Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

3 YRS later and it's time for a Backsplash

loves2cook4six
11 years ago

Our kitchen has been finished for almost 4 years and we still don't have a backsplash.

We have a tiler coming in for bathroom work and dh has agreed to have him put in a backsplash.

Please help me pick something. Obviously if I could have done this we'd already have one - lol

The cabinets are just such a focal point that we cant have a distracting backslpash.

Only requirement is that it is not dark.

here's my kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

how much space do you have between your counters and upper cabs? 9x18 laser cut glass tiles installed vertically.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass tile

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

18 1/4 inches so I don't think that would work

• bahacca
    11 years ago

SUPER fun cabinets! Maybe just plain white porcelin square tile with square glass in coordinating colors with the cabinets-so browns?

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bahacca - sounds great. Can you provide a link or inspirational pic?

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

Bringing in the checkerboard pattern as bahacca suggested would be fun, or maybe a bronze glass or stainless in the same finish as your bar brackets.
    Good luck!

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys

Please could you post inspirational pics or links. I am completely challenged when it comes to backsplashes.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

What cool cabinets! I can see why you're having difficulty, though. What's that thing florantha's always saying about kitchens and clowns? With the cabinets already such a stunning focal point, I think the backsplash should be pretty uniform. I like the idea of it as a solid color, but kind of glowing subtly in the background.

Are you set on tile? Wilsonart has metallic sheet laminate that could be cool. Here's a pic of alumnasteel:

You have both squares and vertical rectangles in your cabinetry. Subway tiles are easy to find right now; I'm not crazy about them horizontally for your space, but vertically would play on the existing vertical rectangles. White, almond or beige might work...even pale green if you want a pop of color (I think we'd need to see more of your space to make a better color recommendation). The Blanco glass subway tile in the pic below seems to glow in the under cab lights.

Or...perhaps you don't need a backsplash because whatever you put in risks competing with the cabs. Wasn't there a thread recently on when a backsplash isn't necessary?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I don't feel so bad -
    We might have to start an ABBS thread for the longest time from finish to install (All but back splash) LOL
    What a a fun kitchen!
    I will have to hunt for some other pictures.
    Based on how much is on your countertops - placing a low accent would be wasted.
    I have to think (remember I am in the ABBS club also) -
    I do like the look of the vertical tiles in your kitchen - if you are thinking glass - check out Glazier glass - you can get any color you want! (any SW or BM)
    I am thinking vertical - but maybe longer and thinner than standard subway.
    I will be watching!
    Thanks for sharing your kitchen!!

• cmm1
    11 years ago

This is not a suggestion but a question. Your kitchen is amazing. What granite did you use?
    Thanks

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Loves2cook: I have always loved your kitchen!

I think the vertical glass subways in the right tone might be fantastic. I would love to see a little repeat of your cab checkerboard pattern in a row or two strategically placed, with two different tones, but it might not work with the subway size as well as 4x4 since your checkerboard is square. Don't know.

Glass seems right though. Ceramic, unless perfectly flat, could gooshy up your kitchen too much. Metal would also look good. I think whatever you choose it needs to be flat with small grout lines, no wavy edges (unless as a single design element, but not on individual tiles).

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cmm1 the granite is Marona Cohiba. If you decide to go with it, before you buy your slabs, have them lay them out on trestles so they are horizontal. They look completely different at that angle from stacked in a warehouse.

Jessica we need a backsplash because the counters were not scribed to the walls as we anticipated a backsplash. We now have "issues" where the walls and counter meet, so a backsplash has become a necessity.

I think I like the look of the glass tile.

Please keep ideas, and inspiration pics/links coming.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I like this because it ties in the metal appliances and accents. It is monochromatic so the simple pattern should not take over. The check board look is from alternating the grain of the finish.

• pawa
    11 years ago

just wanted to say that I LOVE your kitchen love2cook!

Have you thought about really big tiles?

• BethGardens
    11 years ago

The best way to choose your backsplash is to first decide what part of your kitchen do you want to have the most attention. Usually, people want the backsplash to accent their countertops -- still look great, but not be the showstopper compared to the countertops. Choosing a subtle 4 x 4 backsplash with accenets is typically an ideal choice...here's a site where you can see examples of tons of tile designs:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Design Options

• claybabe
    11 years ago

NOT.

I really like the Stainless tiles!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

a2gemini suggested vertical tile, but skinnier than the subways I posted above (which I believe are 3x6).

Here are some skinnier options that could also go vertically:

Loft Tuscany Pattern Super White

Tao Icicles

Loft Super White Big Brick

Loft Horizon Super White

Loft Horizon Sand Beach

Loft Horizon Macadamia

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

OHHH I've always adored your kitchen!
    Here's my take: I think you've put it off because you love what you have and don't want anything to compete..... so stay simple.
    Please nothing shiny or glittery to take away from your gorgeous wood and fun knobs!
    I can think of nothing more lovely than a cream colored subway laid in the usual staggered pattern. Maybe with a light tan grout?
    I've used a different color of Walker Zanger Gramercy Park and loved it.... it had just enough crackle and slight waviness to be interesting but understated. I'm not sure but am guessing that this is the Antique Linen colorway.

