Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

Help with Amtico "wood" floor color with gray cabs

jenny1963
9 years ago

Hi
I'm putting Amtico (LVT: wood-style) down on our floor, and am concerned about which shade of Amtico to put down.

We have a Ben Moore Kendall Charcoal painted island and cabs, but do not want to put down anything too trendy (i.e., not grey-ish), but rather something classic (like natural wood is), but that won't clash with our Kendall Charcoal island and cabinets.

Should I be going with gold tones or red tones, orâ¦.???They have some neutral browns (not too gold and not too red), but they're super-rustic looking and I don't want anything too dark. I'm really looking for a medium brown with lots of movement like oak has.

Help!! I'm so so stuck.

Thoughts?

Comments (17)

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I think you have lots of options that will look good, depending on what you like and how dark you think you can go on the floor without the kitchen coming off as too dark. I threw together some samples to look at, and I think any of them would look fine.

Classic walnut (bottom left) pulls in some gray/cool brown without being a trendy "gray." It's the lowest contrast one that wasn't really gray.

I liked a range of their oak options, including red oak (top left), varnished oak (top middle) and French oak (middle left). The blonde oak (middle right) I don't like quite as well, but I think it does work.

The antique wood is really striking, but it's the darkest of the bunch, which could be an issue.

Top row (left to right): Red oak, varnished oak, oiled teak
    Middle row: French oak, Brazilian Rosewood, Blonde oak
    Bottom row: Classic Walnut, Antique wood, American cherry

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow!! You are so super-nice!! Thank you so much for putting that together!!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

The background color is the "charcoal", yes? I like the bottom left Classic Walnut (though it might be too dark?) and the middle left French Oak.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I agree with Jellytoast!
    Classic Walnut, French oak and maybe varnished oak.
    My favorite for a natural look is the French Oak.

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are so great! I knew I'd get help from you. My husband, while darling, just agrees with anything I say, so it's not much help!

• jesshs
    9 years ago

My favorite is the Red Oak (Top L) and the Oiled Teak (Top R). Of course, they are close to what I have in my house. And I am going with a gray cabinet also, although lighter and more taupe then your gray.

You will love your LVT. We have Konnecto in our sunken living room and it is great.

• voila
    9 years ago

Wow cawaps, what a great help you are to Jenny. Isn't Garden Web wonderful! Such great people! By the way, I concur with above choices of walnut, French oak, varnished oak and maybe a maple or blonde oak depending on Jenny's furnishings.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Yes, the background squares are the Kendall Charcoal. I started putting the pics together for myself so I could look at the floors and paint side-by-side. By the time I was done, I had something useful to post.

I only did a small sample of the Amtico offerings, but hopefully it will help you narrow things down.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like varnished oak and french oak the best!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

I love that French Oak color with grays.

There are many pictures of that combination on Houzz and Belgian Pearl emails.

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys (cawaps, particularly) are so SO so great!! This is what the floors look like laid down. The first pic is French Oak and is a good color (although DH thinks it's dark) but doesn't have much variation and is pretty rustic-looking, which I worry will look dated in a few years. The second pic also has charcoal on the walls but with American Oak installed. I'm worried the American Oak will look too golden, but it brightens up the place and has lots of variation (which DH likes). We'd do wide planks. What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having probs posting the pics

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is American Oak with more movement and variation.

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know that the French Oak is probably the best, but the floor is also going in a family room and DH thinks it's too dark. Walnut: lol. Waaay too dark for him, plus, it shows dog hair like no ones' business.

Why is it that natural wood can have golden AND warm (red) tones, but still looks great with grey walls; it functions as a neutral (even though it isn't), while the LVT planks don't seem to function as a neutral classic??

• jenny1963
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the Blonde Oak

• Fran Guerin
    8 months ago

@jenny1963 what did you choose? I love the grand pecan.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH