Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ao34_gw

Granite countertops, should I or shouldn't I?

ao34
10 years ago

I was having a discussion with my installer about my backsplash tile. I have decided on a beveled white subway tile, I love the texture of it and how clean it looks. Only thing is that he told me if I ever want to replace my countertops, the tile would may be damaged for the install. So maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it now? Currently I have a creamy colored corian, other than being kind of 'blah' there is nothing wrong with it. Do people buy used countertops?

Comments (11)

• xc60
    10 years ago

I would think so on Craigslist..... Do you have anywhere you could still use them such as a crafts room, laundry room or for a workspace somewhere?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you were planning to replace the counters at some point, I would definitely do it before you do BS....most pick out counter first, then match BS to counter and cabs...so I would hold off buying tile until you decide on counter as the white subway you like may not be the right match for your granite. I would also try to sell old counter on CL...and if they dont sell, donate to Restore.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

You could always buy some extra tiles for a repair down the line.

• azpedsrn
    10 years ago

Yes, you can sell or donate corian. Some charities will even pick it up.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I like your Corian.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I donated all my kitchen cabinets and corian counter top to restore and will be able to take a write off on taxes. They also came to the house and picked everything up.

• smartdesignergirl
    10 years ago

If you're going to replace your countertops, wait to tile after the new ones are installed. Otherwise if you don't wait, your tile can get damage PLUS you'll have a gap between the existing tile and new countertop. Another point to make is that if you replace you countertop with a different material, like granite or quartz, there will be differences in the thickness of the countertop, which will effect things as well. You'll get a better fit and less hassle if you replace your top, then tile. Also, if you're cost conscious, its more expensive to custom fit a new back splash underneath existing tile.

You could probably donate your tops to your local Habitat for Humanity.

This post was edited by SmartDesignerGirl on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 12:06

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

ao34, were you thinking about replacing your countertops before the tile installer mentioned it? Sometimes it's easy to get sucked in to thinking we should do something new and different, but when we step back, we realize it's just fine the way it is.

Realistically, how long do you think you could live with your existing countertops? Would you make other changes to the kitchen at the same time? It's very possible that by the time you were to change counters, you would be ready to change the backsplash as well. Hardly anything in our kitchens is permanent!

• raenjapan
    10 years ago

Those counters look pretty good to me. I'd keep them, and keep some extra tiles to repair the backsplash down the line, should you eventually want to change them.

• azmom
    10 years ago

Evern If you decide to change your countertop now, are the cabinets "new" enough to compliment the new counter top?

From the photo, it seems the counter top and cabinets are good. If it is true, adding BS could give you more years of enjoyment from your exising kitchen, until you either move or replacing both countertop and cabinets.

• JoeRomero
    10 years ago

You should surely opt for the granite countertop .Keeping in mind the hardness of granite,go for the darker color as the hardness of granite depends on the color. The darker the granite the stronger and more dense the stone.