Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurencp_gw

Did you second guess your backsplash choice??

laurencp
9 years ago

during the 5 week wait for the tile to be delivered?? Hopefully the tile will ship this Friday, but during this wait I have looked at other photos, and the tileless backsplash area in the kitchen and wonder if I made the right choice. Now I am finding that I can't even remember the exact shade of the tile! All of my other choices I did the same - started with what I loved and then went full circle changing my mind and exploring, but always coming back to the first choice. I'm hoping this to be the case here.

Has anyone else found themselves doing this during the wait??

Comments (10)

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Many times have I analyzed and thought about so many options and then found myself coming back to one over and over (though not always the first one). That is when I knew that was the one. IMO, that is why extensive planning is so important. You really think through your decisions. Nothing like later on thinking of another option and then realizing because you were so thorough, you had already thought of that option and didn't choose it for a particular reason (and I usually remember at that point, why not). Of course, there are so many decisions that don't make a huge differnce. But I like having the peace of mind that comes with planning. Others may differ. Sounds like you did your planning - I'm sure it will be lovely.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

Don't beat yourself up, we all do it. We are in the middle of a new build and not everyone understands how hard the decisions are as they are expensive and hard to change. I kind of compare it to picking your wedding gown lol. Once you pick it, don't look at other options because you will always find something else you like and question yourself if you should have done this or that. It's very difficult because there are so many nice things out there and we can only pick one!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Not at all. I had a sample of my cabinet wood and of my granite and brought home only one sample of tile. I knew it was definitely what I wanted and I ordered it before anything else because I did not want to take a chance on it being discontinued. So I had my tile weeks before my kitchen was even demo'd.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Totally. We went through mosaics, subways and other shapes, glass, ceramic, stainless and other materials, finally settling on a small rectangular shape Fireclay crackle tile (now installed and looking great!)

• laurencp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. All of the photos I have seen of Encore backsplashes have been beautiful - hoping that will be my result.

Just ready to pull it all together - now!

Badgergal - you were brave!

sjhockeyfan - Bruins territory here! I love your Fireclay backsplash!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I still second guess it:)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I still second guess it:)

Not me - I just look at it and admire it :-)

• ruthie51
    9 years ago

I did second guess our backsplash choice in our new home and ended up not being happy with the finished product. We lived with it for 3 years and then changed it (not fun...the contractor had to remove all the sheetrock because he couldn't get the tile off the wall). But I'm happier now. I will say, however, that I also second guessed our replacement backsplash, but that's my nature. I'm going through that now with a new couch that will be delivered tomorrow :-( .

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I will say, however, that I also second guessed our replacement backsplash, but that's my nature. I'm going through that now with a new couch that will be delivered tomorrow :-(

We just got our new sectional (after waiting 6 months for delivery). Fortunately, we love it. We second and third-guess everything by our nature UNTIL we order it. The only thing so far that we've second-guessed AFTER buying is the dining room chairs, and I'm going to sell them and get something else. Bev, if you're reading this, you were right!

• homeimprovementmom
    9 years ago

don't be afraid to change. I first chose Cambria counter tops and yes, they are lovely and I really did not want granite BUT now I wish I had put in honed marble...):. It's the one thing I would change. I was afraid to tell everyone - I didn't really like it once it went in. so if you have time, change!