Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

When and what -- sealing carrara marble?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

So I splurged a little on my tiny powder room sink top and bought carrara instead of granite or quartz. By spurge, I mean I know it is delicate. I'm hoping that in a powder room, it will survive staining. The top came unsealed and I think it would be best for me to seal it now before the plumber comes so I can seal around the faucet holes really well. Does that make sense? And what should I use? The vendor suggested Stone Tech which I think is a DuPont product? I have DuPont sealer and enhancer left from doing the kitchen, but I gather those are different products? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (8)

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Stone Tech is made by DuPont and is quite good. I like the "enhancer" version, but suggest you try it on some scrap, if you have any. Generally, it will "deepen" (enhance) the color and character, a bit.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Since we're talking about carrara and StoneTech, I'm in a similar situation.

In the next week I'm having honed carrara installed in my guest bath. When I made my first payment, the fabricator gave me a bottle of StoneTech Revitalizer (Cleaner & Protector). Not sure what it's for. Sealing? Cleaning?

I'm assuming it will have been sealed before install. If not, which product should I use?

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems DuPont makes a load of different sealers. I got overwhelmed on the website. Some ward off water, and some ward off oils and water. Since this is a powder room, I just want to protect it from water; just something to keep the stone from getting those dark wet spots around the faucet and handles.

I think I will not enhance it as I like the soft, subtle look of the pre-cut slab that the vendor (Signature Hardware) sent. I had great luck sealing and enhancing my mosaic stone trim in the kitchen, but it definitely made the veining pop.

Regrettably, I don't have a scrap bit to play with, so I'd best get it right.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Calumin, thanks for the clarification on the Bulletproof vs. Revitalizer. It sounds like the Revitalizer will be for cleaning. Perfect.

I'll be here when they install, and will ask about sealing, what they used, whether I need to apply another coat.

MizLizzie, I'm like you, mostly concerned about water and the occasional guest's makeup mishap. I don't want to darken or enhance, also preferring the lighter, softer look.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did find this -- a Stone Tech high gloss sealer. I wouldn't mind some sheen. I wonder if anyone here has ever tried it? It has the best, albeit limited, reviews on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont high gloss

• calumin
    9 years ago

I am not exactly a sealing expert, but wouldn't you want an impregnating sealer like BulletProof? It will preserve the original look (it did for me, you should try it first if you can) and will protect your surface longer. The sealer you linked is a topical sealer. It will change the appearance of your marble, and it won't last as long as BulletProof.

DuPont StoneTech BulletProof Sealer

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That one does say it's for the most porous surfaces. Dunno. There seem to be more sealers than flavors of Campbell's soup. ???