Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown_mary

Chinese Quartz

chitown_mary
9 years ago

Yesterday I visited a kitchen and bath showroom, where I fell in love with a marble-like quartz from a company called Polar Stone. (the style is "Ibiza"). When I researched the company online, it appears that they are from China. (!)

I've read enough to know that I need to walk...no, run...away from this, but I LOVE the look. It's so natural looking and has that great veining that I wanted. I am so disappointed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute from a reputable manufacturer: Silestone, Caesarstone, Cambria, etc.?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Look at Viatera Rococo or Difinti Viareggio.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Can you get a sample? Is the dealer offering a warranty? It looks a lot less fake than most.

China is capable of producing world class stuff as well as dollar store fillers.

Of course there's more to consider than just quality...but no need to assume it's bad quality just yet.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    9 years ago

Fori is right-but whether produced here or in china testing is a good idea.
    If you do get to the testing stage-test for scratch,stain nd etch resistance.
    I have worked on Chinese engineered marble which did etch. Yes engineered marble it scratched and etched but very easy to repair.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

playing_hookie:

I'm wondering why you are running from this particular engineered stone. Just because it's manufactured in China?

• chispa
    9 years ago

I make a conscious decision not to buy Chinese made goods if possible. I am going through a master bath remodel and have tried to buy USA made and I am willing to pay more for that choice. My faucets and most of my tile were made right here in CA.

I also try to buy from and support local businesses. We have a small local lighting store that has better pricing than any on line sites.

• chitown_mary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Treruchet: I've only done a tiny bit of research, so I'm grateful to get the perspective of people here on Gardenweb.

I read that quartz from China could contain a significantly higher amount of resin (and possibly a percentage of "unidentified" materials). I also did a search on NSF.org for this company (and the other name that they appear to go by: Foshan Monica Quartz) and got null results. In comparison, I got results for every other manufacturer I've seen mentioned on this and other home-related sites. I figured if it wasnt showing up there, maybe they are not legit.

Still love that quartz though.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

They exhibit at the trade shows and have been around since 2008. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I spoke to the warehouse manager at Pental about this. They sell Caesarstone and Vicostone, made in Vietnam. Granite companies buy Vicostone and rename it with their brand, so theirs is called Pentalquartz. He told me they would not buy the Chinese quartz because they don't use Breton technology and took shortcuts in the manufacture, one of which is shortened curing times.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

"I'm wondering why you are running from this particular engineered stone. Just because it's manufactured in China?"

Is that not a good enough reason?

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I think I agree with may_flowers on this. If it isn't manufactured on the expensive Breton technology, it's quality is suspect. This came up a while ago for another quartz that didn't happen to be Chinese. The answer was the same - alternate manufacturing processes have been problematic at best.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

That looks a bit like QuartzMaster "white arabascato"

• browniepie
    9 years ago

Here are some LG, supposedly new-ish, quartz options that we came across when hunting for Caesarstone.

LG Minuet

• browniepie
    9 years ago

And LG Rococo