Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

A cautionary tale about strawberries on granite

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

I tested my granite with all the usual suspects in my house -- choc syrup, olive oil, lemon juice, tomatoes, ketchup -- and it passed with flying colors. Then I left a pint of strawberries on the granite too long and the strawberry juice sunk into the granite. I've scrubbed and scrubbed but it's not going away. The good news is that it was a leftover piece that the fabricator had fashioned into a trivet/lazy susan.

Is there any poultice that can be made to draw out strawberry juice?

Any other potential granite wreckers? I'm naturally pretty cautious about food prep on counters -- lots of cutting boards everywhere -- but my kids are not.

Comments (7)

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

You can poultice an organic stain with beauty shop strength hydrogen peroxide and diatomaceous earth or any other poultice base (talc, flour or even white paper towels)

Be sure to reseal the stone once you have poulticed out the stain.

• quandries
    15 years ago

I am new here, but I have been admiring your granite for three days. My heart almost stopped when I read your subject - I thought your gorgeous counter was stained!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I know someone that had an overnight salad dsg stain on a light granite. Not sure what but it was poulticed overnight and the stain was gone. They then sealed and never had a problem since.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

And, the only thing that has etched my lovely marble too.

Luckly, it's just two very small spots, no one else can see them, but I was rinsing and stemming a huge box of them and two really small bits flew out of the sink with the rinse and sat on the marble for a few minutes without me noticing.

However, a wise man who installs granite and marble and I had called him about a marble job he had done in a magazine , told me that strawberries, in or out of the box - because the boxes always have holes, are the worst thing to leave on your stone countertops!

If you get it on your counter, remember to blot, don't wipe, clean right away with pH neutral cleaner/sealer so it doesn't keep going and then re-seal.

• stonegirl
    15 years ago

Salad dressing would be an oil stain - quite different from a juice, tea, wine or other organic stain. You will need to poultice oil stains with a solvent like acetone.

It is important you know the origin of the stain, since the wrong poultice could just as eaily set a stain and make your problem worse.

The good news is, that if treated in time and correctly, most any stain could be removed successfully.

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stonegirl (and any other experts following this thread), now I have lots of questions.
    1. How much hydrogen peroxide and how much other stuff?
    2. My granite fab'r recommended sealing every year with a product called 5-10 or 511 available at HD. Your comments? This is azul macaubas, a quartzite type, and (if you haven't already picked up from my screen name), my pride & joy.
    3. Now I want the faqs on daily/weekly/etc maintenance, if you can provide me with a link. I'm always a little skeptical of new and improved, pricey products (e.g., why buy Bisquick when you can just add baking powder and such to ordinary flour?) so I don't know if I should be buying Granite Gold and similar. I usually prefer the low tech and environmentally gentle/less chemical method of doing anything. OTOH, that granite is my pride & joy. Have I mentioned that I love it?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County