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

Since it took 5-1/2 years to decide on mine, I wouldn't presume to offer suggestions on yours. When the right idea comes along, you'll know; meanwhile, don't settle for something you don't love.

• gone_south
    11 years ago

LOVE the beautiful cabinets!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would think about using a small square mosaic like this that would pick up on the colors in the flooring, cabinetry and counter:

or

{{!gwi}}

I would cut it into 3x3 squares and place those occasionally against a solid background square ...

{{!gwi}}

I think it would add texture, tie all the colors together and reinforce the checkerboard design without overwhelming the design in the cabinetry.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

I wouldn't go with any pattern in tile, because the pattern in the cabinets is so strong--you don't need more in the room. Nor would I go with white white-- the contrast is too strong to my eye. I would go with an off white, cream, or very light tan plain tile (traditional or glass)-- I think that the vertically placed subways might look good, so would square-- or the steel to match the appliances. The brushed steel squares look good, I would orient them all in the same direction though. There are many choices available in metal finishes; I saw them at the big box stores.

Sorry I can't show any pictures.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I agree with raee on colors--off white, cream or light tan rather than white-white. I think stainless would also work.

I like the idea of a large format tile. Fewer grout lines, less pattern, less to compete with your cool cabinets.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

You know that I love your cabinets and your whole kitchen. I used the same cabinetmaker! Your kitchen has so much personality with the banding at the top and the checkerboard and the smart design.

I would not add any pattern at all to the backsplash area. Either glass or metal but no tiles of any size.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I still like vertical over horizontal subways for some reason (not usually, but in this kitchen); however, I *love* the color of the tile posted by gbsim. It looks easy to live with.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in total agreement with the idea of not adding another design element or another focal point so it's got to be plain and simple.

We tried plain glass sheets but it was too stark. Maybe we should look at frosted/honed glass panels

I think subway tiles are too traditional in style for the kitchen unless we use vertical ones and I'm not positive about that either.

So i used PS and did some mockups and still not loving any of it :(

Vertical Subway but definitely not this color and not my best PS effort LOL

">

Mosaic

">

Horizontal subway

">

Another horizontal subway

">

Square tiles

Finally if anyone has better photoshop skills please feel free to show me your ideas :)

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I think it has to be squares. Big or little, but not subways. Still like the stainless square tiles posted above. Or a glass tile. Not excited about ceramic/porcelain for this kitchen, though I am sure someone could post the perfect one (perfectly flat, straight tight grout, etc) and I would love it.

And I think you could do a vertical checkerboard stripe off center in a couple of locations but I don't PS so maybe someone else can fiddle with that.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Squares for sure and in glass or stainless.

• KBH
    11 years ago

Love that glass subway tile, but not in the subway shape - it seems to compete with the checkerboard squares? Or is using squares too matchy? Backsplashes are so HARD! Our old house kitchen reno was 10 years ago - we sold the house without a BS because we could never figure out what we wanted.
    Honestly, tho, I don't think the plain paint detracts at all. You have so many strong elements already, I think plain might be okay here (scrubbable).

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Lovely kitchen, another fan of the square tiles. Have you checked Heath tiles yet? Certainly not suggesting the green in this color, but the color variation is lovely.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i would do straight glass. not tile, but an uninterrupted sheeting of glass. clear or frosted, i think avoiding grout lines so as not to compete with the pattern in the cabinetry is key. GL!

Here is a link that might be useful: glass bs

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Nice photoshopping! I think you've got me convinced on the squares, but not tiny, busy 1'' squares: at least 2x2, I think (but I'm no designer...just having fun joining the hunt).

The Walker Zanger company that makes the pretty subways tiles gbsim posted makes 3x3s in the antique linen color, too. It has a lovely crackle finish with some slight variation. Gorgeous.

I like these 2x2 burnt umber field tiles, too (ignore the bizarre hercules tile), but I think a little glossier tile might be better - too rustic for your modern kitchen?

These have some pretty variation (too much?), but it's hard to tell what the colors really look like:

4x4 vanilla frappe glossy glass

4x4 cappuccino glossy glass

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

I would look at full color body porcelain tiles, with rectified edges, in large formats. Usually these are meant for floors, but you can certainly put them on walls. They come in 12x24, 12x12, 24x24, etc., and some of them are meant to look like stone, some with really modern straight-line patterns, some with just solid color. That gets you back to the painted-wall look you have now, with the benefit of a ceramic backsplash.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Now that I've seen a few more photos, I'm moving over to the square camp. ;)

I'm still loving the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park and as Jessica said they have a great 3x3 size.

Or something along those simple but handmade looking lines.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

What size are the pieces of checkerboard in your cabs? 6"? Can someone photoshop 6" tiles just for kicks?

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz