendants just have me drooling. I even had to call DH in here to ses this. Just lovely!

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Ooo la la! I'm going to clip this post! Your kitchen makes me want to come over and make dinner for you. :)

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Holly, I wondered where your have been. All the angst about what to do with the kitchen was worth it. Your kitchen is terrific! I didn't realize the upper and lower cabs were not the same design. It's hard to see even when looking for it.

I love your deep window sills. It's a perfect place for plants, and really is an 'old house' element. I am very envious.

The shallow pantry works great. My KD tried to talk me out of a 9'' deep cab on the back side of the island. Glad to know how nice it is for your kitchen.

I see a hinge beside the fridge. What's tucked in there?

• starpooh
    14 years ago

ohmigosh! Your transformation is much, much more than a simple tweak!

May I have your permission to archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily add it to the categories.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I just love the Philadelphia Cream on your kitchen walls as well as your gorgeous kitchen renovation. I have this color on my spare bedroom walls that I seem to like only in natural daylight but I love it in your room and in my neighbor's home.

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi all--thanks again. Cotehele, yes, that's a teeny little cab, just big enough for my broom and a carpet sweeper--thanks GW for the idea! I will take a pic--although it is not at its best now as since it's gotten hot, I think the wood has swelled and the door won't close. So have to have a carpenter back here to fix it.

Starpooh, I would be honored to be in the FKB! I will go to the checklist--

Peace rose, come on over--although isn't the idea that I cook for you now that my kitchen works? :)

oh, and the deep windows--yes, that was part of the plot to make the kitchen seem wider--they really give a feeling of space and of course are much cheaper than actually bumping out. The windows are a little tricky to open but I don't mind, and I put sash lifts on the bottom as a period detail that is also practical.
    Lynn2006--yes, the Phil. Cream is beautiful. The guy at the paint store thought it would get washed out b/c of all the light but I don't find that at all. I had had my heart set on F&B House White but then decided to keep life simple and go with Ben Moore.

• cncnh
    14 years ago

Your new kitchen is just beautiful. I love the exposed brick and the copper hood. Both add so much character. I am also planning to try the Ballard banquette seating. I'm not sure exactly where I want to put the banquette, so I figured with the Ballard seating I can move it around until I get it just right. Yours look great!

Would you be able to post a close up picture of your honed Uba Tuba? I also lived with polished Uba for many years, and although it was indestructable I agree that it showed the streaks. It's such a good deal at our granite place that I'd love to use it again -- only honed this time.

Nice work!

• eandhl
    14 years ago

You did a beautiful job. I especially like your cabs.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Wow...what a fantastic job. Everything works beautifully!!! I love all the different elements that you chose. By far, my favorite is the mix of the brick and the copper hood. Your banquette area looks very cozy and relaxing. Congratulations on a terrific transformation! Enjoy!!!

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the brick. It's always really neat to see brick in a kitchen - and to see something that is unique and special to that house in particular. I am figuring out how to get a bit of brick in mine! Oh, you are inspiring visions........

Love it!

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi--yes, I love the brick--it is very warm feeling to me. The plates are strategically placed to hide patches where we think the original range must have been directly vented. I think you could achieve the look with antiqued pavers (the thin kind) on the wall and it would be well worth it. Brick was something that spoke to me, too, every time I saw it in a kitchen pic, and I was lucky I had some hiding.

I'm glad people like the brick-copper combo--way back at the beginning of this process I was going to use a friend's old copper fireplace hood, but it ended up being too expensive to modify. But I got the copper bee in my bonnet and couldn't give it up. I know it is a little unusual with the white cabs but I did think it would work with the brick, and also it will patina and calm down a bit. My final justification was that it might have been an original material in a Vic. kitchen...maybe?

Here is the Uba Tuba:

I don't think it looks so speckled in real life--the different colors are more muted. However, now that's it's honed I do notice the green more, which I like. And as you can tell from the larger pix, overall it just reads black, but the speckles hide the crumbs!

HTH

• timber.j
    14 years ago

What a great redo! I really like your beadboard backsplash.
    Did you hone the countertops yourself? Is it a dusty process?

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi timber.j--Thank you! re the granite--no, we had stone guys do the honing--they also had to cut down the original island top (which became the peninsula counter). The honing wasn't dusty, but LOUD. We are pleased with the results though!

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

holly, I LOVE your kitchen! Everything about it is perfect. I love your mix of colors, textures and finishes. I love your pantry behind your double ovens, what an ingenious idea!
    The philadelphia cream paint with the harbor fog ceiling and the white dove cabs, is just beautiful. Your kitchen looks like it was always there. You've done a great job.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen. I especially like the door fronts on the upper cabinets flanking your beautiful copper hood! Your window is to die for too, I love that grill pattern. What a great use of the space and it's so charming!!

