Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen plans! I like them

Posted by ali80ca (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 11:44

Ok...lets try this again! Thoughts, input if I am missing anything that sticks out at you would be appreciated. I know this plan might not work for everyone, but for us it likely will work fantastic. Having lived here for 27 yrs we know what our traffic patterns are. This whole area is much more open then it ever was before. When we first moved here there was a set of stairs that went up from the kitchen and there was also a bathroom in the corner where the second sink will sit.

I just received my plans and thought I would share.
Here is what we started with. Ceiling was dropped, it is now back up to full height, all ready for wiring, insulation and drywall! I can hardly wait!! We live in a very old farmhouse (1895) and have been renovating and insulating for the past number of years.
fridge wall photo IMG_20130328_160056_zps80a0737c.jpg

drop ceiling partially removed photo IMG_20130327_153128_zpsef56d203.jpg

before old bathroom photo 2013-04-01141225.jpg
full height ceiling photo 2013-04-04135154.jpg

big beam photo IMG_20130410_110854.jpg

I drew this and it is not the neatest but it will give you an idea of what we are getting. If you look at the 3d pictures following you will get a better idea of what we are getting. Part of the room is missing on the drawing, but nothing too important is in it. The corner will have a banquette and there will be some shallow cabinets under a window by the door to the dining room. If you wish you can look at the overall plan to get your bearings. It gets much larger and darker if you click on it and then enlarge it again in photobucket!

photo kitchen.jpg

over all plan photo kitchen_0002.jpg

We have a large kitchen approx 20 ft by 21 ft. A tiny corner of it is taken up with a washer and dryer. It is in an area that used to be a closet so there is a dividing wall between it and the rest of the kitchen. In that corner we are going to have a banquette. This is the wall that I refer to as the dining room wall. The cabinets that are surrounding the window on the road wall are only 12" deep, they will be used to store children's books and games.
road wall photo kitchen_0001.jpg

12" fits perfectly without interfering with the doorway to the dining room. On the sink wall we will have 2 sinks, there was plumbing for both so we decided to leave it alone. The second sink near the fridge will be used for thawing the turkey and hand washing before getting snacks and random things like that. The main sink will have a garbage disposal and be used for wash up. Area along the road wall will be my baking center.
road and sink wall photo kitchen_0003.jpg

Area along fridge wall will be for snacks and the toaster, close to the fridge, close to the pantry areas.
sink and fridge wall photo kitchen_0004.jpg

In the corner is a large duct going upstairs that will be hidden behind the cabinets.
duct in corner photo 2013-05-23190619.jpg

The island will be quite large (96 x60 plus spindles), it is not shown on the overall plan(but is on my drawing) but I have included the mockups of the various sides. It will have an induction cooktop with a downdraft vent (I know..I know, not the best option, but it works for us)
island- facing road wall photo kitchen_0005.jpg

island-facing sink photo kitchen_0006.jpg

island-facing fridge photo kitchen_0007.jpg

photo kitchen_0008.jpg

We are thinking midnight for the base cabinets and pebble grey (kraftmaid colours) for the uppers and large wall units. The bookcase area will all be in the midnight colour as will the banquette.

The distance between the sink wall and the island is not set in stone, but I would like to make sure that I can open both the drawers that I will store my dishes in (in the island) and the dishwasher at the same time.

Sorry for the long post!!

This post was edited by ali80ca on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 18:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen plans! I like them

fixed the first posting

This post was edited by ali80ca on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 12:06

o

Ali, my old eyes just can't see the light lines in your drawing but I can answer your question about hardware from my perspective. I wanted to do all pulls as I wanted a unified look. When I found the pulls that I wanted I fell in love with the knobs too. I decided to use knobs on my pennisula upper cabs. The nice thing is that you can do whatever you want and it will look great. Many people use two or three different styles of hardware and it looks terrific. Good luck with your project!.

o

Thanks Holly....the pictures do get larger if you click on them! My eyes can't see the light lines too well either! I was so sorry to read your post about you countertop...I hope you manage to get something done so that you like the end result :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here