Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Repost (I think): Please critique this floor plan

caitlinmagner
10 years ago

I thought I posted this a while back, but it didn't come up in a review of my postings. So forgive me.

Please give me your thoughts on this floor plan. Specifically, if you think the eating area should be counter height or table height. And if it makes sense to have it as a fixed island. We do have a formal dining room and table.

I am thinking of doing quartz countertops and butcher block eating table, because I like the look of butcher block.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (13)

• Sms
    10 years ago

I am no layout expert but...

You might want to think about the pantry door bumping into the fridge (perhaps a pocket door could solve that). The island is pretty big and it will be hard to clean the middle of it but it looks like you want the expanded seating. The aisles to the left and right of the sink are a tad narrow too I suppose. Prep sink is a bit far from the stove. It appears that you have upper cabinets on the window wall-- if that is the case you might want to rethink that so that you get more natural light into the kitchen (assuming the view is acceptable).

You might think about putting the clean up zone (sink and d/w) on the window wall to help hide the mess and have the d/w closer to dish storage. Prep is far more time consuming than clean up so you would benefit from having the island serve as the prep zone. Perhaps you would consider a 45" Kohler Stages (or something similar) for island sink since it is wide enough. Of course you could even make the aisles a bit wider if you did that. If you moved the clean up zone to the window you would likely lose the desk and some upper cabinet space in so doing. You could put a beverage fridge to the left of the sink to make it convienient to the family room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stages sink

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I am not a fan of counter height tables and chairs...I find them awkward and uncomfortable ( maybe because I am short)...and maybe trendy...so if it is part of the island, I would go with standard table height. I do like that it is connected to the island.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

For such a nicely sized space, it seems like there really is not much counter space dedicated to cooking or prepping. Do you need that much in kitchen seating considering you have a dining room? Personally, I would eliminate 2 of the table/counter/island seats and consider using the right side wall area as part of the kitchen proper. I would probably put the cleanup zone near what appears to be a lovely window on the right. That way the area around the range (including the island sink) could be focused on cook and prep zones.

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, we are a family of five and I really want the kitchen to be our primary eating space. My preference, too, is to have the eating island be table height.

So are you saying swap the clean up sink with the prep sink? Use the island as a larger prep area? I suppose if prep time takes longer than clean up time, the best view should be from the prep area. Right now, the clean up sink faces the lake and the prep sink faces the wall or my neighbor's (very close) house, depending on where the windows go.

• Sms
    10 years ago

Would definitely put the prep sink on the island so you can visit with company during the most time consuming part of cooking and enjoy the lake view (assuming of course that that view is opposite the island).

As far as the neighbors house and clean up sink goes you can solve that with a decorative window that lets in the light but not the view. Check out how shanghaimom addressed her close by neighbor view...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg052114271803.html

Here is a link that might be useful: window

• Sms
    10 years ago

was thinking something like this...

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I would rather see the cleanup sink where the range is shown currently. Then put the range and fridge on the long wall, flanked by two windows. The long island with prep sink now makes sense as the needed prep space parallels the range. The guests can enjoy the better view out the windows on the cooking wall, and the cook has a LOT more prep room. There's room on 3 sides of the island for plenty of seating as well.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

This island is 54"x120" and nicely accommodates 2 across the narrow ends. The prep sink is offset, so that two or more preppers can enjoy access to water, yet not interfere with anyone standing at the stove stirring the risotto.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like your plan! Here is one of my favorite pictures, with an island/table combination :)
    {{gwi:1487862}}From Farmhouse plans

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone! Love the ideas. Not sure the giant window will work over the clean up sink. Wish it would, but it might be a little obtrusive to our neighbors. The houses here are REALLY close together. You've given me a lot to consider. I appreciate it!

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should note, the lake view is directly across from the clean up sink (in my original layout). The not good view (into neighbor's house) is where the prep sink currently is. :)

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Hi Kitten, is this the thread you are looking for ?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg041004361807.html

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yup, that was it, Angela. Don't know why I couldn't find it before. Thank you!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022