Kat :)

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Wow! you managed to turn a pretty but fairly contemporary kitchen into a gorgeous vintage kitchen. Fantastic job. The colors are perfect, the mix of white, copper and brick are amazing. Congratulations!

• morton5
    14 years ago

What a comfy, welcoming kitchen. I love the copper, brick, and honed uba tuba. Cool pantry, too. There is so much visual interest in this kitchen but the overall effect is comforting and calming. I would love to sit in your cozy, sunny seating area, with the door open to the garden, and revel in the space. Great job!

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, thank you...you all are really warming the cockles of my heart...

back before we started I made a list of adjectives that I wanted the new kitchen to reflect--and you all are using them! woo-hoo! in particular I wanted a space that was colorful yet calming at the same time. that didn't make sense but I tried...so glad it has seemed to work.

Kat, on another thread someone referred to your gorgeous kitchen, but I didn't see it on the FKB--could you share pix?

I wanted to mention again that I know it was a real luxury to change a nice working kitchen. There were functional changes, although they aren't as obvious as the aesthetic. We were very lucky to be able to make it work in this economy. (The economy is part of what made it work--we ended up a) giving up a few bells and whistles that weren't necessary, and then b) getting a bid that was literally half of the original ones.) Since we will be here for a long time, hopefully in the end it's a good investment.

I think the best part is that we now sit around that table (at "Applebee's", LOL) and have wonderful family dinners nearly every night. Renovation: way too much. Family dinners: priceless.

thank you again everyone--

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Holly, I still have a ways to go on finishing my kitchen, we still haven't put in the backsplash...long story, but as soon as we have it all done (by the end of the summer I hope!) we will post in the FKB if asked! I truly love seeing everyone's kitchens, it never ceases to amaze me how creative and talented everyone is at creating warm and inviting spaces no matter what their taste or budget. It makes me want to become a kitchen designer just so I can continue to share in the fun. Enjoy your lovely kitchen!

Kat :)

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Holly, if you don't mind, I'd like to use your hood photo to show some fabricators an example of what I'm looking for. I will plan to make it a little different, of course. It's just so perfectly simple.

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steff--that's great. Let me know if you need more pix or dimensions, etc.

FYI, my GC built a wooden frame, and then the sheet metal shop built the copper around it. Make sure you have the dimensions of the vent inside for the fabricator.

good luck and have fun--

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Holly, I wanted to ask you where you got your wall pot rack and how do you like having your pots above your cooktop? Do they feel secure?
    Is it convenient for you to pull them down and put them back up? It really adds a nice touch in your kitchen!

• prill
    14 years ago

Holly- hope you're still reading this post. I'm just about to paint my cabinets BM White Dove. It seems you painted with oil paint... are you worried about it yellowing? I'm kind of freaking out about that right now. Priscilla

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi prill--well, I feel sort of stupid, but I didn't know about the yellowing thing either. Too late for me now...I certainly don't have any issues yet. If I were doing it again, I might do a high-end waterborne paint like Fine Paints of Europe or Farrow and Ball. I would also be curious to hear if it would be cheaper to use a latex...I feel like I painted too much for my paint job and maybe it was more b/c it was oil.

I did hear from my guy at the paint store (surprised he didn't tell me about yellowing, as he is a guru) that BM was discontinuing oil paint altogether. So it might become a moot point.

BTW, I ordered my new cabs primed and had them painted onsite only because I was concerned about matching the new cabs with the old base ones. Otherwise I would have just ordered them already finished!

Good luck and HTH!

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Dear Holly,
    Your kitchen is beautiful! We are building a new kitchen/DR addition (14.5'x23'). But one of the layouts we're considering crams an L shape in a 8'x12'6" space, with an island, too. I noticed that the layout I came up with is very similar to yours; the dimensions even look almost the same. So that's why I was hoping you could help me with 3 things in the fine tuning:

- What are the dimensions of your L? (ie, how long is the stove run and the sink/fridge run?)

- I've considered putting the microwave next to the fridge, where yours is. I noticed that in your old kitchen yours was next to the stove, which is also a consideration in my plan (it's not as visible there for us). Do you notice a big difference between them in terms of usefulness? That cabinetry above the DW is prime real estate for glasses/mugs so I hate to give it up for the micro. Did you consider putting it in the island - why or why not?

- We're getting close to ordering the windows and I'm having a heck of a time determining the size! We, too, are planning on 2 double hung windows over the sink. Can you tell me what yours measure? (Any chance you know the size of the raw opening, too?) And their height above the floor or countertop? Lastly, are they centered over the faucet?

