Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie1973_gw

Range hood - stainless or in cabinetry?

julie1973
9 years ago

Hi. I am still in the planning phase and am choosing all my finishes and appliances for my kitchen remodel to begin in august. I plan on having white cabinetry, white marble perimeter, walnut center island and wolf 48" range. Kitchen will be u shaped with range centered at the bottom of the u and the center island running perpendicular down the center. I am torn between having the wolf undercounter pro range hood in stainless, or having a custom hood built into the cabinetry, maybe mantle style. I like both looks and slightly prefer the cabinetry option but wonder if the white cabinetry would show grease, dirt, etc. I seem to always be wiping my current stainless range hood and wonder what that grime would look like on white cabinetry. Or is this not even an issue with the proper range hood size, cfm, etc. would love to hear what you all think of any pros/cons of either, plus aesthetics - which would look better?

Comments (6)

• amck2
    9 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with either option, but if it were for me to choose I would go with the stainless pro hood. Your finish choices read very classic to me and a stainless hood will never (IMO) date your kitchen.

From my experience researching for my remodel, custom mantel hoods are quite expensive. If cost is no object that may not matter. I took it into account to stay on track with my budget. That, and also a concern about how cleaning would affect the finish over time, as I am also going with white cabinets.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Amck said it perfectly. There are also some "statement" hoods available in stainless steel if you want something dramatic. I like them much better than the somewhat stodgy (IMHO, sorry!) cabinetry hoods. Check out the beautiful Modernaire (or Modern-Aire?) hoods - several on the Kitchens Forum. Or you could do something custom - I just saw an episode of This Old House with a lovely kitchen and a custom hood. I am linking below - it is episode 26, then click on Scene Selection 8.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Episode 26, Scene Selection 8

• eleena
    9 years ago

I chose stainless because custom hoods were much more expensive. But if price had not been a consideration, I would have chosen to "hide" the hood.

I don't think that a big chunk of SS looks all that great - except in a pro-style kitchen - and yours doesn't sound like it (with white marble and all).

I also think that SS fatigue is a real factor. I was in love with SS before anyone else (well, almost anyone :-) ) and searched high and low as only few things were available in SS at that time. But now I am really tired of it. I used it very sparingly in my remodel, only where it was dictated by function, so to speak.

BTW, do you have to have all cabinetry white? Two-toned has gained popularity lately.

I am not saying you need to go with this trend, just that it is worth considering as it could come handy.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I found the Modern-Aire website, and I am linking below to their photo gallery. Lots of gorgeous hoods of all kinds of finishes and styles to look at and ponder!

About your comment about your current hood and having to wipe grease off - You are right, with proper sizing, etc. you should not have that problem. Please remember to look at your current exhaust duct diameter size and make it larger if needed - it should be 8" or 10" diameter. With a duct too small, you cannot exhaust well, no matter what hood you buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern-Aire photo gallery

This post was edited by akchicago on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:45

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Some people have done DIY hoods that are tile, stucco, or another treated metal (zinc, copper, etc). You can DIY with a good blower for the same price as a Wolf hood.

Here's a custom version of alternative metal treatments -- however these can be pricey. Houzz example: .

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Edina Design-Build Firms Great Neighborhood Homes

Stucco -- can be ready made (Imperial, others) or DIY/carpenter built

[Mediterranean Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2109) by El Paso Architects & Building Designers CGN Designs LLC

Another option is to have powder coat metal. You could go white with metal accents. I matched mine to the counters because I wanted to cut down on the SS -- I could have gone white. Here's one on Houzz with straps -- the can be expensive, but generally as long as you don't go crazy with the straps you can keep the cost in line with a Wolf chimney hood.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Smyrna General Contractors Brookside Custom Homes, LLC.

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the helpful responses! I am going to go back through to look at all of your great suggestions, but to answer a few questions - yes - cost is a concern. We chose to splurge on the appliances, and are trying to be cost conscious with everything else. I was thinking that cost may be the same after getting a pro style hood and also the cabinet above it (I don't like the chimney style stainless hood for this kitchen). I am not certain of this though.

Eleena - I was actually originally going to do a stained wood cabinetry for the center island with white on the perimeters but I recently changed that because I wanted to have a surface that wasn't marble and I liked the idea of the walnut countertop - which I think looks best with the white cabinets. And I prefer to have either contrasting counters or contrasting counters but not both. Regarding SS fatigue - I totally agree. I am going to get a panel for my dishwashers and the fridge will have glass on the door so reduce the amount of stainless.
    Gooster - I love that first houzz pic! I'm going to check that out to see what it is! Thanks!
    Akchicago - thanks so much for the links. I'll definitely be looking through those when I'm not sleeping tonight!