Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vate_gw

After 2+ years, DIY kitchen remodel complete!

vate
13 years ago

Before:

After:

The goal of this project was to completely remodel our 30-year old kitchen from top to bottom, and to save money (and incorporate cool features for less money) by doing most of the work ourselves. After 28 months, 850 manhours, and $28,000, I just finished the last few items.

The new kitchen is all maple, stained a fairly light cinnamon color. Appliances are Kitchenaid and Electrolux. The granite is Cinderella Blue, and the floors are Teragren Java (bamboo).

The size of the kitchen is about 13X21. We were very happy with the layout, so this project did not involve any dramatic changes to the walls, door openings, or other architectural changes. I built about half of the new cabinets myself, and refaced the rest of them. I also built six of the cabinet doors, then decided that it would take too long to build all the doors and drawer fronts (over 40) so I had them built professionally. Generally speaking, I did any demolition required, the design work, all the cabinet building and other woodwork, fabrication and structural work, all the staining and finishing, all electrical work, installed the tile backsplash, installed hardware (knobs and such), and did all the finish trim work (floor moldings, crown moldings).

We hired out the granite installation, the plumbing (including appliance installation), flooring and the final painting and ceiling refinishing. My wife was my design consultant, and patiently supported me through a long process of construction. We jointly picked, reviewed, agonized over and agreed on design, colors, fixtures, materials, and appliances.

I didn't find this site until well into the remodel, but got a lot of tips here on granite installation and lighting, and other miscellaneous tips and tricks. Thanks to all those who helped.

Comments (46)

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Wow! You built those cabinets yourself?!? Gorgeous job! The layout looks fantastic...well-organized with great flow. (I wish we had the space to have separate cleanup and prep areas). Your granite is stunning. It looks like art! Congratulations!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Wow! Not to take away from your gorgeous kitchen (incredible transformation) but WOW that this is a DIY kitchen created for only $28K. Wow, wow, wow!

More details, please. Who made the appliances? And do I spot a trough sink at the island? How do you use it? Does it function as you had hoped it would? Would love to see more pictures, too. (geez, I'm demanding. ;-) )

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Need more pics please of sink wall, stove wall, fridge wall, island, backsplash. More details-backsplash, sinks, faucets, etc.

Give yourselves pats on the back-great DIY job.

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

WOW! It's beautiful. But how in the heck did you manage to do all of that for 28K? My kitchen is about the same size, and the cabinets alone are costing 20K. They are Brookhaven cherry, but no pullout pantry or other expensive add ons. The new appliances and granite will cost another 20K, and I'm doing KA, not Miele or anything, with a single oven and counter microwave. Then there is still the flooring, plumbing fixtures, etc. And these prices don't include labor costs (except the granite). Care to tell me your secret?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Excellent! I really love the way the fridge surround sticks out just a little, echoing how the fridge itself sticks out just a little. That's a great little touch.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Congratulations!! As fellow DIYers, I particularly celebrate your accomplishment...The kitchen is WONderful. The fridge/microwave/desk wall is much improved with such a sleeker, more elegant look. The overall appearance is gorgeous. I'm not much into granite, especially any that could be called 'blue,' but I love yours! Just noticed the backsplash...Love that choice, too. This is really great. I would love working and living in this kitchen! ENJOY.

• jakkom
    13 years ago

Beautiful design, beautiful workmanship! I don't usually go for granite counters, but yours are wonderful. Love the floor and the pendant lights are terrific.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Great DIY redo! Granite is stunning! What is to the right of the refrig--micro? Also, it looks like you have an appliance in the island--wine cooler or ice maker? One last question (at least for now, ;)) what did you do in your blind corner? Since it looks like you have maximized your storage so well, I was just wondering.

Please share details and get your kitchen in the FKB--it has so many great ideas in it. Thanks again!!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Great job! What is that beautiful granite? All your choices merge well.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Congratulations! What an amazing transformation: all the more amazing that you did most of the work yourself.

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

plllog>>> I really love the way the fridge surround sticks out just a little, echoing how the fridge itself sticks out just a little.plllog, I can't tell you how happy it makes me that someone noticed. I built it that way for two reasons, one practical and one aesthetic. The practical reason was that even though the refrigerator is "cabinet depth", I wanted to be very sure that I had enough room. The second was that I thought it would look more visually attractive instead of being exactly even with the microwave cabinet.

doraville>>>What is that beautiful granite?Cinderella Blue. If "doraville" is Doraville, Georgia, you are about ten minutes from where we found it, at Earthtones Granite, right off of Peachtree Industrial.

http://www.earthtonesgranite.com/html/cinderella_blue.html

I'll post more pictures and info soon.

• limom_2bts
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen! At first glance I thought you had the same granite my DD just had installed...after I told her she'd have to search far and wide to find another countertop like hers! But it isn't the same...just has the same visual effect.
    Beautiful!!

Here is a link that might be useful: look-alike granite

• allison0704
    13 years ago

You did a great job! Everything looks nice.

• User
    13 years ago

That is one stunning transformation. So impressive!!! (go on and pat yourselves on the back)

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

Great transformation! Great job doing what you did with your budget - looks like you spent a whole lot more! Impressive with the DIY!!

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

Very nice. Love that granite and the work desk looks so cozy. Very warm and inviting.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Love the cabinetry and the granite! Just gorgeous!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Lovely, BUT....... More, more! Please share some more details and close ups! Inquiring minds you know!

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

What fun it is going back and forth looking at the pictures. You did such a wonderful job Vate. Just little things like replacing the door into the kitchen with one with windows opens up the space so much and putting cabinetry over the desk. Everything is so beautiful and knowing you did most of it yourself must be so rewarding. Congratulations to you and your wife. There is a few of us on GW that live pretty close to you (and Doraville):) I am on Peachtree Industrial all the time :)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Nice, nice, nice!!! Love the granite, and the rest of the kitchen looks wonderful, too!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow....that is great. Very professional looking...you both are very talented!!!

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I love your floor! You also did a very nice job with the desk. I like how it is part of the set up now and doesn't look like someone just stuck it there like it did before.
    Pretty, yet looks like a kitchen you would use. Not just for looks. Beautiful job!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Vate, beautiful transformation from an outdated kitchen to a wow kitchen! I love the maple cabinets with the the cinnamon stain that warms up the maple but keeps the cabinets not too dark. I always loved maple wood. I love your floors so much and was amazed they were bamboo. I love the overall new look that is so pretty and it amazes me that you were able to do all this for $28,000! Thanks for sharing.

• marthasunny
    13 years ago

I'm going to do tackle the kitchen myself as well. Are there any good books / websites for actual "how-to instructions" that you would recommend? For instance, I heard that installing crown molding is very tricky.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Vate,

You are a true inspriation to all. Your transformation is
    amazing. I love the granite you chose. The wood cabinets,
    the built in refrigerator (I know that must have been a
    tough project) the warm richly stained wood floors, the
    exotic granite behind the range just shows that granite
    even better and top it all off with those great light
    fixtures above. All Amazing.

And even more amazing because you did this yourself.
    thanks for sharing your pictures. I love it.
    ~boxer

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

First of all, I am not a fan of granite. But I LOVE your granite choice. It popped out at me as soon as I opened the thread. I am in awe of your talent, thrift and perseverance. Your kitchen is grand! Well done and enjoy :)

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

numbersjunkie>>>But how in the heck did you manage to do all of that for 28K?The short answer is DIY. If you look at the rough numbers below, the big savings came in the cabinets, plus thousands in savings doing work like scraping the popcorn ceiling, doing the electrical work (including the canisters (4), pendants (2), ceiling fan, and undercab lighting (6)), and structural work (had to strengthen the under-floor areas of the refrigerator and double oven). Also, tried to get the best deals on everything by shopping online and using the Sears outlet store.

High Level Costs
    $9000 Appliances: (includes $1400 for new intercom system)
    $2500 Fixtures and Accessories (sinks, disposals, lighting, etc.)
    $1700 Plumbing work (plumb the island for sink and icemaker, install dishwasher and icemaker, install sinks and disposal, pot filler)
    $5200 Countertops, including granite, fabrication and installation (~65 square feet)
    $2700 Floor (Teragren bamboo)
    $3600 Wood for cabinets (maple), cabinet doors and drawers, stains, finish, etc.
    $3100 Drywall, paint, ceiling and new door
    ==========
    $27900

Our original goal was $20K to $25K, so obviously we exceeded our budget. However, we also added some things during the process that I don't regret at all, like the desk hutch, new intercom, upgraded granite, and built in microwave/convection combo (instead of microwave only).

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Fabulous..fabulous..fabulous!!! You created a completely modern kitchen that appears to be timeless. Enjoy!!!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Really nice. The combination of the cabinetry, floors and that granite is stunning. It looks warm and elegant. I'd love to hang out and cook in that space.

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flwrs_n_co>>>What is to the right of the refrig--micro? Also, it looks like you have an appliance in the island--wine cooler or ice maker?To the right of the 'fridge is a built-in microwave/convection oven, an Electrolux Icon E30MO65GSS. It was a splurge, but it has gotten huge use as a convection oven - it heats to 400 in about 5 minutes, without having to fire up the big oven.

The appliance in the island is an icemaker - a KitchenAid. We use a lot of ice in the summer, and that wet, clear ice really is better. Another splurge, but worth every penny. OK, let me take that back, as it still chaps me that these things cost so much, but we are spoiled by it now.

marthasunny>>>I'm going to do tackle the kitchen myself as well. Are there any good books / websites for actual "how-to instructions" that you would recommend? For instance, I heard that installing crown molding is very tricky.The first thing I would tell any potential DIYers is the number of hours I spent, about 850. If I had worked that as a 9-5, 40 hour per week job, that would have been 21 weeks, or about 5 months. I am not (nor have ever been) a professional tradesman (finish carpenter or cabinet maker), so I'm not the fastest. But I'm not the slowest either. All these hours were "free time" while working a job during the week, and the work/life/home/sleep balance we all face.

Here are some books I used and would recommend:

Cabinet Refacing:
    http://www.amazon.com/Refacing-Cabinets-Making-Kitchen-Homebuilding/dp/1561581976/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276539282&sr=1-6

Building Cabinets:
    http://www.amazon.com/Building-Kitchen-Cabinets-Udo-Schmidt/dp/1561584703/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276539282&sr=1-2

There's also a book I used I can't find online, about building cabinets using pocket hole joinery. I used pocket hole joinery *a lot* during this project, using a Kreg jig. Couldn't live without it.

Crown molding is not so bad, if you have a good miter saw, and a jig to hold the wood at the spring angle while cutting. I would not take it on as a first project, however. Everything I learned about crown molding I got from a single magazine article and various online sites.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Wowzers! You did a wonderful job! It is the same footprint, but what a change! It really looks like a completely different kitchen!

I am so impressed you did ALL this for under $30K! We are DIYers, too, so I know that you saved mucho buckos being your own GC and labor force.

Really incredible! Major kudos to you!

• busybme
    13 years ago

BAM! Now that's a GREAT DIY remodel!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

What a great job - congrats. I LOVE your granite! You did a wonderful job on the cabinets. Enjoy all your hard work.

• joanr
    13 years ago

Wow that is one amazing transformation. You and your wife did an awesome job on your kitchen. I bet it is a pleasure to wake up and go into that kitchen every morning.

I do have a question regarding your island sink. What is the size of it and how do you like it. It seems quite small so was wondering if you find it hard to use.

Thanks, Joan

• doraville
    13 years ago

Doraville does live in Doraville. I went to a granite yard in the general area of yours but I think it had a different name. Love your granite choice!

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

joanr>>>I do have a question regarding your island sink. What is the size of it and how do you like it. It seems quite small so was wondering if you find it hard to use. lisa_a>>>And do I spot a trough sink at the island? How do you use it? Does it function as you had hoped it would?Here is the top of the island showing the sink:

The sink is a Kohler trough sink - it is 20" X 6", and has a disposal. The faucet is an Insinkerator hot/cold dispenser (so it dispenses boiling hot water). We use it primarily for two things: 1) hot water for tea, ramen, etc., 2) can easily sweep peeling, etc., from the island into the sink and then dispose of them. It is a bit small, but that's all the room we had, and I liked how it mirrored the rectangular shape of the island.

• doraville
    13 years ago

Are you liking the floor? It looks great. Where did you get it? I've been considering strand woven bamboo. It's nice to see it in a real setting.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Wow, beautiful kitchen, fantastic job. Truly impressive DIY work - the cabinets are just lovely, the granite is spectacular. I love the trough sink. Congratulations!

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

doraville>>>Are you liking the floor? It looks great. Where did you get it? I've been considering strand woven bamboo.The flooring is Teragren Synergy Strand bamboo, color Java. It is hard as a rock and dense, and also not too thick (1/2"). It looks great and works great. More details here:

http://www.teragren.com/products_flooring_synergy.html

We bought it, where else, in Dalton Georgia. Actually Calhoun, near Dalton, at True Hardwoods (http://www.truehardwoods.com/home.html). They had the best price by far - all I had to do was go up there and pick it up in the van.

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful--amazing transformation. I can't believe you did it for $28,000. wow!!!

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

Wow. Wow. Wow. We've done a lot of DIY on our old house, but we weren't brave enough to tackle the kitchen reno on our own. Your end results are amazing. I hope you take a well-deserved break from work and just enjoy what you've accomplished. Wow.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

A really, really wonderful job -- worth so much more in dollars and satisfaction. And it would have taken us a lot longer than 28 months. I know -- we have smaller projects that have taken us longer just to get to them. LOL Enjoy!

• vate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and compliments - it makes doing the work (and finally finishing) all the more satisfying.

Here are a few more photos as requested:

After photo from other angle:

Stovetop before and after:

Bookcase:

Refrigerator cabinet:

Backsplash:

The other side of the kitchen:

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

Amazing. Even more amazing. What an accomplishment!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Vate on a job well-done! Two years is a long time to wait though probably short in DIY years. You must be characterized by perseverance! It looks great... I still love the granite, and the pendants; the whole transformation is amazing. Enjoy!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is a "Wow. Just wow!" kitchen. Not just because of its incredibly good looks, of course, but also because you did it yourselves -- and at under 30K no less! IOW, it's fantastic. Simply fantastic! Take a bow!