I do apologize for asking such detailed questions!

With gratitude,
    Peace_Rose

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Peace! Sorry it took me a while to get back--we're in summer mode and I hadn't even been online. Thank you for the kind words. Our kitchen is working wonderfully and I am very happy to share whatever you want to know. I wanted to go ahead and post but I can post some pix later too if that would be helpful.

--Dimensions--stove run in 8'10'' and sink/fridge run (including fridge) is 13'8''.

I think you could easily fit the same layout into your space. Our fridge is 42", cooktop is 36" and we have a double bowl sink. If you decreased appliance sizes a bit it would be fine.

--MW next to fridge--it is working for us much better here. One of my main concerns was to get people out of the cook's zone (the elbow of the L, between cooktop and sink). With the MW in its old location people were always getting in each other's way. Also, so often you're MWing something straight out of the fridge so that is more convenient.

I hear you about the real estate for glasses, etc. I wish our cab was just a couple of inches lower. The first shelf of the cab is too high for the kids to get things. But I think we dealt with that pretty well with the shelf right underneath--hopefully you can see it in the pix--kids can reach everything and also I happen to love open shelves and wanted to have one somewhere.

Didn't consider it in the island b/c DH is 6'2'' and I knew he'd hate it.

Windows--very quickly--whole opening is 61'' long by 53'' high. Each window is 27'' wide.

Have to rush to dinner but will post more later--

Holly

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was reading thru this and realized I never saw your question about the potrack...don't know if you'll see this response but I'll try anyway. The potrack was a real find--half price on the Williams-Sonoma website. SO I don't think you could find the same one, but if I hadn't found that one I would probably try a commercial kitchen website or something like that. I LOVE having the pots right there. I know the Revereware is no longer sexy, but it's the old made-in-USA stuff and I love it. It is especially handy having the colanders there. The only problem is that a couple of times I have gone for a colander while I'm using the stove and have forgotten that they heat up, too! Minor problem.

I have always liked the look of a true working kitchen so I like having things showing.

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So to answer the rest of your questions re the windows--they are not centered over the sink. It made much more sense with the layout to have them where they were and we didn't mess with the bases at all except to paint them, so I wasn't going to move the sink. As I mentioned that elbow of the L is the main work area and it made more sense to have more counter there and less on the R of the sink, as that is just landing space.

The windows are a little under 6'' above the counter--so 42''off the floor. (Our ceilings are 9'.)

I have seen lots of postings on here about to center or not center the sink...I have to say it just doesn't bother me at all. I really don't think anyone would even notice. The windows are much more of a feature than the sink.

I took a few more photos of the sink/window area and also of the shelf under the MW. Let me know if you need more!

Holly

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Holly, thank you sooo much! These are the details that will make all the difference as we zero in on our plans. I love the look of a working kitchen, too. And it's so helpful to hear how your set up works in real life. Do you find that you do your prep on the island, and cooking in the "elbow"?

The layout gurus here overwhelmingly favor a prep sink. Do you ever wish you had one? (I know it's one of those "in a perfect world" things....but just wondering since we're building from scratch...).

Thank you for pointing out the shelf under the MW - how clever! I don't think I would have thought of that, but will definitely consider it, because I've been looking for some open shelving options too. Also will make a note about installing the MW cabinet lower!

Those pictures of the sink are so, so, so helpful, too. No matter how I tweak with it, everything just ends up off center. It's one of those things I wouldn't even notice if I wasn't looking for it; seeing yours makes me feel a lot better about it. Looks great!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Holly, simply a fantastic job! What a lot of effort and planning, but it really paid off. I think my favorite parts are your windows and your banquette. Enjoy many wonderful family meals!

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mamalynn--thanks! we really love our space. Had family friends over last night for DH's bday and it worked wonderfully.

Peace--I don't miss a prep sink at all. The space is small enough that I just use the regular sink. I might miss one if I didn't have the double-bowl sink--I use the smaller bowl (w/ disposal) for prep and the larger half for dishes, mostly. (I am a dirty-dish-storer. Everyone has their methods.) In the perfect world the second bowl would be larger--a colander just barely fits--but I wouldn't want a prep sink taking up room on the island. (BTW island dimensions are 33'' x 60''.)

I do prep on the island and the elbow. I find I am doing much more prep on the island now for two reasons--one, the butcher block is so user-friendly. I cut right on it. And two, we reconfigured the island so the seating is at one end, not spread out along one whole side. We used to have three stools on the oven aisle side, plus of course we had no table, so people were always sitting there doing projects or whatever and were totally in the work space. I highly recommend having a working end of the island and a seating end.

HTH!

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mamalynn--thanks! we really love our space. Had family friends over last night for DH's bday and it worked wonderfully.

Peace--I don't miss a prep sink at all. The space is small enough that I just use the regular sink. I might miss one if I didn't have the double-bowl sink--I use the smaller bowl (w/ disposal) for prep and the larger half for dishes, mostly. (I am a dirty-dish-storer. Everyone has their methods.) In the perfect world the second bowl would be larger--a colander just barely fits--but I wouldn't want a prep sink taking up room on the island. (BTW island dimensions are 33'' x 60''.)

I do prep on the island and the elbow. I find I am doing much more prep on the island now for two reasons--one, the butcher block is so user-friendly. I cut right on it. And two, we reconfigured the island so the seating is at one end, not spread out along one whole side. We used to have three stools on the oven aisle side, plus of course we had no table, so people were always sitting there doing projects or whatever and were totally in the work space. I highly recommend having a working end of the island and a seating end.

HTH!

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I echo the sentiments above. Truly lovely kitchen.
    Might I add that the pulls that function as towel racks in front of the sink are pure genius? Would you mind sharing where they are from?

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Good eye, Ruby! I wanna know, too! The little details just keep on coming. Thanks for the pointers about the island seating, too!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

I'm glad I found this thread as I am considering getting crown point uppers and reusing some of my frameless lowers with new drawer fronts and trim. Did the CP designers have any problems with working with uppers only? I assume the pantry is CP also? Did your crown molding come from CP or was that what your gc put in? How high are your ceilings and your upper cabs? I ask becuase I have standard 8 ft ceiling and was trying to figure out how to get crown molding at the top of the cabinets along the ceiling.
    thanks!
    Nancy

• hollylh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi--have been away for a bit--first, for peace and rubyfig--the handles are from Restoration Hardware. And yes, I was very pleased with myself for thinking of that detail! The only problem is that I wish I had installed them on the lower doors, as the towels are always getting caught when I open the doors (as I do often b/c trash and recycling is there). I actually figured this out going to sleep one night and went down the next morning to tell my GC, but he was so gung-ho that he had already installed them on the pullouts, as I had told him the day before...oh well.

Scrappy--I love the Crown Point cabs! And hopefully you see that mixing inset and frameless is totally doable. The only thing is that I did not get my replacement doors from CP--we replaced some drawer fronts on the bases but these were supplied by the local guy who did some other built-ins for us. I think I could have gotten CP to do them but as replacement doors aren't really their thing the other way worked better, I think. However, If I were replacing all of them I'd try to do all CP. They are lovely to work with although they did gently try to get me to consider replacing the bases too--but I said no and they weren't at all pushy.

Yes, the pantry is CP also.

The crown molding is not CP--I think that probably would be $$$$. It's from a great local lumberyard (Anderson-McQuaid if you are in eastern MA).

Our ceilings are 9' and the uppers are about 50'', then the crown on top. THis is including the light rail underneath--I don't remember what the ordering dimensions were. If you look at the pix, you will see there are several inches between the top of the door and the bottom of the crown. My GC actually had to attach a board on top of the cabs and then the crown--it all worked out fine, but I don't know if this was a mistake on CP's part or not. I was worried about the single doors being too big so it probably is just as well. Also, this is an old house and the ceiling wasn't level, which doesn't show with the extra valance board on top. (It's all painted so the seams aren't visible.)

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all getting a crown in with the 8'. Crown molding is available in all different sizes and CP will build the cabs to your measurements. You might not have room for stacked cabs if that's what you want, but a friend of mine has stacked and I know her ceilings are lower than mine, so maybe you could. (I sort of wish I had done the stacked, but it was a lot more money.)

HTH!

• m Price
    8 years ago

Can you tell me the name of the stoneyard that honed the countertops? I would love to do the same, I have the polished uba countertops in y kitchen.

Thanks!

• lam702
    8 years ago

Oh that copper hood is just gorgeous! Nice job!

• geo55
    8 years ago

Beautiful redo! Love what you did with the granite! Can you tell me how it was to remove the 4" backsplash and hone it? I'd love to do that with my black shiny granite! Thanks.

• 4kelleykelly
    7 years ago

Geo55 did you ever have your granite honed? I've been trying to hire granite guys to hone ours but no one seems to want to tackle the job. They say absolute black granite it too hard.

• geo55
    7 years ago
    4kelley, no decided to live with it, but still planning to remove the 4" back splash. Contractors probably don't want the liability if they haven't done it before and are not sure how it would turn out.
Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm