Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsoleil

Blue pearl counters in need of a backsplash.

sunsoleil
10 years ago

I keep adding to my tile sample collection in hopes of finding the right backsplash. I find that all of the tiles are lovely, but are overpowering since the granite is lovely in itself. It does look too plain with just paint. I was looking at these two choices recently.
www.glasstilestore.com/loft-super-white-big-brick-7-8x4-glass-tiles.html
www.glasstilestore.com/white-carrera-3-4-x-4-big-brick-pattern-marble-mosaic-tiles-white-carrerabigbrickpattern.html
Any suggestions or photos would be much appreciate.
My cabinets are custom natural cherry which have darkened to a medium tone.
Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by annalyn123 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:57

Comments (49)

• weissman
    10 years ago

I have blue pearl tiles for my backsplash. You can see pictures in the Finished Kitchens Blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would probably do a simple ceramic tile but look at something like Daltile Ice Gray, Desert Gray or Suede Gray to avoid something too white.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Weissman, what a beautiful kitchen! I like the idea of using the granite as a backsplash, but DH prefers tile. He preferred a different granite, so I thought this would be a good place to compromise. The woman in the tile store said a carrara subway would be classic, but I thought the beauty of the stones would compete. I am leaning toward the white glass for the contrast, but maybe too stark?

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I'm in the planning process of a kitchen remodel and I've picked blue pearl granite for the countertops and now I'm completely stuck on the backsplash as well. So please let us know what you come up with.

I will have natural maple cabinets. I've been considering something gray, but I'm not sure if I also want some sort of line or decoration tile mixed in. I have to pick everything up front so I can't wait until the countertops are installed. It's so hard trying to pick something when I can't see what it will look like.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a beautiful countertop, but I have scoured for hours over the internet to see finished photos of backsplashes. Gray was my first thought, but when I have purchased samples, I haven't liked the look. I could start my own tile store with the number of samples I have purchased! I think I need to find something pretty neutral since the countertop makes a lovely statement in itself. I am now waiting for a sample of white 1 x 4 glass tile. My husband likes the 1 x 4 carrera, but I don't think I want two stones together.

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

My kitchen designer has suggested a gray background with 2 stripes of blue, light blue, and gray glass 1x2 tiles mixed in. I'm worried it's going to be too busy.

I've been looking for pics too - I started a pinterest board so I could go back and look at them. I'm still adding. Feel free to take a look. Unfortunately, I don't love any of them.

What kind of sink do you have? I'm considering a silgranit, but I'm not sure about the color of it. Metallic Gray seems too light. Anthracite might be too dark. I haven't seen a sample of Cinder yet since it's new. So I still have that decision to make as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Board

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a Kohler stainless undermount sink. It has a large bowl with the smaller disposal bowl on the side. I am very happy with the sink and looks good with all my appliances (Kitchenaid Architect Series) and the silver in the granite.
    I had a few of the same photos saved! I found it helpful to buy the samples so I can keep them and compare. I also don't live near any large kitchen or tile showrooms.
    The woman that sold us the granite had the blue pearl in her home. She bought blue pearl granite tiles and had them cut in 6 x 6 squares and installed them diagonally. My husband thinks this would make the kitchen too dark.
    It seems that everything that has any design seems too busy when I put it up next to the counter.

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I agree that having blue pearl as the backsplash as well would be too dark. It's nice to have a contrast. I like many of the white toned ones, but with natural maple cabinets, I'm not sure it would work for me. That's why I'm still looking at gray.

I haven't really bothered with samples because I don't have the countertops installed yet. The kitchen place I'm using has lots of samples, plus they have a blue pearl countertop in their showroom so I can look at that.

I kind of like this backsplash that I found when I was looking at sink pictures. I'm not sure what tile it is and if it comes in other colors and sizes. It might be too busy though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash I like

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

annalyn123 - Have you seen the Sonoma Stellar Crackle Tiles? They come in lots of sizes, including 3x6 and 4x8. You could do an off-white and with the texture the crackle adds, I don't think it would be too stark. Plus you could get a subway tile look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Stellar Crackle Tile

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I have blue pearl and agonized over the backsplash. I wanted white (my cabs are white) because the paint was going to be navy blue and I wanted to lighten up the kitchen. But the white alone didn't seem to "match" to me. So we had our tile guy cut small (I think 1x1) squares to put as diamonds in with our white tiles. I love how it brings it all together. And it's EASY to clean - just wipe off with the dishrag.

