Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Electrical ? Can a light switch be underneath a wall cabinet

annab6
14 years ago

Due to a layout change, we need to relocate a couple of light switches. There is plenty of wall space except there is a steel post in the wall next to that electrical box which is going to be in the way. So I came up with this idea that the switches could somehow be underneath the wall cabinet instead of in the wall below the cabinet. Is that possible? Are there any special switch boxes that would be used for this purpose?

Comments (11)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Hi,
    You should be able to mount it in a wiremold box. I remember that someone here did so, and had posted pics. It is very efficient and a great companion to plugmold for hiding electrics.
    Casey

• akc_at_aeits
    14 years ago

I had all of my electrical work put in the bottom of the wall cabinets, because I did not want any cut outs in my back splash areas. So, there are light switches and outlets underneath those wall cabinets. I have face frame cabinetry, so in the wasted space of the frame they put 1/2 height electrical boxes. Then, those are covered with the bottom shelf. If you are making the cabinets, you can also have the bottom part so that it can be removed just in case there is any work that has to be done on them.

• annab6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sombreuil, what is a wiremold box?

Akc_at_aeits, we are getting framed cabinets also, what are 1/2 height electrical boxes? Is the bottom shelf then located any higher than the regular height? Do you by any chance have pictures?

• akc_at_aeits
    14 years ago

The 1/2 height electrical box is shorter in height, but it is longer. You should be able to get them at Loews, Home Depot ... There's nothing very special about them. As far as the bottom shelf, it would depend on how large your frame is as to whether or not the bottom shelf would actually be a little bit above the frame. I have frames that are 1 3/4 inches and the shorter box would have been about level with the frame. So, the bottom shelf would be up only by the thickness of that shelf. In my case, right now I have a lot of wasted space, because although the shorter boxes were used, the bottom of the shelf was made beforehand, when larger boxes were in the plan. (It's a long story ...) I cannot post pictures right now; I need to get my two girls to bed. If you wold like to see some later, let me know and I will take some and follow-up with another post.

• jtsgranite4us
    14 years ago

We put a dual switch under our cabinets. This switch controls the light above the sink and the garbage disposal. It is in the back portion of the cabinet to the right of the sink and is not very visible.

• annab6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Akc_at_aeits, I think I got it but, if it is not too difficult, I would love to see a picture to show my KD.

jtsgranite4us, how was yours done? is there a cutout in the cabinet in the back to accomodate the switchbox? Is the bottom shelf (bottom of the cabinet) raised as a result?

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of a 1/2 height or low-profile box installed under the cabinet. This is Sweeby's kitchen, and it's a pic that's been in my idea file for years. Hope she doesn't mind that I posted it here:

• akc_at_aeits
    14 years ago

I attempted to post some pictures of my under cabinet lighting and outlets. Please excuse the mess. Also, my kitchen is by no means finished. The faucet that you will see is not the one that is eventually going to be there, and the countertop is going to change as well. Also, some of the cover plates for the electrical outlets are not attached.

The first pictures are for cabinets (upper glass display cabinet stacked on top of a smaller wall cabinet) that are located above the main sink. When it is finished, the bottom shelf should be even with the face frame for the lower cabinet, likewise for the upper cabinet. One of the pictures shows the wiring that will be covered up. The switch for the under cabinet lighting that is in the bottom of that upper cabinet is located in the bottom of the lower cabinet on the left hand side. The pendant lights on either side of the sink are controlled by a switch located on the right hand side of that same bottom cabinet. The valance on the bottom of the lower cabinet hides the switches, and the valance on the bottom of the upper cabinet reduces the glare from under cabinet lighting.

The wall cabinets that have the electrical boxes along with the under cabinet lighting built into the bottom of the wall cabinet are shown in the last set of pictures. The last picture shows the interior of that wall cabinet with the raised bottom shelf. It does not have to be like that. The box is not that tall, but the bottom shelf was already made and this is what it currently looks like. So there is some wasted space there, but it can modified later. Also, a valance, similar to the one around the sink cabinet, is planned for this wall cabinet as well. The bottom of this cabinet can be seen in the next to the last picture. I don't have a need for more than two outlets on either side of my range; so, I did not need a strip of electrical outlets.

Hope this was of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: under cabinet lighting and outlets

• jtsgranite4us
    14 years ago

annab6 - ours is identical to jenswrens except ours is a dual rocker type switch.

• annab6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

big thanks to all four of you, one last question, is it still possible with a 3-way-switch with a dimmer or is there something about 3-way wiring that is makes it not suitable for this installation?

• mike1975
    14 years ago

My friend lived in her apartment for 6 months and had no idea how to turn on her garbage disposal. She just assumed it was broken until she found the switch under the cabinet while she was cleaning!