Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Spoon rests: show pix! On counter or outasight?

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Is there a TKO solution to the spoon rest? Decorative element, tucked out of sight when not cooking dinner right now, or other idea? If you manage without a spoon rest, how? (That's the one that puzzles me. You stir a pot of pasta in boiling water and adjacent pan of sauce, expect to stir it again in a couple of minutes, so where does the cooking pot spoon go in between? Surely not directly on the counter to grunge it up?) My current spoon rest is a cutesy strawberry pattern that matched the decor of a house sold in 1993. Browsing at BB&B yesterday I saw lots of chunky stainless spoon rests and trivets, but they were, Idunno, just too chunky?

Comments (30)

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I keep a stack of saucers from an old set of dishes in a drawer next to my cook top. Then whenever I need a spoon rest, I just grab one out of there and use it. Then it goes in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes. This works great for me, especially because I can use more than one in a cooking session if I need to.

They don't match my kitchen, they're not cutesy, etc, but I'm the only one who sees them when I'm cooking since they aren't out on display.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

I have the big OXO stainless rest. Good for spatulas or multiple small things. We keep it out all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO stainless spoon rest

• weissman
    15 years ago

I have a large ceramic one that I got as a gift and keep it on the counter all the time - it's quite attractive. But quite frankly, I often just put the spoons right on the counters - after I cook, the counter next to the range is going to need wiping up anyway, so a few more drippings from the spoons won't make any difference.

• growlery
    15 years ago

Can be anything.

A plain tile. A stone sample. A 1970s "Greetings From Myrtle Beach" ashtray. If you can pick it up and wash it, and it doesn't scratch it's fair game.

I'd just be careful about anything that could melt or ignite: anything near the stove can suddenly be IN the stove. Some plastics can ignite when they reach a certain temperature, even without direct contact with flame.

Maybe you don't need something permanently there. I sometimes use a mug, if it's messy.

• dawn_t
    15 years ago

I ordered this from Lee Valley a few weeks ago, and it's my new favorite gadget.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot Clip

• neesie
    15 years ago

My favorite spoon is one that my mom gave me years ago, it clips onto the side of your pot without getting hot. I use it all the time.

I also have the Pampered Chef spoon rest. It is a small cermic dish and a stainless steel frame that goes around and up, holding the spoon upright. I use it for my wooden spoons or wisks. It cost about ten dollars. I leave that one out on the counter next to the stove.

• patti823
    15 years ago

This is the one I have and I love it because it doesn't have to be out all the time. It's a tool caddy, and the front comes off to be a spoon rest. You can get it at BB&B.

Here is a link that might be useful: simplehuman® Stainless Steel Utensil Holder

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i use a six-inch lodge cast iron skillet as a spoon rest. it looks quite at home on the burner grates of my bluestar.

• cocontom
    15 years ago

We found a cute ceramic palm leaf serving dish before we remodeled that still matches and fits perfectly between the burners.

• gshop
    15 years ago

I have a black ceramic spoon rest that blends in with the stove top. I actually have 2, so 1 can go in the dishwasher and have a fresh one for the next day. Good luck!

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I don't do spoon rests. If I feel the need for one I just pull out a small plate and use that while I'm cooking and throw it in the dishwasher when I'm done.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

I have a white porcelain scallop shell that I think was probably meant for a soap dish, but it's perfect as a spoon rest--big enough to hold a large ladle when it has to.

• cambro5
    15 years ago

I have a small glass cutting board I set on the counter next to the stove and use that for all the greasy spoons, bottles of oils, etc., that I use while cooking. Throw it in the DW when done!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I probably would just make do with whatever is handy, but for my birthday my hubby got me a 3" Lodge cast iron skillet for that purpose. He thought I'd like it because I've fallen so in love with my cast iron cookware. Not something I would have chosen for myself, but it's kinda cute sitting beside the stove and it works. I like the sound of edlakin's larger one, though, because mine doesn't fit every utensil I might want it to, and some things tip out of it.

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

Cutting board. I always have to chop something anyhow, even if its only garlic. Then in the dw for cleanup.

• tess_5b
    15 years ago

We have this one (see link) - love the fact it holds the spoon and pot lid, very handy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pot Lid & Spoon Rest

• alku05
    15 years ago

When we were in Spain last year, our friend's uncle (a paella chef out there) gave us a whole stack of little mini 4" paella pans. We figured someone gave him a whole case as a novelty, but he didn't know what to do with them except give them away. They're like the ones linked below. My guess is We keep a stack of them by the rangetop, and after it's used for dinner it gets tossed in the DW.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• natal
    15 years ago

I have a few. All are pottery. One is always sitting on the stove.

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

I've been wondering what I'd use for a spoon rest in my new kitchen, so this thread was very interesting to me to read. Well, as I was reading, inspiration hit. The Cambria countertop sample that I have is 4"x4" and would be a fine size for this purpose. When I don't need it, it will blend into the kitchen counter quite nicely and yet be handy when I'm cooking.

Thanks for the inspiration!

• janran
    15 years ago

I use a ceramic dish that I brought back from a trip to Italy years ago. It's always out because it's not only functional, but decorative too. This isn't exactly mine, but might give you an idea:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dish details

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I have 2 Farberware silcone rubbery type spoon rests in black (Walmart). I keep them in the small drawer next to the cooktop, with the pot holders. They're great because they're big without being too big, and you just pop them into the dishwasher. I also have used the saucer idea, similar to Janran's as well as a salad plate from our everyday dinnerware when I am going to have several spoons that need a rest.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I have one of those original corn cob dishes that I use, similar to these reproductions from Wms-Sonoma. It's not a perfect spoon rest but I love it because it's a fun piece.

{{!gwi}}

• holligator
    15 years ago

I have a hand-made ceramic spoon rest in the shape of a leaf. I bought it at a crafts booth at Pike Place market in Seattle several years ago. It's decorative, so it sits out all the time except when it's in the dishwasher.

• probookie
    15 years ago

When DH cooks, his ceramic spoon rest and tomato-shaped cooking timer are on the counter, but they live in the upper cabinet next to the stove the rest of the time.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I have a rectangular sample of Bianco Romano that I love that will become my spoon rest. We came upon it on our search for the perfect granite and I fell in love with the sample. Sadly, it is not representative of the actual slabs (at least the slabs we saw).

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

I have a tourist trinket ceramic spoon rest that says "Cancun" and has a palm tree design. It was a gift and does not match anything but it's very functional.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Are you 90 woman? :oP Set it on the counter and wipe up later!! heh heh (freak....you're trying to keep that blue stuff blue at all times aren't you? It would look good with some red sauce) :oP

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

90? Huh?

I'm just glad to see that TKO solutions are more or less the same as my old ones :) You all usually have so many clever ideas -- I'm still amazed at the towel pig, Mockett, and compost crock. I like the granite sample idea, pbris.

This kitchen 99% done phase reminds me a lot of the Barbie doll outfit/accessory phase -- now that we have the perfect Barbie, how can we best accessorize her? playing around with all the different outfits out there :) I think I had a Barbie for about 10 minutes before deciding that I didn't actually care :)

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

I have a very small retangular baking dish (4x6?)from Port Meirion that sets next to the range. It's big enough to hold the messy end of a ladle or stick blender as well as a spoon. I've also been known to put measured ingredients in it that are waiting to be added to whatever I'm cooking. I used to use small odd-ball antique dishes for spoon rests but the baking dish was a favorite piece that developed a hairline crack & I decided to re-purpose it.

• dixielogs
    15 years ago

mine is like Tess's, also holds the lid