Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is your dishwasher attached to your granite or the countertops?

Posted by lynw (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 11:37

Just a quick question - Granite people say dishwasher should be attached to the cabinets. Plumber says it should be attached to the granite. Thoughts? Appreciate your help. By the way the kitchenaid installation manual says attach to cabinets for a granite countertop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is your dishwasher attached to your granite or the countertop

Definitely attach it to the cabinets if you have that option - your plumber is wrong.

o

Mine is attached to a small strip of wood set into a groove routed into the bottom of the granite in front of the dishwasher. My granite fabricators/installers and KD did a good job with appliances.

o

attach to the cabinets is my opinion.

o

The wood attached to the granite that momj47 suggests is a good second choice if you have a DW that can't be attached to the side cabinets - but your KA can! You definitely don't want to drill holes into the granite.

o

My carpenter attached the dishwasher on the side to the cabinets. He was afraid to try to attach original clips to the soapstone countertop and so wasn't I.

o

My DW is attached to the Quartz countertop. The plumber used clips and epoxy the counter guys gave him, he epoxied the clips to the underside of the countertop and then attached the dw to it with screws. He may have asked the countertop guys what to do and it apparently was OK with them attaching it to the countertop since they gave him the supplies.

Sue

o

We built a cabinet for the dishwasher. This has a plywood top to which the dishwasher attaches with screws. Nothing is attached to the stone.

o

Ditto to pharaoh's answer.

o

Don't even give it a second thought, attach to the cabinets.

o

My plumber said the same thing. It seems go against prevailing thought here, but our granite fabricator did drill small holes in the granite, which the dishwasher is now attached to.

o

I have a KA and it is attached to the cabinets. If you attach it to the countertop, you may have trouble getting it in and out if you need to service the DW. The tabs on the top can come off and go on the side and then attach to the sides of the cabinets. Very easy.

o

Typically the cabinet has a horizontal 1X2 piece of wood across the top of the DW opening that the DW attaches to. I have never seen a DW connect directly into a countertop.

o

Our fabricator said it can be done either way but suggested we plan on attaching to the cabinets. We have yet to select the granite :(

o

Mine is attached just like momj47's. They milled out a strip from the granite and filled it in with wood and resin and attached the DW to the wood.

o

We did 90% of the kitchen remodel ourselves, but not the granite instln. We found brackets on-line that attach to our KA dishwasher and then attach to the floor, prevents the dishwasher from tipping when the door is opened. They're a KA item, and attach to the back of the washer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here