Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Struggling to get project started....

lisadlu
9 years ago

I am really struggling with a few major aspects before I can get my remodel started. Any opinions are welcome!

(1) I am going to put a 12" wide pull out pantry between the wall and fridge. Would the pantry be 24" deep (like the counters) or deeper? If I don't frame in the fridge will it look strange with the pantry? If I frame in the fridge will it look cramped because of my small kitchen area? Not sure I want to frame in because I want to keep my pink 1950's canisters on top of the fridge (no other place to put them without cluttering up the counters). Or frame in fridge and do an open box for canisters above fridge and above that a lift up door for hidden storage?

(2) Finishes. What finishes do you envision with satillo tile floors, redwood beamed ceilings, and white dove walls??

Kitchen is 156" wide. I have been spinning my wheels for months on these issues. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another view

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another view

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another view

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

As it is, the cabinet above the fridge is pretty much useless for two reasons - one, all shallow cabinets above fridges are highly inaccessible, and two, you have the doors blocked by the canisters. I'd personally do anything I could to move those canisters elsewhere, but I admit, I'm not a fan of using the top of the refrigerator as a shelf. So yes, I would make the pantry as deep as the refrigerator, making sure the doors of the fridge can open fully, and I'd encase the refrigerator with shelves above for the canisters. I don't know that I'd bother with a closed cabinet above that shelf because it would be so short -- maybe just more shelves?

• Cindy103d
    9 years ago

I love your canisters, but am not a fan of them on top of your fridge. Can they go on the open shelves over the stove, or will those be going away?

I really prefer a framed-in fridge, so would go that route if you can. The pantry will look better and you can have a useable cabinet over the fridge. Great place for storing baking sheets, cutting boards, etc.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I like the idea of framing in the fridge and then having shelves above instead of a cabinet. The canisters are obviously very important to you, so the shelf gives them a nice place of honor.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Yes, leave some open shelving somewhere for those canisters. Either above the refrigerator or in existing location. I agree with others, do not use the top of your refrigerator as a shelf--that looks cluttered in and of itself.

Definitely frame the refrigerator. Buy a counter-depth refrigerator which will tie nicely to the the full height pull out pantry. The pantry should be the same 24" depth as the cabinets.

While I'm sure you will miss that peach tile, you have some very nice pieces of mid-century furniture. I'm sure a contemporary kitchen reno willl accentuate these.

• ctannerilc
    9 years ago

Here's how i would answer your questions.
    1. Frame in the fridge. The 24" deep pantry on the left of the fridge and a panel on the right with a 24 inch deep cabinet above the fridge. To provide symmetry to the fridge/pantry, I would eliminate the range and install a 30 inch oven/micro in a tall cabinet against the right wall. A cooktop goes centered between the fridge and oven with 18 inch cabinets on each side of cooktop, all drawers in side cabinet, cooktop cabinet, oven cabinet. Also, make the pantry 18 inches wide.

Uppers will go above the cooktop cabinets with glass doors to display canisters.

2. With Saltillo floors, cabinets can be white, black, a mix of both. If you must have natural wood, go dark. There's a lot of red and orange in the tiles that can really clash with with a natural maple. How about white for the cooking area and black for the island?

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I had a kitchen with an open shelf On Top of the range hood. The duct was square and ran behind, and a cabinet would have been short and shallow, so rather than a too short, shallow cabinet over the hood, a shelf was built. The back of the shelf popped out to reach the outlet for the microwave.

Something like that might be a spot for your canisters.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't say I agree with the idea of pantry-fridge-oven stack in a small kitchen. We had the oven stack-refrigerator in our early remodel in our previous home and I tore out the oven stack when we remodeled because the whole thing was just too "weighty" (FWIW, I think symmetry is totally overrated - balance yes, symmetry no).

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I agree with SJ, I think on that small of a wall to install all those high cabinets will leave zero counter space. A range with overhead MW will provide maximum space and will, of course, cost less.

Also, consider facing the front side of the island with 12" cabinets to store glasses and other items not used frequently (although you may not have space to do this as that beige linen chair seems quite close to the island).

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU for all your suggestions!!

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

Can you put some shallow shelves on the wall to the right of the sink? This could be a place to display your canisters.