Here's a picture in progress. I'll post a completed picture next.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

Completed except for switchplates.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Super pretty, Deb!
    I'm loving a sample of oyster bay marble by Speartek, it was in my GC's showroom. I'm taking it to visit the blue granite (bros blue, not pearl..but similar, I think) tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: oyster bay marble

• shelayne
    10 years ago

We have blue pearl, and I just did white subway with a decorative chair rail accent on top. The "baking area" has a partial splash. I really like the look. It is all white, but with a little bit of decorative detail.

These pics are a little older; it wasn't completely finished, and the countertop accessories have changed since then, but you get the general idea. :)

This is the sink wall/corner of cooktop wall (before it was caulked):

This is the baking center wall (before the cab doors were installed):

I wish I could get those blue stones in the granite to photograph better, but in person it is so pretty--as you already know. :)

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

deb52899 & shelayne - both very nice kitchens and backsplashes! The more I see white, the more I like it. I just have to figure out a way to dress it up a bit. My kitchen will be a bit more modern with natural maple cabinets and bamboo floors so I've been looking at glass tiles.

deb52899- what kind of sink is that? Do you like it?

annalyn123- I brought home a variety of gray tiles and I'm beginning to think that gray really doesn't bring out the sparkle of the granite ... I think that's why I haven't really liked any of them. I've also been mostly looking at tile with a matte finish, but both of these backsplashes have glossy finishes. I would have thought it would make it all too shiny, but it really seems to work. I'm leaning more towards a white glass or a light cream crackle ceramic tile.

I'll add a link to my favorite backsplash I've seen. Of course the colors wouldn't work. My designer has also scared me about about glass - she thinks it's hard to keep it looking clean. I guess that's why I'm also considering a ceramic crackle tile with a glass stripe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash with Glass

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

Maybe what you want is textural interest and not color variation in your glass backsplash. Like shelayne kept her tiles all the same color but added shape and texture for interest.

There are options with glass tile that will give you textural contrast, either in the surface of the tile or in the quality of the gloss on the tile - for example, you could choose some glass tiles in a matte finish and the rest in a glossy finish. Or some with an opalescent sheen.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That so much for posting photos of your beautiful kitchens! The white tiles in both your kitchens look wonderful with the granite. I am leaning more towards white and may consider ceramic subway if I can find the right trim. I guess I have more samples to order:)
    Lisa, when I first starting looking at tiles, I thought I wanted a blue/grey glass, but it just doesn't seem to enhance the beauty of the granite.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Here is an idea. Try a frosted white glass tile. We did this in our kitchen with just a few blue tiles inserted and it came out great. It goes well in our more modernish kitchen. Checkout my kitchen stadium thread for more info and pic links.
    I also have blue granite in a sink downstairs and love it. I think a pure white with blue flecks of something might work, but I agree with you about glass being a good choice if the kitchen is more modern.

Here is a link that might be useful: ktichen stadium

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

annalyn123- Are you going to go pure white or add some color in?

I looked again at one of your original ideas (link below) and I think that would look very pretty just plain. There are some sample pictures on that link and one has darkish cabinets. It looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.glasstilestore.com/loft-super-white-big-brick-7-8x4-glass-tiles.html

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, I think I might want to stay pure white. I actually just received a full sheet of that tile from a different source since the glasstilestore was on backorder for a while. I liked that photo also. That is my daughter's first choice. My DH still likes the 1 x 4 carrera strip and that looks pretty nice in the photo in the first link, but may be a bit too busy. I love the marble in Sharonite's kitchen. I live in MA where she got the tiles, but it is quite a distance. I may take a drive since we don't have large showrooms in my area.
    The ceramic subway is gorgeous with the blue pearl, but it may be too traditional for my kitchen. My cabinets are traditional, so I was hoping to go a bit more modern with the backsplash.

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

I am thinking of using blue pearl in my kitchen which will be trashed tomorrow. deb, I still love your kitchen. My daughter and I closed Hamilton Parker on Saturday looking at tiles. Why can't they stay open longer on Saturday? :-(. Anyway, we are looking at using the Sonoma mosaic tiles for a bit of sparkle and possibly a matte off white ceramic. I am definitely using two horse murals over the sink and range top. I am having a hard time deciding on the "frame" around them.

I have looked at marble, but would want to look at every piece to pick the plainest ones. I have considered Cambria Torquay marble lookalike.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Wednesday, I get to look at exterior doors. How does a Dutch door sound?

Karen

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

Lisa - sorry for the late response. My DD had her baby and I was mostly off the computer all last week! My sink is a Blanco white silgranit. I love it. I wanted to keep my old Kohler cast iron (white), but my contractor talked me into the silgranit and I'm so glad we got it.

Shelayne - I love the decorative chair rail in your backsplash! Very beautiful!

Anna - be sure to let us know your decision!

Thanks again Karen :)

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Must be the time for grand kids. My daughter had a baby on my birthday, June 12. My architect's daughter had a baby yesterday, and Deb's a Grandma!

Definitely going to try to get a Dutch door. Happy 4th!

Karen

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Congrats on the grandbabies! Aren't they just the best?

Shelayne I am just in love with the look of your backsplash and the decorative rail. I am taking this to my tile guy so we can do something similar. I had already decided on crackle subway tiles, when I saw your lovely tile with the decorative rail I knew that's what I wanted to do. Thank you so much for the pics of your lovely kitchen!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Awww, Holly-kay, thank you for you kind words. :)

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My family is losing patience since I currently have nine samples taped to my backsplash:) Each will give an entirely different look to the kitchen. Tiles in the forefront are carrera strip tiles and white glass (subway or 1 x 4). I continue to look at photos and found this one of a Bellavita tile. Would it be too dark with medium toned cherry cabinet or too "matchy, matchy" since it contains strips of blue pearl granite?

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I like that backsplash with the blue pearl with your white cabinets to brighten things up.

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Annalyn,

My impression of your last post with the backsplash is very cool, but with cherry, it might be too dark. If you like that design, maybe you could incorporate a bit of it into the design, like Deb did with her diamonds of Blue Pearl.

My taste leans to the traditional and I would probably grow tired of this backsplash, besides, I am not a grout lover.

Karen

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I think the backsplash looks cool, but it's pretty busy. It might also be too dark. Maybe you could just put it behind the range/cooktop if you really like it and pair it with a lighter gray for the rest of the kitchen. It could also be used as a stripe with a lighter field tile.

I'm still struggling with mine and I have a deadline of Thursday. I found some glass tiles from Interstyle I really like. I was going to go with a stripe for some interest, but I have a 5" partial wall by the dining room and the stripe would be cut in half there or disappear completely. So now I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate some color in more of a pattern. But without too much grout or cutting of tiles. I'm not sure how to upload photos so I've included a link to a photo album with some patterns I've tried. It's to scale for one of my larger sections - 18" high by 6' long. The field tiles would be 2"x10"s in the Rain Cloud (light gray) color. Most of the smaller tiles would be the dark gray. Depending on the pattern they are either 1"x4" or 1"x2". Then I want to insert some purple or blue ones for some color. I'm still not sure which.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash Ideas

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, I really liked the double 2x10 pattern. It gives a nice contemporary look. It also minimizes the number of color tiles, enabling each to have more of a "pop", especially if you are using the purple. You are certainly moving right along. Let us know what you decide on.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I like the 2x8 pattern too! I'm not crazy about the amethyst with the blue pearl, but that's just me. The pattern is pretty!

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I still haven't finalized my backsplash. The designer vetoed the previous plan (I guess she thought it was too hard to lay the tile.) So now I'm down to a custom mesh or a subway tile with a stripe. I'm currently waiting on pricing. It's been getting frustrating.

I like the custom mesh, but I'm afraid it's going to be out of my budget. I'm afraid the stripe won't work as well in my kitchen - 1 doorway, 1 open counter, refrigerator, 1 large garden window, plus the area behind the range will all be breaks. So I will have 4 separate sections of tile with the stripe. I've included a link to an album with pictures. I'm still looking for a wow factor and my kitchen is definitely going to be contemporary with natural maple cabinets and blue pearl granite.

I also gave up on the purple, so now I'm looking at a blue accent color which probably goes better with the granite.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to get color in without an actual stripe, I'd love to hear it. I've also learned how difficult it is to cut glass tile, so I'm trying to figure out ways to minimize cuts. With the layout of my kitchen it's proving to be difficult.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latest Backsplash Ideas

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, I really liked the original link you provided. It is very rich and subtle, while still providing you with some color. Sometimes, less is more.
    http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?prodId=250240

• weissman
    10 years ago

Your "designer vetoed the previous plan" ?!? It's YOUR kitchen - the designer can make suggestions but doesn't get to veto anything. Go with what you like.

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

It was really vetoed because she told me that the 1/2" x 4" tiles might not line up well because they're so small and it wasn't going to be on mesh. She also indicated that the cost was going to be higher than a custom mesh. I don't have any tile laying experience, so I feel like I have to go with her experience.

It would drive me crazy if there were crooked tiles, so I didn't want to take that chance.

I'm worried about it getting too busy, but I definitely want some color.

annalynn - I still love that picture, but I was never able to find glass tile in the right size for the stripe. The closest I've found is this ice stix stuff from Interstyle. It will come on mesh in that arrangement, but it's all the same color. Some tiles are glossy, some are matte, and some are iridescent. It is very pretty. Because there isn't enough contrast with the gray I've chosen for the field tile, the designer suggested I line the stripe. I agree with her on that one. I'm just worried the stripe won't add enough color.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, I see so much color in the Interstyle stripe. It is beautiful!

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

Annalynn - It is really beautiful, but I just found out how expensive it is. :( Are you getting any closer to your decision? I seem to remember you've liked glass as well.

It turns out that if I want all glass, I'll be able to do a subway pattern with nothing fancy. If I want a stripe, then I have to go with a ceramic field tile.

I really like how glass looks with the blue pearl. As for size - I think 2x8 is interesting ... a little less traditional than 3x6. Now I just have to decide color ... rain cloud or blue-gray. I will have natural maple cabinets so I'm leaning towards the blue. It will be a little on the dark side, but white grout should help lighten it up some.

Is blue too much?

Thanks,
    Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Colors

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lisa, after going "backsplash crazy" (I believe it is a syndrome that truly exists:), I made a decision with random white glass. It has some nice large 2 x 12 pieces in it. I really wanted a blue/gray, but my husband thought it would be too dark. Since he didn't want glass, I thought I would compromise and I could add color in accessories. I was disappointed since I would have been able to pick up Ann Sacks gray subway glass with a hint of blue for a song that since it was an order error. So...this is what we ended up with. It reflects light gray since the counter is dark. Keep that in mind when you are making your decision. I assume your counter has not been installed yet. You might want to wait and bring the samples in your house and place them right on your wall.

• karen_ohio
    10 years ago

Lisa,

I saw your post about the tile colors, but can't find it here, probably too early in the a.m. Anyway, I like the blue, but I think the gray is too dark; however, I do like the soft gray next to it. Did you look at the lighter blue tiles? Too blue, maybe?

Karen

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

Annalynn - I love tile like that ... and I think you have cherry cabinets so I'm sure the white looks beautiful. My mom is also looking for a backsplash and she likes the patterns like that if you don't mind sharing the manufacturer. She probably needs a cream color.

I'm using a kitchen place that plans everything up front so the actual project is completed in 2.5-3 weeks. So, unfortunately I have to decide everything now. I've seen lots of different options online so I have an idea, but I know it all looks different in your house. I love glass so much more than ceramic (especially with the blue pearl), so I really want to go in that direction.

Karen - I'll include the link with the colors again. I have samples at home of the slate gray (too dark), rain cloud (very pretty, but I think I want a little more color), soft blue (a little too pastel for me), soft gray (too close to white), and blue-gray. I really like the color of the blue-gray, but I'm worried it's a little on the dark side. I'm lucky in that my kitchen gets a ton of natural light so with the light cabinets, I feel like it's okay to go a little darker on the backsplash. My current kitchen has a drab beige backsplash and I'd prefer something a little more interesting. I'm at the point where it's the only thing hanging me up and they won't put me on the schedule until I pick something, so I guess it's decision time.

Annalynn - is yours installed yet? It would be awesome to see a picture!

Thanks,
    Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.interstyle.ca/products/glasstyle/glasstyle-colors.html

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, I feel your pain:) What does your designer think? My untrained eye thinks the depth and shade of the blue-gray is very rich looking. I would have loved that, but I had to compromise with someone that really wanted carrera. I love the look glass and the practicality of keeping it clean. I agree that you don't want a pastel and the blue-gray will highlight your cabinets better than a plain gray. Again, I am an untrained eye, just someone that has looked at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of kitchens on houzz!
    I bought my tile at glasstilestore and it is called Tuscany. The online store is great--you get 5 large samples for 5.00 and they ship right away. I ordered full sheets of my "finalists." I have the tiles which arrived in perfect condition (I inspected each one), but I just found out my installer had a little medical procedure. I am willing to wait for him since he is a perfectionist and I notice everything!

This post was edited by annalyn123 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 12:28

• Sarina
    10 years ago

What did you all pick for the blue pearl? I did off creamy white with a crackle on the inserts . I did that 9 years ago sold the house recently and will be looking for a backsplash again this time to go with Giallo Ornamental . I wanted to do the Blue Pearl again in new place but the kitchen does not get a lot of natural light and the floor color did not turn out as we had wanted since it is a semi custom tract builder we had to pick from their tiles. Post pics of what you did with the Pearl girls : ) I love yours Shelayne . What tiles are they and do you know if they come in a light tan color?

• Sarina
    10 years ago

Here is a closer up picture of the splash I wanted you to see it both with cab color then closer .

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sarina,
    What a pretty kitchen you are leaving! Can't wait to see photos of your new kitchen. I am sure you will love it!

I love my blue pearl, especially because it is so carefree. I used white glass tiles, but they look blue/gray because they reflect off the granite. They are so much prettier in person. I am sealing the backsplash this week, so I did put anything back yet. I need to take new photos.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

That looks very nice :) Love the color hint of gray but not dark . You did a good job :) I will miss that kitchen for sure . That is why I also loved the blue pearl so bullet proof and easy to take care of ! It also just is so stunning I had like I said 9 years and never tired of it .

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

Annalynn-

I love what you picked - that really looks great! I finally decided to go with a blue glass tile. it's called blue-grey so it does have some gray in it. Budget-wise I found I could only go with a solid color instead of the patterns or stripes I was considering. My kitchen remodel doesn't start until November, so I have no pictures yet. I'll have light maple cabinets so I wanted a bit of color which is why I chose the blue over the gray that I had been considering. The blue looks really great with the cabinet color. If I'd had cherry, I definitely think I would have gone in the same direction you did. I really like the varying tile sizes too.

I'm sure you're thrilled to be almost done.

Lisa

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa,
    I had another post describing the problem I had that could have been a disaster of the glass installation. Please make sure your tile installer is familiar with glass and uses the correct thinset and grout. Can't wait to see your photos!

• Amelia Cook
    7 years ago

sunsoleil, what was the name and brand of the tile you ended up using? A really like the way it looks in the photo you posted, and we are currently on the hunt for a backsplash tile to go with our blue pearl granite counters and white cabinets!

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is the tile we used. It is white, but looks like a pale blue/gray after it was installed. I wish my DH would agree to painting our cabinets white.:) The tile and counter would look even better!

http://tilebar.com/spa-tuscany-pattern-super-white-glass-tile.html