Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash that's not tile?

Posted by chrissyb2411 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 11:43

Just looking for thoughts. We are going with a solid surface product for our countertops. ( not a popular choice I know, but we like it ). I'm wondering if doing a tile backsplash might look awkward? The color we chose is called white quartz, bright white with smaller flecks and speckles. I defiantly don't want the integrated backsplash. Any thoughts? We have a maple shaker style cabinet in a praline stain from kraftmaid, and a willow green paint. Would say transitional is our style, and looking for a clean uncluttered look. I thought about metal but I think that would be too modern. Just paint? Solid colored tile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash that's not tile?

Tile would look fine, just like people do tile with stone.

o

A solid surface counter top will be fine. If you love it use it and I think they are one of the most durable and versatile counter top choices. My last home had a solid surface that looked as good when I sold my home as it did when I built it 10 years before.

Your cabinets sound lovely and willow green also sounds so pretty. I would only do tile if you love the look. Otherwise IMO it would be a waste of money. A painted bs is great because it goes perfectly with your walls.

I don't think a metal bs should be ruled out. There is a beautiful stainless steel material with a diamond pattern that is so pretty. It is an option that I am considering and my decorating style is definitely traditional. If you google garden web and stainless backsplash you should find the post that has a link to the ss bs. It was posted a few weeks ago.

Good luck with your decision.

o

I have had painted backslash forever. And am planning the same for my renno. I love being able to hang things on it.

o

I have painted beadboard (the inexpensive sheets) for most of my backsplash. It's simple, but lends a little more interest than just painted sheetrock. It might take your shaker cabinets in a vintage/cottage direction, definitely less modern. A painted backsplash is the norm in most kitchens I see in my area.

o

We were in a similar situation. I considered antique mirror and then decided on a wood panel painted same color as cabs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here