Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent about tile sales person

Posted by lincolnduncan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:31

I know this is petty but here it is. I get so annoyed when someone is just trying to rip you off. We are doing a big renovation. Basically the whole house including 5 bathrooms. The master and powder are going to be really nice and I'm not skimping on tile (not going Waterworks crazy, but not cheap). The other bathrooms (a basement powder room and 2 kids baths) are going to be very simple white subway tile. So she's trying to sell me Florida tile for about $5 sq ft with a chair rail at $7 a piece. So I ask why I would possibly do that when I can get daltile at Home Depot for a lot less. From everything I've read here, Florida and daltile are basically the same thing, but she was giving me the hard sell on hers and insinuating that I was being cheap. So irritating Vent over : )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent about tile sales person

You came to the right place. Your best friend may find your tile shopping incredibly tedious, but we understand. :)

As for that incompetent salesperson, oh, well. Let's face it, we're all precious jewels, but if Tory Burch fell of a ship one way and her purse went the other, everyone would go after the purse. (And I'm not talking design here. She's now a billionaire courtesy of those purses.)

o

Looks like you've done your research! It is endless. Good job!

o

I hear you on tile prices, OP. When we rec'd the tile allowance firgures from our builder, my initial thought was "omg, we're going to have garbage tile in our supposed-to-be-gorgeous new home!".
My reaction was predicated on the monstrously inflated prices that many tile mfrs/suppliers charge, which many of us have been conditioned to accept without question.
However, once I dug in and did some research, I determined pretty quickly that we'll be in fine shape with our allowances if we steer clear of most of the "name" tile people.
I mean, does anyone REALLY care what "brand" of tile is on your floor, on your wall, and in your shower, as long as it looks good and was properly installed?? Do people really try to obtain status and/or ego boosts through tile, for pete's sake?!?

o

All tile is not created equal. Name brands can offer a better, known quality of manufacture and materials as well as good company backing of the product. I'm not referring to the extremely high end designer tiles though where you do pay a lot for the name. Those prices are insane. But can be extraordinarly beautiful! That does take effort and talent. Pricing is still rather extreme, imo.

o

Not sure Dal Tile at HD is the same quality as at Dal Tile showroom stores. I've scanned HD/Lowes American Olean (bought by Dal Tile) too. Maybe you might visit Dal Tile itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here