Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which comes first? Lighting or backsplash?

Posted by Violet.West (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 12:08

I plan to install a nice backsplash in my kitchen . . . some day. I also need under cabinet lighting.

Should I wait until I install the backsplash to do the lighting? I'm afraid if I do the lighting first it will make the backsplash installation more difficult or something.

I'm real new to this home improvement stuff, so please excuse my ignorant questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which comes first? Lighting or backsplash?

I think lighting comes first. It doesn't take up a lot of space, so you should be able to do the BS later. Lots of people are ABB (all but backsplash) for a long time.

o

lol! thanks for the response.

I guess the reason I'm reluctant to do the backsplash now is I keep thinking I want to replace the stupid non-vented stove/microwave set up I have in there. If I'm going to tear things apart to put a real hood in there, I think I should wait.

o

Violet.West, two of the many wonderful things about GardenWeb are that almost ANY question you ask will get thoughtful responses, and you can bet that there will be other people out there who read your question and think "Yeah! I've wondered about that too!!" - so you're also performing a service for others by asking!

And, although we're still planning our kitchen, my impression is same as Ginny20's: under-cabinet lighting is very often done before backsplash.

o

I'm almost done with our kitchen remodel. My GC is putting up the lighting before the backsplash in case he has to adjust the placement of the wires coming out of the wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here